Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Trying to decide between a 13" and 15" MBP
    I am about to defect from the Windows world back to Apple. I started with a Mac 512 in 1985 and then a Mac SE. I have been away from Mac since.

Windows machines force you to reformat about once a year and I am getting tired of it. I hear that a Mac owner can run the OS unchanged for years without reformatting.

So, I thinking of starting with either a Macbook Pro 13" or 15", I like the lower price of the 13 but I know the 15" has a better graphics card and a faster processor but I might not need it.

I am using MS Office products, Quicken which I will run with Parallels or Boot Camp, am I use the Internet. On occassion, I might use Photoshop. No games and no video editing.

Do I really need the better video card and faster processor of the 15" Macbook Pro?

Thanks,

Trying to decide between a 13" and 15" MBP

Your Mac's Specs
    13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
    I'm using a 13" MBA as my primary computer. So far, it's working out well.

My $0.02.

<< Specs

Trying to decide between a 13&quot; and 15&quot; MBP

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook pro 15" HDAG Late 2011, quad core i7 2.5, 256ssd/750hdd 16gb memory|IPhone 5 32gb|iPad 3 64G
    I am running mbp 15" and have no regrets (only since end of october 2012) however - superb machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus View Post
    So, I thinking of starting with either a Macbook Pro 13" or 15", I like the lower price of the 13 but I know the 15" has a better graphics card and a faster processor but I might not need it.

I am using MS Office products, Quicken which I will run with Parallels or Boot Camp, am I use the Internet. On occassion, I might use Photoshop. No games and no video editing.

Do I really need the better video card and faster processor of the 15" Macbook Pro?
    Of course other than the better graphics hardware & faster cpu...the 15" also has a larger display...which can be useful when away from your desk! But for the tasks you listed...you would probably be fine with the 13".

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Of course other than the better graphics hardware & faster cpu...the 15" also has a larger display...which can be useful when away from your desk! But for the tasks you listed...you would probably be fine with the 13".

- Nick
    Thanks Nick,

This helps. I guess I need to look at the 13 and 15 side by side. A 13" Macbook Pro is equipped similar to my current PC laptop and I have no problem with the speed of my PC. However, I hate that I have to format my PC a few times a year and I have worn the letters off of the keyboard. I know this wont happen with a Mac. However, my PC has a 15" monitor and it seems like the right size.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I would buy the 13" machine and a nice large external monitor to use with it when at home. Granted, the 15" machine has better graphics and speed bench marks but unless you need that extra zip, the $$ you save can be put toward an external monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I would buy the 13" machine and a nice large external monitor to use with it when at home. Granted, the 15" machine has better graphics and speed bench marks but unless you need that extra zip, the $$ you save can be put toward an external monitor.
    This is a good point. I can save almost $500 if I buy a 13" plus it will be a lot easier to lug around.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    This is a good point. I can save almost $500 if I buy a 13" plus it will be a lot easier to lug around.
    The 13" definitely feels smaller & lighter...and as chscag excellently recommended...if you're at your desk at home (or maybe even at work)...a large external monitor is the way to go!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

No.

FWIW, I bought the mid-2012 15" and returned it to get the 13". Much better machine, esp. for the money.

Your Mac's Specs
    rMBP 15"
    I've just bought a 15" rMBP. Having come from a 17" Vaio I decided to go to my local PC World to see the two MBP's in person. I was quite shocked at how small they both are! As a result I bought the 15" as I preferred the extra real estate.
    I guess it comes down to whether you'll be happy with the 13" or will you later feel miffed that you didn't get the 15". It's up to you :-)
    Happy New year and good luck with your decision!

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5 16gb RAM, Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-Core Xeon 6gb RAM OSX 10.9.x
    I have had a 13" Pro for almost a year now and I edit pictures, videos, play some games, use ms office etc. and I haven't had an issue. the 13" model will be more than enough for your uses as you won't really notice the better graphics and cpu with those types of tasks you listed. If you like the larger display you can alway use an external monitor or television when your at home or the office.
    Past Macs: Power PC G4 996mhz, Power PC G5 quad-core, 2006 13" Macbook Intel Core Duo

Thread Information