Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    intermittent Battery messages Good, Normal, Service, Replace

I read the SMC article< yes I actually did that reset, not the response that I hoped for (it seemed temporary) I did that SMC reset abt a month ago. Detail; Over the last 3 days or so my battery has been working fine with excellent performance and long duration.... have you ever the loss in performance is either drastic to non- excistant and that is the main reason why I don't want to waste 129 euro's if I am not sure on the results on a 4year book (with 8GB ddr3 and 2,4 GH) actually still performing grand. btw the 8GB DDR3 I installed only 2 weeks ago, so the higher than advised DDR is not causing it

Quote Originally Posted by bartinl View Post
    Pendlewitch, superd info, very appreciated. Any chance your work related in this field?
    Hi,

It's an interest really, although I have had work related experience over the years designing emergency lighting layouts for buildings (self contained rechargeable Ni batteries) and specifying battery sizes for fire alarm control panels (Sealed Lead Acid).

I inadvertently appeared to contradict Nick earlier, I'm not up to speed with how notebooks monitor charging but it looks like they are looking at the end of the saturation charge which is the second stage and some batteries then just sit there occasionally accepting a topping up charge if their voltage falls below a certain level. LI batteries don't like being over-charged and they are rarely fully charged to capacity (85% typically at cut-off) because there are longer-life benefits associated with setting a voltage threshold.

My assumption would be that the charge protection circuit is seeing the battery's voltage at peak and won't want to apply a charge because it will stress the battery and reduce it's life over time.

I was wondering: if you leave it on charge, does it damage the battery if it's already fully charged?

Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    I was wondering: if you leave it on charge, does it damage the battery if it's already fully charged?
    Well,
    You should, in theory,remove the charger and let the battery's voltage level get back to a more natural level..a bit like warming down after exercise. Most chargers should terminate the charge when the battery is full, and some will apply a topping up charge when the voltage drops to a specified level. I wouldn't get too hung up on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    For anyone interested where this 300 & 1000 battery cycle info comes from:

- 300 cycle (user replaceable batteries)
    - 1000 cycle (non-user replaceable batteries)

…here is the Apple document that explains it:

Mac notebooks: Determining battery cycle count

- Nick

p.s. There actually seems to be a few 500's as well.
    hiya Nick,

Over the last 8 days the battery has worked fantastically, long periods without charging, no sudden deaths or anything. This really makes me think it must be something with hardware or so. I was under the impression it is either worn down or broken down. But sometimes being fabulous, sometimes useless seems a bit hard to follow

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by bartinl View Post
    hiya Nick,

Over the last 8 days the battery has worked fantastically, long periods without charging, no sudden deaths or anything. This really makes me think it must be something with hardware or so. I was under the impression it is either worn down or broken down. But sometimes being fabulous, sometimes useless seems a bit hard to follow
    Do you think that:

1. This is because something we discussed in this thread helped?
    2. Is 8 days in a row of normal operation a good sign? Meaning is this a longer period of time for it to be operating normally than usual?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Do you think that:

1. This is because something we discussed in this thread helped?
    2. Is 8 days in a row of normal operation a good sign? Meaning is this a longer period of time for it to be operating normally than usual?

- Nick
    well - it is not number 1 ;-) although the advise was appreciated and useful. However no new leads how to identify the real cause.
    regarding number 2... that is an interesting quote... usual was when there was a predictive factor. Now there is none.... although it seems to have a short recovered period if you wanna call it like that, but not due to any remedial actions of mine since I posted the topic..

does that make sense?

Thread Information