Cool Help me choose best 2012 Mac
    Hello, I am looking to purchase a new Mac. Main use is for photography. Other some gaming and Surfing the web.

I've looked at MacBook pro 13 and Mac air 13.. However draw back is no dedicated graphics card.(which is my main need)

2nd option is new mbp 15 non retina. Or get the retina.

I like to have SSD and 8gb ram. So by adding those in the price goes to 2399. $200 more than retina base model. Without the benefits. So what would be best for me? Am I missing some choices

Thanks for your help

P.s not interested in desktops due to portability.

Help me choose best 2012 Mac

Your Mac's Specs
    iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    I would say get the retina. For what you are using it for, you will have a beautiful picture in front of you, with stock 8GB of RAM and SSD. The Retina MBP is a power horse built for photography and video editing. So, it will be great for what you are going to use it for.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBloodBrother View Post
    I would say get the retina. For what you are using it for, you will have a beautiful picture in front of you, with stock 8GB of RAM and SSD. The Retina MBP is a power horse built for photography and video editing. So, it will be great for what you are going to use it for.
    +1 to retina display. Take that 200 and buy an external for more storage, or for backing up the computer.
    Winter is Coming.

Scott I would echo SF's advice. I think you need to breakdown your exact requirements a bit more in detail. I have played around with the MBP Retina and can it is pretty great but there are drawbacks. Is a matte screen important when doing your work? Are there any specific things you use daily when mobile? For example I use Ethernet all the time and need a matte screen. New MBP does have reduced glare but it is no matte screen for sure.

If connectivity ports are fine and screen glare levels are acceptable then I would go for the retina.

Best advice is to go to an apple store and see for yourself, if not then look at videos of reviews...as many as possible to see as much of it as you can. Unboxing videos will give a good indication of glare levels.

Quote Originally Posted by StMFA View Post
    +1 to retina display. Take that 200 and buy an external for more storage, or for backing up the computer.
    I have a 1TB 3.0 external hdd dedicated to photos.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBell View Post
    Scott I would echo SF's advice. I think you need to breakdown your exact requirements a bit more in detail. I have played around with the MBP Retina and can it is pretty great but there are drawbacks. Is a matte screen important when doing your work? Are there any specific things you use daily when mobile? For example I use Ethernet all the time and need a matte screen. New MBP does have reduced glare but it is no matte screen for sure.

If connectivity ports are fine and screen glare levels are acceptable then I would go for the retina.

Best advice is to go to an apple store and see for yourself, if not then look at videos of reviews...as many as possible to see as much of it as you can. Unboxing videos will give a good indication of glare levels.
    thank you for you advice. It sure is a hard call..

If i configure the non retina base model to match that of the retina one. I am adding ram, ssd, and anti-glare screen. it will run me about $2499.
    thats also missing half a gb of dedicated graphics and 1 lb heavier.

I've thought about both its hard to decide. I guess i have a few weeks (till mbpR is in my apple store)
    ethernet connection isn't a problem and I could always get a adapter.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    I say retina with the 16gb RAM upgrade, the RAM is inboard and not upgradable. This is exactly what I ordered, I use 4gb on lion with just a few apps, I actually had 6gb in mine at one point it run a little better, but still ran out quickly. I do a little gaming here and there, but this is without gaming, so my games get really bad.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
    Hello, I am looking to purchase a new Mac. Main use is for photography. Other some gaming and Surfing the web.
    Your thread title says, "Help me choose the best 2012 Mac."

Given what was written in your original post (that you seem to be looking for a notebook computer)...I think the question you really want an answer to is..."Help me choose the best 2012 Macintosh notebook computer."

Apple sells desktop computers as well!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Apple sells desktop computers as well!

- Nick
    They do?!? No way!
    Winter is Coming.

Thread Information