"Budget" RAM vs. "High-end"/"Name brand" RAM. Experiences?
    Hey everybody. It's nice to be a part of these forums after lurking for quit some time. Anyway, I am looking to upgrade my late 2011 15" MBP to either 8GB or 16GB of RAM, but am not sure whether to go with the Komputerbay "budget" RAM or a Corsair or OWC "name brand" RAM kit. Not sure what the difference really is because it seems that they're both the same speed and would therefore act the same, since RAM, form what I've heard, it really either hit-or-miss.

So it's between:Komputerbay "budget" RAM
    or Corsair "name brand" RAM
    and maybe even OWC "High end" RAM

I've heard great things about OWC but am a little hesitant to buy because of the high price relative to these others. Almost $100 more. Does it really make any difference?

Have any of you had any bad experiences with cheaper RAM (or even good experiences with higher-end RAM)? Or is it all the same? Thanks so much for your time, best wishes to all, and for those of you upgrading to the new MBP when it comes out, enjoy your machine! It should be great!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    There are so many different folks selling ram...and there are so many different manufacturer labels on ram.

Personally I don't pay any attention to whether the ram is "high-end", "low-end", or whatever "end". How is this "quality level" measured anyway??

What I do pay attention to is...who is selling the ram...and how well do they stand behind what they sell. I don't really care what label is on the ram...if the store selling the ram guarantee's the ram to work...or they'll replace it for free...that's the ram I want & the place that I want to purchase the ram from.

This is why we almost always recommend purchasing ram from either Crucial.com or macsales.com (OWC).

In many cases...much of this ram is unlabeled when it ships from the very few manufacturers of ram worldwide. When the ram gets to the eventual seller...then they stick their label on it ("Crucial" ram, "OWC" ram, "Komputerbay" ram..etc. etc.). This is why at the end of the day...many brands of ram are exactly the same (if they are sold as Macintosh compatible)...the difference many times is the warranty behind the ram....which is dictated by the seller of the ram.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Get at least name brand RAM. Cheap RAM often leads issues down the road. Also make sure it has a lifetime warranty. If it goes bad, you can get it replaced.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Crucial, Corsair, OWC, Kingston are the only brands that I trust for RAM. There are others but seems pricey compared to four that I listed.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    You're not really paying for "different" RAM when you buy from a known manufacturer, you're paying for customer service and better quality control. Those things are absolutely key when dealing with such sensitive items. If QC is sub par, there's more of a chance you'll get duds. And if customer service stinks, they won't care.

You get what you pay for.

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    See signature
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Crucial, Corsair, OWC, Kingston are the only brands that I trust for RAM. There are others but seems pricey compared to four that I listed.
    I'd add Mushkin to that list.
    Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
    iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    FWIW, while I agree that you should buy RAM from a reputable brand, when i was a student I bought "Komputerbay" RAM for my old MBP, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the product.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

The only difference "performance" wise is the Cass latency. Basically the Corsair and the OWC are the same even in the CL rating... And the lower the CL, the better it will be....

Thread Information