Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    I've been stupid and spilled milk less tea on my 2010 October MacBook. It was on at the time and nothing happened to what was on screen. I've now switched it off and disconnected it, and wiped the keyboard, and placed it upside down on a soft cotton cloth on a chair seat. Does the fact that there were no changes on the screen give me any hope that there is no damage to the machine? Shall I only know after 72 hours? Should I open it up and check inside? For this model I know that the battery is not removable. I'm not sure if I should wait the 3 days or so before opening it to clean, or if I should clean it right away. When I open it will I see if the tea reached inside from any indicator?

I know my questions might seem repetitive, but I did read through the entire thread, I promise.

The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oochy View Post

I know my questions might seem repetitive, but I did read through the entire thread, I promise.
    If you read thru the thread…then you should have seen a common result. In many/most cases…liquids + computer = dead computer!

The lesson here is…don't consume liquids near laptop computers…unless someone is willing to face the consequences of accidents. This can be a very expensive lesson…but something that won't soon be forgotten!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Spilled Liquid on MacBook--Impact on Memory
    I knocked over some red wine which splattered on to my MacBook keyboard, causing certain keys not to function properly. I powered off last night, and this morning the computer would not boot up. I did not read this thread until 11 hours after the accident, and only then removed the battery as well. I am overseas without an access to Apple technicians and will have to wait at least 3 weeks before I can find an Apple Store. I was overdue for a new MAC, but my main concern is whether I will be able to recover my files and photos from my old Mac?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Usually a serious spill destroys the keyboard and logic board beneath it. Which means your Mac is dead in the water. However, most spills do not destroy the hard drive which is protected somewhat. Open up the machine and remove the hard drive. Place the hard drive in an external USB SATA carrier. Then attach it to another Mac and copy your data from it.

Thanks to CHSCAG
    Thanks for that assurance. Unfortunately I am in Haiti at present, and do not have access to another MAC machine or SATA carrier, nor is there any Apple support facilties in Port au Prince (although I will check). I might be able to find a MAC IT person at the U.S. Embassy, but that's closed for another 3 days. If I can't remove the hard drive for a while, does that pose any additional problems for the memory and files?

Your Mac's Specs
    I recommend removing the hard drive as soon as you can in order to avoid any of the wine spillage from getting on it or into it. There are delicate electronics on the drive itself which means you don't want to risk any further problems. Removing the drive is easy. I'm not sure about your model but I believe you may need a phillips screwdriver and possibly a torx driver.

Removing Hard Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I recommend removing the hard drive as soon as you can in order to avoid any of the wine spillage from getting on it or into it. There are delicate electronics on the drive itself which means you don't want to risk any further problems. Removing the drive is easy. I'm not sure about your model but I believe you may need a phillips screwdriver and possibly a torx driver.
    Thanks again CHSCAG. I miraculously found a phillips screwdrive small enough to remove the hard drive. The label paper and surface of the HD were not wet and do not appear stained, so I am hoping that is a good sign. Do you recommend waiting 72-96 hours for the rest of the circuits to dry out, reinsert the HD, and try to boot it up--or should I just wait for 3 weeks, buy a new laptop, and see if the data transfers? As you might be able to tell, I am a techno-dinosaur with these things.

Your Mac's Specs
    I would wait until you get back home and then place the drive back in the machine hoping that it will boot and work normally. However, before you do that, follow what I told you above about copying the data off your hard drive first. You can do all that back home where you'll have access to an Apple store.

Final Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I would wait until you get back home and then place the drive back in the machine hoping that it will boot and work normally. However, before you do that, follow what I told you above about copying the data off your hard drive first. You can do all that back home where you'll have access to an Apple store.
    Roger, copy. Will do. Appreciate assistance. Happy holidays and safe flying.

Your Mac's Specs
    Read through the entire thread (from the beginning) above your post to learn how to deal with the coke spill.

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Macbook Pro (late 2011) A1278
    It seems like a lot of help is being offered here, something which I've been in desperate need of.

My story goes a little like this––

Friday evening, I'm surfing away at my laptop with a full glass of Coca Cola just inches away from the MBP. My sister, who was beside me, sort of… flails her arms from excitement, and she accidentally knocks over the glass of Coke. (My fault since I put it there, that much I admit)

As for the spill itself, only a small amount of Coke actually reached the laptop, as most of it spilled onto the table itself. A small pool formed just above the ESC key, the function keys, and the disc eject key. Although I turned it off and flipped it over immediately, I'm certain a minute amount seeped inside the keys anyway.

I've kept it off, disconnected from power sources, and dry for about 3 days now. The spill was last Friday, November 2nd, 10:20PM, and I haven't touched it since.

Judging from the magnitude of the spill, I was kind of hoping to hear that there was minimal to no damage at all.

Is there anything directly underneath the keyboard that could have been compromised? Should I be worried about it?

Please help me, Mac Forums. It's been driving me insane.

EDIT: I've taken most of the steps listed here, with the exception of opening up the Mac. It's the only thing I'm deathly afraid of.
    Last edited by Chair; 11-05-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added information; Gross Error

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chair View Post
    Please help me, MacRumor.
    Sorry…but we are NOT MacRumors! If you're going to post the same message on multiple internet forums…at least modify your post! It's sort of insulting!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Sorry…but we are NOT MacRumors! If you're going to post the same message on multiple internet forums…at least modify your post! It's sort of insulting!

- Nick
    Oh my Gosh! I am so sorry Nick! No, this is the only website on which I've posted. I was so flustered I'm sorry I'll edit it right away!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chair View Post
    Oh my Gosh! I am so sorry Nick! No, this is the only website on which I've posted. I was so flustered I'm sorry I'll edit it right away!
    Thank you very much for correcting that!

As far as your liquid spill problem. It's hard to say exactly if anything under the keyboard got wet. It really depends on how much liquid was spilt. I know you said that only a small amount of Coke got on the keyboard…but honestly…in these "freak-out" type situations…it's sort of hard to quickly estimate how much liquid got on/in the computer.

Beneath the keyboard is the logic board…and this is something you DEFINITELY do not want getting wet! The only 100% way of being sure no liquid got on the logic board…would be to disassemble the computer and check (since Coke is very easy to spot).

If there truly was not much Coke spilt on the laptop…most likely the worst damage is going to be some sticking keyboard keys. But if more than Coke was spilt than mentioned above…then the logic board may have been effected.

It's really hard to say. The less liquid spilt on the computer the better.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thank you very much for correcting that!

As far as your liquid spill problem. It's hard to say exactly if anything under the keyboard got wet. It really depends on how much liquid was spilt. I know you said that only a small amount of Coke got on the keyboard…but honestly…in these "freak-out" type situations…it's sort of hard to quickly estimate how much liquid got on/in the computer.

Beneath the keyboard is the logic board…and this is something you DEFINITELY do not want getting wet! The only 100% way of being sure no liquid got on the logic board…would be to disassemble the computer and check (since Coke is very easy to spot).

If there truly was not much Coke spilt on the laptop…most likely the worst damage is going to be some sticking keyboard keys. But if more than Coke was spilt than mentioned above…then the logic board may have been effected.

It's really hard to say. The less liquid spilt on the computer the better.

- Nick
    It wasn't much Coke, really, most of it spilt on the table. I'm not having any sticking keys, though. Sure, the surface of the keys is sticky, but they don't "stick". There was one time my sister tried to help me disassemble the computer, though we only got as far as getting the cover off—screws and all. The next parts were too complicated to follow. I don't have the steadiest hands, so I fear I might do more bad than good.

From what I saw, though, the inside was dry and devoid of any Coke stains. That did nothing to calm me down, though, I still feel uneasy

I'm so sorry for the MacRumor thing!

Thread Information