Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    There is an authorized apple repair place in town that charges $50 for a diagnostic, which I may do, but they said average repair for water damage can range from $600-1400. So should I look into repairing or just cut my losses and hope I can salvage what's on my hard drive? I need to do something soon, getting tough doing work stuff on my phone. Thanks for the input.
    Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Sorry your first post in our forums had to be this.... Not much you can do at this point in time about the water damage. If your MBP had been turned off and caught in the rain, you might have had a chance of recovery. But being turned on, it's likely your logic board (mother board) was fried from the water shorting it out.

Repairing it will probably cost more than you would want to pay. It may be best to salvage what you can from the hard drive by removing it from the MBP and placing it in a USB carrier and extracting your data with another Mac.

Using a Vacuum Cleaner on MBP after a spill?
    I tried this after I had a minor spill on my MBP: 3" diameter of apple cider in the middle of the keyboard.

If you've had a spill on the keyboard and already mopped up all the liquid such that none is now visible and want to get the moisture out of the inside, this might just work.

Using a vacuum cleaner, first vacuum up 1/2 to 1 cup of rice (or sawdust or finely shredded paper).

Then, use the vacuum across the top of the keys. The suction will either take the micro-droplets into the vacuum (where hopefully the rice will absorb it), or the fast moving air will cause the moisture to evaporate. Go over it for 5 to 10 minutes.

I would think you'd only vacuum the places where the water hit, since where it hit is where the water leaving would cause the least damage. Eg, if water entered by the keyboard, do not put the vacuum nozzle at the fan area in the back of the macbook; this would cause sucked-up water to travel into areas water hasn't touched yet.

Obviously, too much water in a vacuum cleaner will kill the vacuum cleaner. (And, I know it doesn't take much water at all to kill most vacuum cleaners.) But theoretically this is for the situation where you've already cleaned up every bit of moisture you can from the outside.

Liquid+Exams=Help
    Hi there, a mate of mine accidentally knocked over a bottle of water, which spilled half it's contents over the keyboard of my MacBook. I immidiately turned it off, cleaned up as much as i could and shut the lid. About an hour later, having not read this thread, I turned it on again. None of the buttons on the keyboard worked, so i shut it down again. I took it home and opened it up, dried it as well as i could with a hairdryer (cold air) and closed it up again. As it is now, only two rows of buttons work, and my exam period starts right about now. The computer is about 4 years old, and i was thinking of replacing it soon anyway. So my question is now, do you reckon that these buttons are broken for good, or will the water slowly evaporate and make it all right again?

I have had it turned off and in the teepee position as much as possible, but I have had it turned on for some time, not knowing that i shouldnt have. It has been 2 days now, and nothing has improved so far, besides the two rows of buttons that suddenly worked again after an hours time.

Your Mac's Specs
    The major problem is not going to be with the keyboard but with the logic board which sits below it. Anything shorted out on that board due to the water spill will require replacing the entire board. Not worth repairing.

Hmm
    So youre saying that i have probably shorted my logic board, and it is unlikely that it will improve further?

Edit: I just thought that a short would have messed up the entire logicboard, and left ALL the buttons useless, instead of just half of them

Your Mac's Specs
    We don't know if anything was shorted out on the logic board or, if any damage was done by the water. However, if you go through all the spill threads you'll see that water damage can show up later on. Right now, half the keys are not working. In the future.....?

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    We don't know if anything was shorted out on the logic board or, if any damage was done by the water. However, if you go through all the spill threads you'll see that water damage can show up later on. Right now, half the keys are not working. In the future.....?
    Then I definitely feel obliged to buy a new one tomorrow, wouldnt risk sitting at an exam and suddenly have the computer throw a hissy fit!

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, there you go... now you have an excuse to buy a new machine. Also, I might suggest buying a notebook stand. Not only does it help keep the machine cool, it provides some protection against those nasty spills.

Keyboard Issue
    Hi there!
    Today, I spilled some cleaning liquid on my MacBook (2009). After the usual measures, the laptop is still working as it should (yay!). However, I'm having some keyboard issues, which are quite similar to the person that posted right before me..
    At first the "special keys" seemed to be stuck (not physically, but they did act like they were stuck). The shift, cmd and option key were turned on, either one of them or a combination. If I opened the onscreen keyboard however, it did not always show these keys were activated. I could also not use the onscreen keyboard by clicking the onscreen keys, it did nothing.
    So I shut down the laptop and cleaned the keyboard thoroughly. I lifted the keys, used compressed air to blow away dirt, let it dry. I replaced the keys and they look and feel as before.
    When restarted, none of the keys was acting like it was stuck, the online keyboard was working again (a step forward, surely), but the actual keys of the internal keyboard are now not responding at all!
    I'm using my laptop now with an external bluetooth keyboard, and that works perfectly fine. So I guess the million dollar question is: Have I ruined my keyboard?
    So, as I said, similar problem to the person before me, but also slightly different. Would experts make the same diagnosis on my keyboard (aka give it up, its ruined, or is there something else I can try)?

Edit: Is is possible to just have the keyboard replaced?
    Last edited by EmmaVdW; 05-23-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    It is possible to have the entire keyboard replaced and maybe that will be all there is to it. But if you've read through or at least scanned through this entire Sticky Thread, you'll see that troubles can turn up in the future. Cleaning fluid generally contains a lot of alcohol which tends to evaporate quickly, but there are also other ingredients that are very volatile and can damage your computer. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks! Yes, I have read the other posts and it did not make me very hopeful. But so far everything is working fine, except the keyboard.
    Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the keyboard?
    My laptop is quite old (for a laptop anyway, almost 4 years), so if it is very expensive I might not bother getting it replaced and just get a new one in a while. I have the wireless keyboard to tie me over in any case.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaVdW View Post
    Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the keyboard?
    Who's doing the replacing...Apple or you?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    You might want to check on eBay for a used or even new keyboard for your Mac. Have your exact model number on hand when you do. Also, assuming you can do the work yourself, it may not be expensive. Having someone else do it for you always involves paying labor costs.

A new keyboard can be purchased from several places:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

Apple Parts.com

Thank you for the links chscag!
    I guess if I make Apple do it, it will possible cost me my firstborn child...
    But I am no computer expert (though I know how to put together Ikea furniture, this might take a higher skill at screwing and fitting things together), so I don't know if I could handle it myself. I might buy a replace keyboard and take it to a regular computer shop as a middle ground though. It will all depend on how fed up I get with the problem .

Edit: A quick search yielded results. Replacement keyboards (or rather complete upper casing) range between 150 (refurbished) and 250 (new) dollars. It is also said not to be very difficult to replace (especially if you have the complete upper casing), but it mostly takes patience and time. So if anybody has the same issue, those are the facts...

A "true second hand" one may be even cheaper (though I haven't found any yet), but the refurbished ones do come with a 6 month warranty, so that's nice.
    Last edited by EmmaVdW; 05-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaVdW View Post
    Edit: A quick search yielded results. Replacement keyboards (or rather complete upper casing) range between 150 (refurbished) and 250 (new) dollars. It is also said not to be very difficult to replace (especially if you have the complete upper casing), but it mostly takes patience and time. So if anybody has the same issue, those are the facts...

A "true second hand" one may be even cheaper (though I haven't found any yet), but the refurbished ones do come with a 6 month warranty, so that's nice.
    So to those prices add the cost of labor for the install if Apple was to do it...and then you have a better idea of what it would cost to have Apple do it.

I think that you'll find that the value of your 4 year-old Apple computer is probably such that spending that sort of money wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Leaving you with the least expensive option of doing it yourself.

Be aware. It's very possible that something else could have been effected. So if you replace the keyboard...something else could pop up now or in the future. That's the problem with liquid spills.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. I just double checked...and saw that you have a 2009 MacBook. Rough estimate on it's current value...about $400 bucks. So you really want to be careful how much $$$ you invest getting it repaired.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information