Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: 13" or 15"?

13" or 15"?
    So I have really been on the edge of getting my first Mac or not, I really do want to see what all this Mac stuff about. I am going to see what the new MBP looks like, and if it is disappointing (I want a DVD drive!) then I think it will be beneficial since I like the current ones and the price will be discounted. However I still don't know what to get when that time comes.

From what I understand, the 13" has only a dual core when the 15" has quad core. So is there a significant upgrade performance wise in the 15"?

How are the speakers in the 13"? I see at the stores they are behind the aluminum. Is the sound quality bad from them? (when my roommate is gone I like to listen to music without head phones)

Screen size does not matter to me, I would go with the 13 just because of price but that Dual core and the fact speakers are hidden bothers me. Basically, can the 13" do everything a 15" can?

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    You are correct. The current 13-inch MacBook Pro's have a dual-core processor compared to the quad-core for the 15-inch models. Without knowing what you plan on doing with it, we have no idea if the dual-core will suffice or not. The speakers will be fine on either. I have yet to see a notebook with better speakers than the MacBook Pro's.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Compare MacBook Pro technical specifications.

I had the same issue when purchasing my Mac. I ended up choosing the 15" because of the processor, I am a coder and i need the horsepower to compile and run the code. The graphics card is different also, it is much better on the 15". The speakers are amazing on all the Macs, I had no idea Apple had such a hand in sound tech.
    It also comes down to price there is a 600 dollar difference. If you have a student discount USE IT, i saved over 300 dollars buying mine.

These Macs can do anything without even batting an eye.

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    All good points by Ken051. In the last week I have went from a 17-inch Pro to a 13-inch Air. Do I miss the size of the screen? Sometimes. Do I love carrying around a notebook that weighs next to nothing? Yes! So far so good.

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Personally I could not give up the screen real estate of my 17 (or the horsepower). If I don't feel like carrying it, I take my iPad, however it really doesn't weigh much nor is it unwieldy. the right bag fixes all.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Slip
    I have a slip that I carry my Mac in, it really doesn't hinder me.

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    Personally I could not give up the screen real estate of my 17 (or the horsepower). If I don't feel like carrying it, I take my iPad, however it really doesn't weigh much nor is it unwieldy. the right bag fixes all.
    Horsepower was part of the problem. It was an older C2D. I also have an iPad, but I cannot get any work done on it. I have an awesome OGIO bag. Fits the 17-inch like a dream. It's for sale

I think I have basically set on the 13". In a way I just want to get an Apple just to try the Mac OS but it sucks having to drop $1100 just to try something out (I can get student pricing) Right now I have a Dell XPS, it has the same dual core i5 as the early 2011 and the Mac performs about the same. I think if I get it, it will be a travel computer as I plan to start doing lots of videos, and typing for school because the Dell's keyboard is a little mushy. But it's screen and sound system is too good for me to let go.

Also I will probably get a Mac when the new model comes out, I doubt that I will like the new ones(want customization) so the current models that I like will be cheaper

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Well the good news is there are no more restocking fees (if you buy it from Apple or someplace else that has the same policy). If you don't like it you can take it back. My guess is it won't be going back

If I buy one from the online store, can I return it at a local store?

13" or 15"?
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    I know back in the day the policy for custom ordered Mac's was different than the base models. I am not sure if that is still the case or not:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Ok thanks, I'll just wait until the time comes to make the decision of whether to get it from online or my school.

Quote Originally Posted by TabletRevlution View Post
    No - at least not in Canada.

I purchased an iPad online, decided i wanted 3g, and took it to the mall. They could not exchange it.

I had to walk to the post office, ship it back, etc.

I am also trying to decide between Pro or Air to upgrade. I found a really good deal with a Best Buy discount code online for the Air, but I think i do want the bigger screen and disc drive. I will just have to wait it out to find a better deal for one. No student discount for me :<

Quote Originally Posted by TabletRevlution View Post
    Yes, at least you can in the US. I recently did this because I bought the 15" Pro with the hi-res Anti Glare. I sold my air as I really wanted more screen real estate and I've had Pro's in the past and the size was never an issue for me. I hated the Anti-Glare screen and wanted to exchange it for the glossy. Colors seems so washed out and it just didn't look right to me. I guess it could depend on the person you get at the store, but they didn't give me any problems and only wanted my web order number in order to make the exchange.

Anyway, in my opinion if you can get the 15" I would get it. The extra screen size is fantastic and the additional power is also a bonus. Also, the speakers are better than the 13 inch model being that they aren't covered and have a dedicated speaker grill. My wife has a 13" 2011 Pro and the speakers are much louder on mine and also clearer.

Thread Information