Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    I have a mid-2008 MBP and thinking it's time to upgrade soon.

    Is it wise to upgrade now or wait or is there talk of a significant new offering coming down in terms of this product line?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Rep Power
    13
    If you can wait up to 6 months, then it's worth the wait. If it's something you need now, get one now. I'm in the market and will be waiting for next best MBP coming up in 2012.

    Of course, that way of thinking could drag out forever and you'll never upgrade but you have to make the leap at some point. Just saying...
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  3. #3
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    8,174
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Rep Power
    22
    You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  4. #4
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,881
    Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.

    I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient .


    Seriously though, updates typically come in the spring and fall. If the 08's working for you now, I'd wait a couple months and see what the next update is like. The jump from the 08 to the 11 was HUGE.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  5. #5
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?

    Member Since
    Feb 03, 2012
    Posts
    7
    Your Mac's Specs
    13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods
    Rep Power
    0
    I also agree if your MBP is working fine, then there is no rush to buy I would just wait it out. the new MBP should be pretty impressive and you'll be happy you waited.

  6. #6
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    8,174
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient . . .
    That makes two of us.

    I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro to (hopefully!) come out . . .
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  7. #7
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,211
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Rep Power
    15
    I'm in the same exact boat as you. I'm waiting. No point in switching now...it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

  8. #8
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    McYukon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 14, 2009
    Location
    Near Whitehorse, Yukon
    Posts
    2,052
    Your Mac's Specs
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Rep Power
    13
    it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?
    Unless he's like my Dad, 1 Browser, 5 windows and 10-20 tabs per window.
    I go crazy when I try and use his system. Everything you do has a average 3-5 sec delay because of the system is RAM and CPU starved… Hope he doesn't read this forum
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

  9. #9
    Yeah, my 08 MBP is working fine, especially since I recently upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6!! Still need to go all the way and get Lion... Anyhow, just prolonging the inevitable full-out replacement scenario. If something big is forthcoming, I'll hang on and go for that instead!

    Thanks all!

  10. #10
    This is actually an extremely helpful thread that I'm glad I stumbled apon this morning.

    I bought a mbp 15' 14 days ago (today) and I'm contemplating actually returning it today for a full refund.

    I was not aware that the new mbp might be coming out within the next month or two. J

    The retinal display alone is something that I would be VERY interested in, and can manage a month or two without the mbp.

    Problem is... there's actually no real word on when the 2012 mbp will be released. I'm going to play it safe and return for a full refund and try to wait it out.

    Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?

  11. #11
    Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,881
    Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 2headedboy View Post
    Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?
    The only people who do, would never say a thing. It's not public information until announce, and Apple doesn't pre-announce.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  12. #12
    I'll upgrade to 'last years model' and grab a bargain, hopefully!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by 2headedboy View Post
    I was not aware that the new mbp might be coming out within the next month or two. J
    Could still be 3 or 4 months - who knows...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dekan View Post
    Could still be 3 or 4 months - who knows...
    Yeah, looks like my mbp is in mid-cycle. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm very happy with the mpb and it would just be annoying to wait that long.

    Atleast they have high resale value. I can always just sell and upgrade if I absolutely must have the new mbp.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook Pro - buy now or wait?
    By jclui in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
  2. Macbook pro NOW or wait?
    By antman2x2 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
  3. Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    By LOTRsolidsnake in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
  4. I need a MacBook Pro...should i wait or get it now?
    By SunnyDelight227 in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
  5. MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait?
    By Spicky in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •