Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mjsw999
    Guest
    Question iBooks Performance Question
    Hi,

    I've recently purchased a 300MHz iBook with 68 MB RAM and I want to run OS X on it. All I want to use Microsoft Office and surf the net. Will this handle Jaguar if I upgrade to 160MB RAM? I noticed that the jaguar box says a G3 iBook needs 128MB ram to run it but from some of the other threads I've read this seems unlikely...

    Also, is it difficult to upgrade RAM by yourself on an iBook?

    Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

    Cheers,

    MJ.

  2. #2
    iBooks Performance Question
    Padawan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 21, 2003
    Location
    Coruscant, Galactic Republic
    Posts
    1,185
    Your Mac's Specs
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsw999
    Hi,

    I've recently purchased a 300MHz iBook with 68 MB RAM and I want to run OS X on it. All I want to use Microsoft Office and surf the net. Will this handle Jaguar if I upgrade to 160MB RAM? I noticed that the jaguar box says a G3 iBook needs 128MB ram to run it but from some of the other threads I've read this seems unlikely...

    Also, is it difficult to upgrade RAM by yourself on an iBook?

    Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

    Cheers,

    MJ.
    I would personally upgrade to 320 MB by installing a 256 MB chip. You can get one for around $50, and I think you'd be happier with the result on your iBook. As for installing it, it's very simple. Here's a link that should help you: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26244
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

    Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

  3. #3
    iBooks Performance Question
    Emrys's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,345
    Your Mac's Specs
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    Rep Power
    18
    Yup, stuff a little more RAM in there.. Max it out, if you can. That will make your experience much better. I've never used a Mac with a MHz rating less than my 800MHz iBook, so I can't say what it would be like to run anything on something of that speed. But RAM will definitely make it a more pleasurable experience. This goes for all computers, not just Macs. When it doubt, max it out!
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

  4. #4
    iBooks Performance Question
    Emrys's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,345
    Your Mac's Specs
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    Rep Power
    18
    Don't know if this is an Apple specific module, or if you really need an Apple specific module, but here is a 512MB chip from WeLoveMacs.com : http://www.welovemacs.com/apple-memo...ax-pc100-.html.
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

  5. #5
    iBooks Performance Question
    Padawan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 21, 2003
    Location
    Coruscant, Galactic Republic
    Posts
    1,185
    Your Mac's Specs
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys
    Don't know if this is an Apple specific module, or if you really need an Apple specific module, but here is a 512MB chip from WeLoveMacs.com : http://www.welovemacs.com/apple-memo...ax-pc100-.html.
    I'm pretty sure the older iBooks will not recognize more than a 256 MB chip in the expansion slot. Depending on the factory on-board configuration, the total max would be either 288 or 320 MB (320 in this case).
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

    Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

  6. #6
    Bluecrabby
    Guest
    Replacing the memory in my iBook was really easy. I just popped the keyboard out. Removed the Airport Card, then used a eyeglass screwdriver to remove the metal "RAM sheild". The memort went right in and the only problem was that the screws were VERY tight, and I kinda twisted the screwdriver trying to remove them.

  7. #7
    iBooks Performance Question

    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Your Mac's Specs
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    I'm pretty sure the older iBooks will not recognize more than a 256 MB chip in the expansion slot. Depending on the factory on-board configuration, the total max would be either 288 or 320 MB (320 in this case).
    i took a look on my mactracker program and it says for the 300mhz iBook

    Motherboard RAM : 32 or 64 MB
    Maximum RAM : 544 or 576 (Actual) 288 or 320 MB (Apple)
    Number of Sockets : 1 - PC66 3.3V 144-pin - SO-DIMM
    Minimum RAM Speed : 10 ns

    I am not sure how to interpret the Actual and Apple maximum ram's on it
    It says that this computer would work with the latest version of OS X

  8. #8
    lzasitko
    Guest
    300 g3 max ram
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    i took a look on my mactracker program and it says for the 300mhz iBook

    Motherboard RAM : 32 or 64 MB
    Maximum RAM : 544 or 576 (Actual) 288 or 320 MB (Apple)
    Number of Sockets : 1 - PC66 3.3V 144-pin - SO-DIMM
    Minimum RAM Speed : 10 ns

    I am not sure how to interpret the Actual and Apple maximum ram's on it
    It says that this computer would work with the latest version of OS X
    I just bought a 366 gs clamshell and installed a 512 meg card (done at a local Mac dealer, actually they installed) from a new iBook and it worked fine right off, I have been running it for around a month now and no problems at all. Mine came with a 128 meg card in it and had OSX and 9.2 installed and again it did run with the 128 card but slower than with the 512 card.

    Apple is always conservative in ratings and at the time of the clamshell 512's were likely very difficult to find.

    Larry Zasitko

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple reveals iBooks 2, iBooks Author at NYC education event
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM
  2. Ibooks question
    By firesidedog in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 03:02 AM
  3. Performance Question
    By aggie97 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
  4. question about ibooks 500mhz and such....
    By tgg in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 12:59 AM
  5. Performance question.
    By iphix in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •