Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Please convince me to stay!
    Hi.

My 3 year old MacBook Black has been my pride and joy computer since the day I got it. However, recently a fault on the LCD has shown that this laptop should be getting replaced soon. However, looking at the price of the new Mac's and then looking at the Windows 7, Core i3 laptops - I am not so sure anymore.

I want a 13" laptop, and my tasks can be done on a PC or a Mac. But I am paying more for a Mac just for the sake of it?

I am looking at the MacBook, this doesn't have the Core i3 and only 2GB ram and limited upgradeable capacity. I saw a Samsung 13", Core i3, 3GB (max 8gb) for half the price of a MacBook Pro, and 2/3 the price of the MacBook. The build quality was also on par with my current MacBook.

I love Mac OS X, but I am struggling to buy a new one when I am on a budget and the specs aren't up there with a PC. When I bought this MacBook, the specs were on par with something that was of a similar or only just slightly cheaper PC.

Also, is Windows 7 really the Windows that everyone has been waiting for? I was told it is nearly on par with Mac OS X - is this true?

I am prepared to wait if Apple are going to launch a new MacBook soon, and maybe if the price will be lower too?

Thank you!

P.S
    I am not looking for an argument, I would be grateful for advice. Thank you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    If it suits your needs and your preference for OS X does not justify the price premium, you have your answer. Windows 7 is a great OS and there's lots of good Windows notebooks on the market. It all comes down to personal preference.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMexMac View Post
    I am prepared to wait if Apple are going to launch a new MacBook soon, and maybe if the price will be lower too?
    Probably not. The specs may improve...but the price most likely won't be much if any lower.

There's always the "used computer" route. Last Fall I purchased two used MacBooks:

- a 13" white 2.16ghz model with 2 gig ram for $350
    - a 13" white 2.40ghz model with 2 gig ram for $400

Both ran & operated perfectly...sold the 2.0, kept the 2.4. Still working great!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I personally feel I will get what I pay for, and in the past I have had some unreliable and poor quality machines (PC) however is a MacBook made better than a PC laptop? Apart from the screen... this MacBook still works!

Also, not being very Windows... I remember with XP and Vista that for no reason - perhaps 9 months later, the computer would be slow slow slow? Does that still happen with Windows 7, as so far my Mac runs well and hasn't really had any problems.

And finally, I am moving to South America and of course if something goes wrong - is there repair centers and Apple support?

Thank you. The more I think - I feel I may buy the PC; like it for 6 months and then find it's no where near as good as the Mac! I can't decide!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    You gotta do what you gotta do...time to make a decision!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Also, not being very Windows... I remember with XP and Vista that for no reason - perhaps 9 months later, the computer would be slow slow slow? Does that still happen with Windows 7, as so far my Mac runs well and hasn't really had any problems.
    the slowing still happens i had a windows 7 for a year and a half before i bought my macbook pro (waste of money) and there is a certain difference

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
    I personally feel I will get what I pay for, and in the past I have had some unreliable and poor quality machines (PC) however is a MacBook made better than a PC laptop? Apart from the screen... this MacBook still works!
    That's a pretty subjective call.

My Win7 system at work runs fine. I'd imagine it has to do with what applications you run as well as the capabilities of the hardware.

And finally, I am moving to South America and of course if something goes wrong - is there repair centers and Apple support?
    Apple lists various support numbers on their web site. Were it me, a call to confirm international support would be in order. I'd imagine that they have service in most countries, though I'd still check.

Thank you. The more I think - I feel I may buy the PC; like it for 6 months and then find it's no where near as good as the Mac! I can't decide!!!
    Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

chas_m
    I have yet to meet anyone -- ever -- in all my years of being a computer tech (that's more than 25 years now) who chose a computer primarily using price as their yardstick and was happy with what they got.

VALUE, not price, is what makes for a wise purchase. In some situations, PCs offer more value. Most of the time, however, Mac wins when you factor value into the equation.

Thank you for all of your replies. I have made my decision - and I am with a little regret, returning to Microsoft Windows.

The price of a new MacBook for me, is too much. I wish the specs would be up their with the equivilent PC offerings but they aren't. And finally, the selling price is just too much.

I know OS X is vastly superior in many areas, but for what I will be using the computer for - Windows will do it. Albeit, probably with some viruses and maybe a blue screen! Haha!

I hope to have my new computer by April, thank you once again!

LM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you for all of your replies. I have made my decision - and I am with a little regret, returning to Microsoft Windows.

The price of a new MacBook for me, is too much.
    It always surprises me why folks don't give buying a used Macintosh more consideration. Makes purchasing a Macintosh for those on a "tighter" budget (or for those just trying to save money)...much more doable.

Oh well...enjoy your new Windows computer when you get it!

- Nick

I did look into it, however - buying used versus a new for the same price doesn't appeal to me. Plus the specs aren't up there either.

I hope eventually to buy another Mac in the future, but this time round - it's Windows.

One thing I wouldn't change is my iPhone!

Your Mac's Specs
    I did look into it, however - buying used versus a new for the same price doesn't appeal to me. Plus the specs aren't up there either.

I hope eventually to buy another Mac in the future, but this time round - it's Windows.

One thing I wouldn't change is my iPhone!
    Honestly...I think when you started this thread you were already 90% (or at least well above 50%) in favor of purchasing a Windows computer to replace your Mac laptop. So we really had very little chance of convincing you to stay "Mac".

Your initial position was that a new Mac would cost too much compared to a new Windows computer (which is the oldest & most boring rational "in the book")...since folks have been using this as an excuse almost since Day #1 of Macintosh history! Since you were or still currently are a Macintosh user...you know that there's much more to a "Mac vs. PC" then just the price of the hardware!

When a more affordable option was presented (buying a used Mac that was newer & better than your old Mac)...you rejected that idea saying that the new Windows computer was better from a spec. perspective.

I can totally follow your logic...and if this is the decision you need to make no problem. But...if you did REALLY wanted to remain with Macintosh computers & OS X...there was a viable & affordable option.

On a "Dollar to Dollar" basis...Windows computers have always been a better deal..it been that way for over 25 years. What makes Apple/Macintosh/OS X special are things other than hardware.

No hard feelings...I just think that you had pretty much made up your mind before this thread was started.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    My recommendation is to look at total cost of switching. Is there software that will have to be repurchased to work with a Windows system? What will anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, and other security software cost? How much time will be spent over the course of a year troubleshooting a Windows system versus a Mac? That's a big one to me - if I estimate 10 hours a year troubleshooting a Windows computer and I multiply that by my hourly wage, that offsets the difference in cost between a PC and a Mac.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Why convince you of anything?

You have made up your mind so enjoy!
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
    I bought a new compaq with windows 7 for my laptop after i found out what a battery would cost for my 11 year old tibook, kept it for all of 10 days and went and traded it for a g4 ibook 1.2/512 windows 7 is better than xp or vista but does NOT compare with os x. before you buy another pile of windows crap look into a nice used apple you will be much happier and save the trouble of wanting to get rid of it in a few days.... i for one will never go back to windows period.

Thread Information