Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Question how much for a non-Apple laptop with same spec as MacBook Pro 15" models?
    Hi,

Has anyone looked into how it actually would be for a non-Apple laptop (e.g. Dell say) with same spec as MacBook Pro 15" models? Say the low end i5 2.4GHz and then the upper end model the i7 2.66GHz.

thanks

how much for a non-Apple laptop with same spec as MacBook Pro 15" models?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" Mid-2015.
    I was doing this yesterday just to see if Apple was still overpriced. There is no way I would select a laptop other than the Macbook, MacbookPro series.

I did this on Dell's website for a 15" i7 core unit. The costs were very close.

Your Mac's Specs
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Besides not having OSX it will not be as thin with an all aluminum unibody design which
    in it's self is very expensive.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by callagga View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone looked into how it actually would be for a non-Apple laptop (e.g. Dell say) with same spec as MacBook Pro 15" models? Say the low end i5 2.4GHz and then the upper end model the i7 2.66GHz. thanks
    Tom's Hardware site did a comparison some time back between Macs and PCs for cost. His conclusions were - when you buy a PC that has the same or close capabilities of a Mac, the price is nearly the same.

My own experience in pricing top of the line notebook PCs with for example - a MBP or even a MacBook, is the same as Tom's Hardware. As a matter of fact, in some instances, the PC was more costly.

You also should factor this in: Apple has the best overall customer service and technical service - repair of any of the other manufacturers.

Regards.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Plus macs usually last much longer than your average PC.

The general guideline is: PC - 3 years
    Mac - 5 years

l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Your Mac's Specs
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    You can get cheaper PC laptops which have closer specs - but when it comes to laptops build quality makes a difference. Many people have told me it doesn't matter, I'll just move it around the house rarely - but that is almost never the case. A few of my friends have dropped their laptops just around the house. So that being said I would never buy a consumer grade PC laptop because they are basically made of marshmallows. Every single consumer grade laptop that I have dealt with has been lucky to make it 3 years. One can claim - well I could buy 2 or 3 laptops with the money I spend on a Mac. If you've ever lost data or lost a computer you'd know the pain it takes to bring a new laptop back.

So that long tirad comes to this point - if you compare PCs with similar build quality to the Macs then you are looking at business class PCs - Dell latitudes instead of Inspirons, Lenovo Thinkpads instead of Ideapads, etc. Once you do that then everything pretty much shakes out - especially when you try to match exact hardware.

That being said - you get more flexibility with PCs on your choices. Also many manufacturers have accidental spill and damage warranties which are about the same price as applecare - which is something to think about as applecare doesn't really cover accidental damage - which is bad news for laptops as they are prone to accidents.

Thread Information