Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Corrupted Preferences Files... But which one of them is corrupted?!
    I have a 3-year-old MacBook. I run OS X 10.4.11. Yes, I know it's old. I am currently studying abroad in Hungary and I have only one month left until I go home.

My MacBook was running well until a few days ago when I was on my browser (Flock), downloading a movie from stagevu.com via Firefox, and editing some photos on iPhoto. Most likely, I had iTunes running, because that's how I roll. Oh, and I had Skype up too because I was expecting to speak with a friend online.

The hard drive started running really fast, like it does when it's about to freeze or require some force quits... and it makes sense because I was doing a lot of things at once. But the slowness this time was exceptional. I had to shut it down twice and when that didn't really work, I threw the movie I was downloading into the trash and my browser and Skype since those applications seemed to freeze the computer. I then repaired my disk permissions and have been using Firefox since. The computer is at least useable now.

When I restarted, I noticed that my dock position and the items in my dock had changed and my background had gone back to the default. I was also unable to download items (the disk images failed to mount). I created an alternative account that works fine for downloading and was able to put Skype on my computer again. I also downloaded Preferential Treatment to try to find the funky preference files but the scan came back clean.

Now, every time I log off or shut down, all of my preferences are wiped from my administrative account. I still cannot download applications, but documents are just fine. This means that I have to set up accounts iTunes, Skype, and Entourage every time I log in. None of my Firefox settings or dock settings are remembered. My iTunes library always becomes corrupted when I open up iTunes anew and I have to re-add all my songs again. It seems that all of the files I've created still exist... it's just that none of my preferences stick...

What do I do? This is ridiculously annoying!

Thanks for your help!

so..
    So, I'm guessing that with 32 views and 0 responses, I'm pretty muck out of luck, eh?

Neato.

Corrupted Preferences Files... But which one of them is corrupted?!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    It sounds like your hard drive is about to die. Old + running really fast + not remembering settings = bad. Back you your stuff on an external right away

l
    Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Thread Information