How much faster is an SSD?
    Your Mac's Specs
    21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
    Getting geared up (money) to get a new 15" Macbook Pro.
    I have a 13" Alum Macbook with a standard disc and have been very happy with it.

My question is : how much faster is an SSD? I've never had one and would need the 512gb, but it is quite a chunk of change, but I can't have anything less than 500gb. If it is REAAAALY faster, I'll shell out the bucks. I travel to remote and underdeveloped areas quite a bit and am contemplating the advantage of no moving parts.

Opinions?
    Switchers are the most religious of Mac fans.

Your Mac's Specs
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Your Mac's Specs
    21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
    Thanks
    Very helpful article.
    Switchers are the most religious of Mac fans.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    This should be required reading for anyone considering an SSD at the moment:

The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Additionally, since OS X does not currently support the "TRIM" command, you may notice dramatic reduction in performance over time.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    This should be required reading for anyone considering an SSD at the moment:

The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Additionally, since OS X does not currently support the "TRIM" command, you may notice dramatic reduction in performance over time.
    I read the entire article. A really long and interesting read. And for me these ponits stood out:

1. Even with Trim a SSD will have it's performance degrade over time. It's worst case scenario though can be better then HDD's. But for the price at the moment this fact makes SSD's less attractive. Trim more widely used + cheaper SSD's would help a lot.

2. Without trim you write to blocks and don't delete blocks you delete till you need them. As in deletion takes place jsut before the write and not after the delete. So 50GB free is not 50GB free. It's jsut 50GB available to write new information to use. Some will be free and the rest will be deleted before the write.

This is pretty fact on a SSD. But to me it screams security issue. People could hack the drive and access the drive's deleted data as it's only "flagged free to use" and not actually deleted till it's over written. And there is no over writing in SSD's. It's deletion then write.

So stuff flagged free for deletition and write - could be accessed and the data accessed off those sectors. I'm not sure if that is a big issue or not but that's what came into my mind as I read the article.

3. SSD's only have a limited number of block delete/write cycles before that particular block dies. 10 thousand from what I remember from the article. Could be wrong. And it's hard to predict when the blocks will die.

4. So in my opinion the SSD's are better then HDD's. Even when SSD's are full and in their "worst performance state". But they are to pricy for me. For a internal HD with thr OS and base apps on it it might be good. But for general use/scratch disk, the price per GB for SSD is way to high.

So for me I'm in the camp of waiting till SSD technoloty improves and comes down in price then I might buy but now HDD's are not perfect but they work and are cheap as chips per GB. And I'll stick with them for now.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    So for me I'm in the camp of waiting till SSD technoloty improves and comes down in price then I might buy but now HDD's are not perfect but they work and are cheap as chips per GB. And I'll stick with them for now.
    Excellent post all the way around (virtual rep to you as it seems I need to spread it around), but you really hit the nail on the head here.

SSDs are still in their infancy in terms of desktop/laptop applications. On a desktop, I think they make more sense when paired with a traditional HDD for mass storage. I can see buying a smallish SSD for your OS and select applications, while keeping the HDD in reserve for lesser used apps and mass data storage. In a laptop, I think it makes less sense given the pricepoints. Every 18 months or so, the cost is reduced by about a third, based on the trends I'm seeing.

So, around the time that my current machine becomes vastly superseded by all the newer tech on the horizon, I'll consider a new machine and probably pick up an aftermarket SSD to go with it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information