Solomon210
    Mac's....faster than you may think..

untoastytoast
    thank you thank you thank you, that is a great video

Your Mac's Specs
    G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
    Yeah, and the G5 is the worlds fastest desktop computer.
    I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
    http://johnny.persistentperil.net

JSchultz
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyluu
    Yeah, and the G5 is the worlds fastest desktop computer.
    man, after watching that vid, my g3 looks like an ancient fossil.
    sometimes i really wonder what a g4 would be like and how i could benefit. i bet my 700mhz g3 is light years behind a 1.2 ghz g4!!

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    The new Power Mac G4 with PowerPC G4 processors demonstrates its speed against the 1.7GHz Pentium 4. Quite simply the fastest personal computer ever built to run graphics applications, this Power Mac G4 rips through tasks like Gaussian blurs, lighting effects, rotations and color conversions. In tests involving 9 Photoshop actions, the new 733MHz system is 33% faster, the 867MHz system is 58% faster and the dual 800MHz Power Mac G4 creams the 1.7GHz Pentium 4 by a blistering 83%.**

**Based on a suite of performance tests using Adobe Photoshop 6.0
    Yes its true that MHz do not always matter, but if you really buy into the MHz myth (as Apple would have you believe it) then you are still not getting the whole story. Naturally, that demo is a little biased towards Apple. It is no great secret that Macs are better machines when it comes to Graphic work and AV applications. Why else would a large number of photographers and film/TV studios use Macs? But the results from the tests used in this demonstration are based on only one application. If there were tests done with other applications, the Intel would beat the G4. In fact, depending on which application was used, the results would be pretty even on both sides. The G4 would win some and the Intel would win some.
    The simple fact is that they are two very different machines and each has its own pros and cons. You can't really compare the two and say that one is definitely better than the other, it is really a matter of what do you want your computer to do and which do you personally prefer.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    Yes its true that MHz do not always matter, but if you really buy into the MHz myth (as Apple would have you believe it) then you are still not getting the whole story. Naturally, that demo is a little biased towards Apple. It is no great secret that Macs are better machines when it comes to Graphic work and AV applications. Why else would a large number of photographers and film/TV studios use Macs? But the results from the tests used in this demonstration are based on only one application. If there were tests done with other applications, the Intel would beat the G4. In fact, depending on which application was used, the results would be pretty even on both sides. The G4 would win some and the Intel would win some.
    The simple fact is that they are two very different machines and each has its own pros and cons. You can't really compare the two and say that one is definitely better than the other, it is really a matter of what do you want your computer to do and which do you personally prefer.
    Agreed to a point but one thing I might add, the older P4's like the one in the test were not fast. Toms hardware did a test at one point and the Tualatin P3 was keeping up with even 1.8 P4. It was not till the P4 hit 533 Bus then later 800 that is started to smoke. The IPC (Instructions Per Clock) on the early P4's were very bad. The basics of that movie are very true. I would not doubt it in most tests. That is the same reason that tests against low clocked AMD CPUs Vs the early P4 showed the AMD to be better in every benchmark. It was after they went to 800Mhz Bus and HT that the P4 started to pull away from AMD till AMD came out with the AMD 64.

That P4 that is being compaired to the G4 is not a very fast P4. I just used one tonight and it felt so Slugish. My Mini feels so much faster in every way than that Top P4 1.7 my Close friend's wife uses.

Your Mac's Specs
    G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchultz
    man, after watching that vid, my g3 looks like an ancient fossil.
    sometimes i really wonder what a g4 would be like and how i could benefit. i bet my 700mhz g3 is light years behind a 1.2 ghz g4!!
    Er, your G3 IS an ancient fossil, there have been two generations of processor since, in computer terms, thant's a lot!

With my tongue in cheek comment about the G5 being the fastest desk top computer in the world I was just pointing out the fact that all of these test don't really mean anything. They are taylored by the companies performing them to prove that their stuff is better. If you went to wintel site doing the same test, they'd prove the opposite.
    I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
    http://johnny.persistentperil.net

Your Mac's Specs
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    i still dont see why there is a big fasination of comparing a Gx to a Px chip IMO i think that the intel chips are crap anyway.

They are expensive and AMD's last just as long and come in cheaper

untoastytoast
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    Most definately agreed

Solomon210
    re:
    IMO the PPC processors are better,then run more efficent and concentrate on a task at a time,where an Intel or AMD trys to juggle a whole bunch of tasks and gets overloaded. Apple is better in my eyes and PC's are just more widely available and popular. The dual G5 PowerMac is a true BEAST!

Solomon210
    re:
    My dad's 650 MHz old PC is slower than my old g3 iBook(366MHz) in almost everything,the Mac PPC processors are just very well built.

Thread Information