dgheba
    transferrin' files from a PC
    I just got this powerbook, good stuff, but I def would like to transfer my files on my PC to my powerbook, music, documents etc.....

theres a lot of them

so i was thinking i could hook the two up via a USB 2.0 or firewire cable, is that possible with a PC to Powerbook????

i just need to know before i go out and buy one of those cables to do the transfer....

or is there a better way? like making a small network between the two?

THANKS!

Jefe3223
    firewire should work. I ran a connection between my ibook and a friends laptop (it was to play a video game, but it's the same king of thing). I'm not sure about usb, I think that would work too, but I'd get confermation on that one.
    You could network them and open file sharing between the two. It might be cheaper if you already have an airport device, but I (personaly) think the firewire is cheaper. My 2.

ocie
    you could just buy a crossover cable and connect directly through the ethernet ports.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ocie
    you could just buy a crossover cable and connect directly through the ethernet ports.
    Agreed.

Or for the truly networked (read: Geeky) ... Make one.
    568A on one end, 568B on the other.

568A
    1. W/G
    2. G
    3. W/O
    4. BL
    5. W/BL
    6. O
    7. BR
    8. W/BR

568B
    Same as above, except
    Swap 1 & 3
    Swap 2 & 6

Your Mac's Specs
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    The PowerBook has an auto-sensing Ethernet port (the iBook doesn't), so no need for a crossover-cable.

Your Mac's Specs
    PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
    auto-sensing Ethernet port?? please explain

i know nothing.

Your Mac's Specs
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Gates
    auto-sensing Ethernet port?? please explain
    It will recognise if you connect 2 computer with a straight cable, and electrically switch it's contacts, so it appears like the cable is a crossover cable.

To put it simple: you can use whatever Ethernet cable you have (straight or crossed) to connect 2 computer together, it will always work... :cool:

d-funct
    Quote Originally Posted by IanCT
    Agreed.

Or for the truly networked (read: Geeky) ... Make one.
    568A on one end, 568B on the other.

568A
    1. W/G
    2. G
    3. W/O
    4. BL
    5. W/BL
    6. O
    7. BR
    8. W/BR

568B
    Same as above, except
    Swap 1 & 3
    Swap 2 & 6
    Making a crossover cable is a bit of an exteme in this case surely .. I mean he would have to go buy the Cat5 then a set of RJ-45 plugs and also a crimping tool ...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by d-funct
    Making a crossover cable is a bit of an exteme in this case surely .. I mean he would have to go buy the Cat5 then a set of RJ-45 plugs and also a crimping tool ...
    You're right...and for the price of the crimping tool you can buy quite a long crossover cable that's already finished... :cool:

roadracr
    Sure, the geeky method is not the simplest in this case. But, that's not the goal of the true geek (I'm sometimes in this category). To a passionate geek, a project is especially worthwhile if it allows (requires) you to purchase new tools and gives you a unique, or at least obscure, result.

This can be contrasted with the conspicuous consumption model in which justification is based on the extravagance of peripheral purchases involved to complete the task. In this example, you might purchase an external hard drive, a USB cable for transferring files from the Windows PC, AND a firewire cable for loading said files onto the Mac. I must admit that I sometimes fall into this category as well... ; )

Eleven
    Well hook both your PC and Mac to the same router, create a new folder on the "donating" computer, then move everything worthy over there.

Download AIM for windows on the windows PC
    Download AIM for MAc on the OS... PC

Then send your files to the new computer through AIM.

Thread Information