Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And another very slow Mac Mini
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    My Mini (2014) takes for ever to boot up, at least 20 minutes before I can use it. It’s just an admin machine, no games, videos etc.
    When it’s up to speed it’s fine all day long, I’ve even started leaving in ‘sleep mode’ night and this means it’s running ok the next day.
    Suggest downloading the free EtreCheck app from the Mac App store, run it and then copy and paste the readout here for us to look over.

EtreCheck on the Mac App Store

Suggest downloading the free EtreCheck app from the Mac App store,

I don't know if Apple has crippled EtreCheck.app as it seems to do with so many utilities available from the app store, and for that reason I prefer to download from the developer themselves.

In this case for EtreCheck:
    EtreCheck

I don't know if Apple has in this case, but just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't know if Apple has crippled EtreCheck.app as it seems to do with so many utilities available from the app store, and for that reason I prefer to download from the developer themselves.
    Nope. Same, same.

As a matter of fact, the developer himself (a Canadian citizen by the way) even has recommended downloading from the Mac App Store.

As a matter of fact, the developer himself (a Canadian citizen by the way) even has recommended downloading from the Mac App Store.

Hmmm... I was over at his site and came across this, but I got a rather opposite impression:
    EtreCheckPro 6.0 has two important new features that are not available in the Mac App Store: the storage display and the analytics display. These are interactive displays that help you better manage your storage and review several days of detailed analytics information about your hardware, system, and running software.

Find out how your storage is being used Dive deep into analytics
    The Mac App Store has technical limitations that prevent these features from working in EtreCheck downloaded from the Mac App Store. Therefore, these features are only available in EtreCheckPro.
    EtreCheck: Upgrade to EtreCheckPro

To each their own I guess... But one does have to pay for the Pro version which may also be overkill for a lot of users.

There are more details at his site about the differences for those who are interested in checking.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick.... as usual you are off the beaten path. The important thing is that the OP show us what's going on with his Mini. EtreCheck is the right tool. And he doggone does not need the Pro version.

... The important thing is that the OP show us what's going on with his Mini. EtreCheck is the right tool. And he doggone does not need the Pro version.

I would agree, but I daresay there are others reading the thread that may not understand or know what Apple's app store does to some applications when a recommendation is made from this site to download some useful application from there.

I call it useful information for those who might benefit from the knowledge.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I'd say it's a combination of Catalina; HDD; and low RAM. Catalina just really needs an SSD to shine. But if you stick with an HDD, long boot times are unavoidable ESPECIALLY with only 4 GB RAM. That's the minimum amount of RAM that Catalina requires, which means you can expect the HDD is being hit quite a bit for caching/swap file while booting especially. You'd still have that going on with an SSD, but it'd be far less obvious.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information