What is the best MacBook Pro to sell when the 14 inch 2020 MacBook Pro comes out?

What is the best MacBook Pro to sell when the 14 inch 2020 MacBook Pro comes out?
    Hello! To cut a long story short Iím going to get some funding to buy a MacBook Pro, and need to buy it as soon as I get the money, which will be next week. However, I want to buy the 2020 MacBook Pro when it comes out this year. So my question isÖ whatís the best MacBook Pro to buy now for around the £1,000 mark to then sell later in the year when the 2020 MacBook comes out? Which will lose its price least?

If you're looking to resell soon, i wouldnt go for a newer MBP... Pick up a mid-2012 with 16GB ram and a SSD (last easily upgradable model) for around $500-600.... It will be an easier sell in my opinion. I actually sold my 2018 base model 13" MBP to buy a mid-2012 in place of it. mid2012 i7/16gb/SSD and this thing actually runs better than my 2017 i5/8gb/ssd

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by LGster View Post
    So my question is… what’s the best MacBook Pro to buy now for around the £1,000 mark to then sell later in the year when the 2020 MacBook comes out? Which will lose its price least?
    If your "true goal" is to purchase a brand new computer (that you want to keep) within the next 9-12 months...my advice is purchase something used now...then resell it later.

Depreciation on an older model is certainly going to be less than a depreciation on something brand new. Just like buying a brand new car (which almost instantly loses about 10-15% value when you drive it off the lot)...same thing happens with a brand new computer.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you. I don’t want to purchase anything too old now, as I still want something decent as I do a fair bit of graphic design/video editing. I see people currently recommend the mid 2015 dual graphic 15 inch as a good value buy currently. Do you think a refurb of that model would be a good investment?

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you. I don’t want to purchase anything too old now, as I still want something decent as I do a fair bit of graphic design/video editing. I see people currently recommend the mid 2015 dual graphic 15 inch as a good value buy currently. Do you think a refurb of that model would be a good investment?
    The smartest thing to do is purchase what you need now. The strategy of buying something now...use it for a year...sell it...and purchase a 14" 2020 MacBook Pro...has all sorts of pitfalls. #1 being...what if Apple never releases a 14" MacBook Pro...or at least not in the time frame you're hoping for (gets delayed).

There's always something new "just around the corner"...that a computer user might want. Been this way since the early late 1970's/early 1980's when personal computing took off.

Also...what's so fantastic about a 14" MacBook Pro? Currently Apple offers a 13", 15", and 16" MacBook Pro's...what makes a 14" MacBook Pro the "thing to have"?

Trust me...if you need something now...buy it now. Use it for 2-3 years...sell it...then buy what fits your needs then. When it comes to computing...there are no guarantees what we might see 9-12 months.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    A few computers, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 1&5, iPad Pro 11"
    I wouldn't touch a 2012 retina with a 10 foot pole, unless it was maybe the last version of the unibody 15", but even then, the price is not worth it imo unless you are collecting them like me.

Your question seems to imply you need a MBP for some reason, and don't care to keep it, but yet want one that will cost the least amount during the time you own it. Buying something too new can cause you to lose money once something newer comes out. Buying something older will cut down on loss. IMO, Late 2013 to 2015 MBPs are really good!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 12x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Threads merged - Do not create a new thread about the same topic.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

I'm sort of asking two questions here:
    1. What would you buy now which would suit my requirements and would last?
    2. What would do me for the moment and hold its price until the new MacBook Pro/iMac comes out?

I work in audio, graphic design and do a bit of video, so need something with some decent power but that's around the £1,000 mark.
    I'm considering all options: MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini... just feel confused by all the options so thought I'd get your views on it!

Thank you all!

Your Mac's Specs
    2. What would do me for the moment and hold its price until the new MacBook Pro/iMac comes out?
    Nothing. Computers depreciate quickly...and will depreciate even more quickly when newer models are released. If you're waiting for a 14" MacBook Pro to be released...more than likely a bunch of new models will be released (in addition to the 14" MBP)...thus pretty much everything available now will be worth less.

I totally understand the tight-rope you're trying to walk...just doesn't work that well with items that depreciate quickly like computers (especially newer models).

You're best bet is:

1. Purchase something that's more than 3 years old (since the bulk of the depreciation has already occured)...yet still has useful life left in it. Sell it...then purchase the 14" MacBook Pro when released.
    2. Purchase something brand new now...and keep it for a few years.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Update for the OP. New 13" MacBook Pro just announced today...very unlikely a 14" MacBook Pro will be released anytime soon (or ever).

As mentioned earlier in the thread...if you need something now...you should buy it now...many rumors never come true. The interim idea of purchasing something that won't lose value until a 14" MacBook Pro is released...would have ended up costing you more in the long run.

Not sure if you've purchased anything yet. My advice is purchase something new that's available now...purchased something refurbished from the Apple refurbished area...or purchase something used that meets your needs & you can keep using for at least 2-3 years.

Good luck,

- Nick

Thread Information