Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Used Mac Pro Purchase
    I've been "toying" with the idea of purchasing a used 2010-2012 Mac Pro desktop computer...since the performance of these guys is still pretty impressive in a 2020 world.

Of course one important consideration when purchasing an older used computer is OS compatibility. One very interesting detail I came across...2010-2012 Mac Pro's are capable of running any macOS version from macOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to macOS 10.14 (Mojave).

That's pretty darn impressive for ANY Apple computer...to be able to run 9 different macOS versions. In theory...you could partition a hard drive into 9 different partitions...and have the ability to boot/run 9 different macOS versions on a single computer! YIKES!

- Nick

p.s. Technically...a 2010-2012 Mac Pro can run any macOS from 10.6 to 10.13 (out of the box)...to run macOS 10.14 (Mojave)...you need a "Metal-capable GPU".
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    That s pretty impressive. Almost makes me want to go out and buy one right now. Doing so would however require that I break out of lockdown and flee. SWMBO already thinks were have too many Macs around. Currently the museum includes:

Someone gave me a G3 era Powerbook recently. Haven't decided what to do with it yet.
    Picked up a 2012 MacBook Air in near mint condition with spare external drive for $400.00. I've passed it on to someone. If they don't want it I'll use it when my '08 MacBook Pro gives up the ghost.
    2008 MacBook Pro with a battery cover that doesn't lock down properly anymore. Can't get any battery to hold a charge for nearly as long as it should. (Backup)
    2015 iMac (Primary machine)

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    That s pretty impressive.
    Yes it is!

Almost makes me want to go out and buy one right now. Doing so would however require that I break out of lockdown and flee.
    Ebay man!!! Lol

SWMBO already thinks were have too many Macs around.
    Ok...99% of us dudes are in this boat (1% of us can get away with doing this without getting in trouble). That means 99% of us are getting in trouble for doing it...suck it up & do it...and join the fraternity!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes it is!

Ok...99% of us dudes are in this boat (1% of us can get away with doing this without getting in trouble). That means 99% of us are getting in trouble for doing it...suck it up & do it...and join the fraternity!

- Nick
    In that case I might need to borrow a spare room.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Also, don't forget that with all Mac OS X/OS X/macOS versions after 10.6 Snow Leopard (Lion is 10.7) and above create a Recovery partition as well.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Also, don't forget that with all Mac OS X/OS X/macOS versions after 10.6 Snow Leopard (Lion is 10.7) and above create a Recovery partition as well.

And it seems like Apple has eliminated the use of the Debug menu that would allow a user to see all the partitions that were available in Mavericks and I'm not sure what other later OS versions may have allowed it:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.08.34 PM.png

- Patrick
    ======

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    I, of the non-dude status, have a well trained husband who lets me have what I want..and in return I only restrict his buying power 10% of the time!

Anyway, I have my MP 2009/2010 dual booting to Mojave and Catalina. I used two different SSD’s just to make sure if I screwed up I had a safety net. Mojave runs great and is my main OS. Catalina is okay but occasionally Adobe can get interesting. It is also a pain to update as it requires a bit of creativity to get it and it’s updates installed.

I did notice the price of Mac Pro’s on eBay have dropped - like a lot! I was tempted to pick up another one but decided I need to start saving in my slush fund for something else to eventually replace my MP when she moves on to the great recycle cloud.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    ...I have my MP 2009/2010 dual booting to Mojave and Catalina. I used two different SSD’s just to make sure if I screwed up I had a safety net. Mojave runs great and is my main OS.
    What video card are you using Lisa to run Mojave...since a "Metal-capable GPU" is supposed to be required to run Mojave?

Thanks,

- Nick

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    Nick -

I am using a Nvidia GTX780. I was running a GTX 1080 in it but Apple quit letting Nvidia create drivers for it. I had to go back to the 780 as Apple supplies native drivers for it. It has been flashed by MacVidCards so I have a startup screen.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    I had to go back to the 780 as Apple supplies native drivers for it

I didn't think that card was even compatible or did the flashing makes it so???

I thought it was another caseof the consumer user getting screwed by the fighting factions once again.
    Video: Nvidia support was abandoned in macOS Mojave, and here's why
    Video: Nvidia support was abandoned in macOS Mojave, and here's why

It sounds like you've got around the complicated confusing Apple Mac GPU Compatibility world with your Mac Pro, Congratulations!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    The GTX780 card works fine. I have two of them. One is flashed and the other is not. The first GTX780 was a 3GB and was not flashed. I originally had it in the Mac Pro. I later picked up the GTX780 6GB that has been flashed and it is the one now in my 2010 Mac Pro. I run the current version of Adobe CC apps on it with no issues. The unflashed GTX780 is now working in a Windows PC that I repurposed as a server since it has a server board in it.

The fight with Nvidia and Apple started with all cards after the GTX780 which is why I took out a flashed GTX 1080 and put it in a PC I built. The GTX 780 card works fine with Catalina - the GTX1080 did NOT - but, as I said, it is a major pain to keep the OS updated and I like Mojave better.

Lisa

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    but, as I said, it is a major pain to keep the OS updated and I like Mojave better.

Thanks for the info.

I guess if I was in the same situation I would just stick to using Mohave unless there was something you really had to have with Catalina, but I guess if Mojave has any updates, you end up with the same type of upgrade hassles.

As I've said, it's very unfortunate that the consumer user has to bear the brunt and hassles of company grudges.

- Patrick
    ======

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mojave updates just fine on my 2010 Mac Pro so far. Install went perfect and GTX780 drivers work great. Hopefully that continues.

Lisa

Used Mac Pro Purchase
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    I am using a Nvidia GTX780. I was running a GTX 1080 in it but Apple quit letting Nvidia create drivers for it. I had to go back to the 780 as Apple supplies native drivers for it. It has been flashed by MacVidCards so I have a startup screen.
    Thanks much for the info Lisa.

I seem to remember you sharing your Mac Pro upgrade stories a while back...but I forgot the details & needed to be reminded. Lol

- Nick

I'm running Catalina on my mid 2012. MBPro.

Thread Information