Early-2006 Intel iMac A1173 doesn't start up
    Hi all Mac users, I have an early-2006 Intel iMac A1173 (EMC 2104, with the Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz processor). Until recently it worked fine, but a couple of weeks ago I started getting the dreaded flashing question mark on startup. I managed to start up from its OSX install disk 1 (via a plug-in optical disk drive) at least as far as initiating the installation process, but the program could not find a hard drive to install to. I acquired a replacement hard drive and put it into the machine, only to find that it would now not start up at all - no chime, black screen, with only the whirring of the fans and the flashing of the power-on light to show there was power to the machine. I tried putting the original HD back in with no success. Clearly a fault in the logic board, I thought, got a replacement via eBay and put it in (with the new HD) - the only change was that the power light now glows steadily. Iíve tried plugging the two hard drives into other macs via a SATA-to-USB cable but neither is recognised, while a HD taken out of a MacBook Pro reads through this cable without problems. Any suggestions? Many thanks if you can come up with something that doesnít involve trashing either the mac or my bank account!

Early-2006 Intel iMac A1173 doesn't start up
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    In some Apple computers (not all)...if the PRAM battery is dead it will not run properly. Unless you know this iMac's PRAM battery is good...I would replace it. They are cheap & easy to find almost anywhere.

Here's what you need:

3V Lithium Coin Battery For Select Mac's & Apple Remotes

A 2nd possible issue with your 2006 iMac is the power supply may have failed completely (given it's age & possible high use hours)...or it is too weak to start up the iMac. The solution here is to replace the power supply.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    In some Apple computers (not all)...if the PRAM battery is dead it will not run properly. Unless you know this iMac's PRAM battery is good...I would replace it. They are cheap & easy to find almost anywhere.

Here's what you need:

3V Lithium Coin Battery For Select Mac's & Apple Remotes

A 2nd possible issue with your 2006 iMac is the power supply may have failed completely (given it's age & possible high use hours)...or it is too weak to start up the iMac. The solution here is to replace the power supply.

HTH,

- Nick
    Many thanks Nick, I'll give those suggestions a go!

Thread Information