iMac 2011 - Keeps Rebooting

Red face iMac 2011 - Keeps Rebooting
    Hi Guys,

My iMac 2011 keeps rebooting over and over again. Upon searching on the internet, there are several possible causes for this issue to happen: such as -
    1. Power Supply problem
    2. Graphics card problem
    3. No Ground in the wall power socket

Is there a way to narrow down this issue ? On one occasion, it did boot completely then it worked for a while and suddenly started restarting in the middle of the work. I saw a mouse cursor turn green briefly before it started restarting.

For Graphics card issue, I don't see any visible sign of graphics card issue such as large vertical lines or anything big pertaining to Graphics issue.
    Also, there is no ground for any of my wall socket in my apartment with exception of two in the Kitchen.

I am still debating whether or not to take it apart and try to fix something that is not really a problem.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

3. No Ground in the wall power socket

Don't know what the actual problem is, but the number 3 reason provided makes no sense at all.

Did you just try installing any software update???

- Patrick
    ======

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Don't know what the actual problem is, but the number 3 reason provided makes no sense at all.

Did you just try installing any software update???

- Patrick
    ======
    Hi Patrick

I agree with you.

For clarity only, in the UK, we have 3-pronged plugs and sockets, one of which is what we called "Earth" which in other countries might be called "Ground", I guess.

Ground (electricity) - Wikipedia

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    My iMac 2011 keeps rebooting over and over again. Upon searching on the internet, there are several possible causes for this issue to happen: such as -
    One thing that was not mentioned is bad memory. A bad memory module could cause a machine to reboot. Another reason could be overheating - a fan not working. The machine would overheat quickly, shut down and reboot.

You mentioned if there was a way to narrow it down. Yes, there is. It's called the process of elimination. Start with the things that you can track down the easiest: for example... bad memory. The power supply and graphics card are going to be difficult because that would require replacement.

If you're able... open up the machine and check the fans (there are three in your iMac). Clear out the dust, etc.

The folks at ifixit have good instructions on how to open up your iMac. Fortunately, your iMac is easy to get into compared with the 2012 models and later ones.

iFixit: The Free Repair Manual

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi Patrick

I agree with you.

For clarity only, in the UK, we have 3-pronged plugs and sockets, one of which is what we called "Earth" which in other countries might be called "Ground", I guess.

Ground (electricity) - Wikipedia

Ian
    There are some forums that mentioned about iMac needs Ground / Earth. I know it is very important and useful to have it, unfortunately these apartments are old and don't have it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    One thing that was not mentioned is bad memory. A bad memory module could cause a machine to reboot. Another reason could be overheating - a fan not working. The machine would overheat quickly, shut down and reboot.

You mentioned if there was a way to narrow it down. Yes, there is. It's called the process of elimination. Start with the things that you can track down the easiest: for example... bad memory. The power supply and graphics card are going to be difficult because that would require replacement.

If you're able... open up the machine and check the fans (there are three in your iMac). Clear out the dust, etc.

The folks at ifixit have good instructions on how to open up your iMac. Fortunately, your iMac is easy to get into compared with the 2012 models and later ones.

Yes, I was planning to getting something from iFixIt and do something with it. It can't be bad memory at all, since it has been working for such a long time and perfectly fine.

With regards to upgrade, I didn't upgrade anything - All I did was to install a fresh copy of Mac 10.14 (High sierra) which is last Mac version that can be install on iMac 2011.

A perfectly working iMac has been collecting dust because it was moved from one place to other. I think something inside the inside became loose. I have to open the iMac and peek inside.
    This is also a good option to upgrade the iMac. Should I invest on a dead iMac ? Still debating on that.

It was one of the best iMac ever made because it is highly customizable. I also upgraded it to 32gb ram. Now, it is collecting dust.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Yes I agree the 2011 iMac was a great machine. I had one for several years before I gave it to my granddaughter who is still using it. If you can repair it without spending a lot of dollars it should last for a couple of more years.

Yes I agree the 2011 iMac was a great machine. I had one for several years before I gave it to my granddaughter who is still using it. If you can repair it without spending a lot of dollars it should last for a couple of more years.
    It lasted for a whopping 9 years solid without issues. These big name companies making products that was designed to fail sooner so that consumer can keep buying over and over again. In reality, if there was a replaceable component market for these machines, it can last a very long time probably for decades. Even repair market is virtually be gone soon for all electronic products.

I don't see a difference between HiRes machines like 4k, 5k or XDR etc vs old school iMac 2011 - 2014.

Companies can also force the product to fail precisely after warranty period of 3 years with some grace period. This can be done by manipulating the chip to malfunction automatically.

I am thinking of using iMac as display with my plan to purchase a new mac mini. Probably that will eliminate the display issue, it is indeed that problem. Lets see. Thanks for the response.

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Companies can also force the product to fail precisely after warranty period of 3 years with some grace period. This can be done by manipulating the chip to malfunction automatically.

Really...??? I didn't know that but I somehow doubt it and sounds like something coming from a now old old Flavor-Aid user.

I sure hope both our Mid-2011 27" iMacs aren't so affected. And Gee whiz, they are both now almost 9 years old. Hard to believe they are still working well...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    It can't be bad memory at all, since it has been working for such a long time and perfectly fine.
    Not a valid assumption at all. Electronics fail. Just because it worked for 9 years does not guarantee it will work today. Given it's the cheapest to check, that is what I would look at first--just pull one strip out and see if the problem goes away. If not, put the first back in and try another. If ever you pull one and the problem ceases you have found the culprit.
    Jake

Thread Information