Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Upgrade

Memory Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
    When I try to run rember after downloading from kellycomputing.net I get a notice "rember.app" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified and only options are move to trash or cancel. Getting late will see tomorrow but thanks for the help.
    I assume you downloaded the app from the developer's website. That is your best bet to not get any malware.

Then....
    You need to go to Preferences>Security&Privacy>General tab... and change the setting to allow apps downloaded from anywhere.
    After you run the memory test, you should probably change the setting back to what it was.

I think once you allow the app to open that way, it will continue to do that in the future even if you set the security back to where it was.
    Last edited by krs; 02-16-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That message is from Gatekeeper, a security protocol from Apple. If you got the app from a trusted source (the developer site is the most trusted) then you can right click on the app, select Open and get a slightly different pop up box from Gatekeeper where you can opt to open the app despite Gatekeeper's warning. Once you allow the app to open, Gatekeeper will not ask again unless you reinstall it again.
    Jake

Memory Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    ........then you can right click on the app, select Open and get a slightly different pop up box from Gatekeeper where you can opt to open the app despite Gatekeeper's warning.
    That is an easier way than what I posted, however last time I tried that in El Capitan it didn't work for me.
    If it works-great, if not there is a fallback position.

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    That is an easier way than what I posted, however last time I tried that in El Capitan it didn't work for me.
    If it works-great, if not there is a fallback position.
    Yes, I've noticed the same inconsistent behaviour with the right-click trick. It's a bit hit-and-miss - dunno why. I've found that persistence often triumphs, though: i.e. click away from the app's icon to de-select it, then go back in with the right-click. Sometimes it can take 2 or 3 goes before it'll work.

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
    Thanks folks and yes I now always go to developer site when downloading. Thanks for the tip about gatekeeper Jake. With all modules full things today seem as they should be but I'm still gonna try rember and will post.
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    Right click Kenny and get the option to open it. This is called Gatekeeper that Aunty Apple insists on protectting us with.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Right click worked perfect was able to run app thanks guys, and I ran rember and everything is ok as far as memory. Things seem so far as they should be with all modules installed, didn't need 24gb but letting it go for now.
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just an update, for some reason I’ve been unable to get logged in until this morning to update this.

Anyway after running the memory test and passed from Kelly I had the issue return with reboot, so I got an appointment with Apple Store under my Apple Care and they ran tests finding one of the modules were bad. So I had them erase SSD and reinstall Catalina and leave one module in. They told me I should install in pairs but agreed to do.

When I picked up my Mac I asked the person about why I should install in pairs and she replied because there are four memory slots, now this didn’t make any sense to me. So once home and reading some this is what I got about this memory.

This Mac uses dual channel memory which is more efficient that single channel so when using one module it reverts to single channel memory which will be a little less efficient. Does this make senses and true? Things so far seem fine and once I get the rest of my stuff installed I’m gonna clone it with CCC because my other clone was with Mohave. Do you think having two clones with different OS’s would be an issue?
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Hey Kenny,

Didn't you have three modules in to begin with: two 4Gigs and an 8Gig? If only one of your modules tested bad, how come you ended up with just the one module in there after your trip to the Apple Store?

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    I had two 4gb and two 8gb when I went to the store.
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
    I had two 4gb and two 8gb when I went to the store.
    ...and three of them tested bad? - or have I got this hopelessly muddled here?

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    No, just one of the 8gb
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Oh I see - sorry. Got it now.

Yes, the dual-channel memory thing is correct. It's the same on my machine: the sticks should ideally be installed in matched pairs.

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Horsa, before I get another gonna see how things are. Unfortunately I cannot send back the bad module due to throwing out all the packaging. Iy just didn't seem like they were bad because of testing here with an app and it worked great for about 10 days. Kinda weird that it go so long before going crazy on me.
    Kenny

Memory Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    It seems very unfair that you can't return a faulty module simply because you no longer have its original packaging. Memory sticks - reputable ones, anyway - have a sticker on with a serial number. I'd have thought that would be enough to prove you bought it from them, especially if you have other proof of the original purchase. If I were in your shoes, I'd try contacting the dealer personally - email or phone - and explain the situation. Nothing ventured, y'know...

Thread Information