Thread: Sound volume

Sound volume
    Hello

I have an iMac and one of the things I do is listen to iTunes with earphones while I am rowing (I have an indoor rowing machine). This morning I was cranking along and had gone through several tunes when the volume suddenly dropped to a bare whisper. It is not only iTunes but every sound - alerts, bells, whistles - everything. I have checked every sound setting, keyboard, preferences, etc and all are set to maximum. Suggestions?

Thank you

poppi

Sound volume
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Have you tried another pair of earphones? And if you unplug the earphones are the sounds normal on your iMac?

Sound volume
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    You might also try gently cleaning the plug of the earphones with light emery paper. Be sure to wipe the probe clean, preferably using iso alcohol, before reinserting.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Have you tried another pair of earphones? And if you unplug the earphones are the sounds normal on your iMac?
    I think I should have provided more info. The head set is wireless, connects by Bluetooth and it is not plugged into the Mac. It also doesn't plug into the ears but sends sound by-bone conduction. All that said, I did some further experimenting and found that the volume on the iTunes was down to zero (no idea how that just happened without being touched). Increased that and everything returned to normal including the ear phones and all the other sounds (for example, I got my bell when I saved a document in Excel). Thank you all for your suggestions but the mysterious problem appears to have been operator error

poppi

Sound volume
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Okay, thanks for letting us know. Sometimes it's the simple things that can trip us up.

Sound volume
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    My guess is that your earphones turned the volume down on iTunes. I know my Bluetooth headphones can do this although I have not done it accidentally it could happen.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Sound volume
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My guess is that your earphones turned the volume down on iTunes. I know my Bluetooth headphones can do this although I have not done it accidentally it could happen.
    Yeah, for all anyone knows, there's some bugginess in the earphones' firmware. I would make sure they have the latest firmware installed. Many have an iOS app now that will update them. There's also the possibility that there's corrosion or wear/tear on internal contacts for the volume button that lead to this.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information