iMac screen - 1/2 black!!!!
    Hi - bought a new iMac 27" in July '19, and it's been fine, lovely.

All of a sudden, half the screen, the right hand side, has gone black. just Black.

Can still use the machine, but obviously this isn't right. Why on earth has this happened? Never known this in over 26 years of using Macs.

Does it stay black during reboots? Does it even light up or always stays black? You are within the 1 year AppleCare coverage, so you should make an appointment with your local Apple Store and have them resolve this for you.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Does it stay black during reboots? Does it even light up or always stays black? You are within the 1 year AppleCare coverage, so you should make an appointment with your local Apple Store and have them resolve this for you.
    Hi - thanks.

I haven't rebooted at all yet, wanted to get some opinions before doing anything tbh.

I do realise i have one year warranty, thankfully, i just think it's such an odd thing to happen - thanks

The screen cutting out is a physical thing and not much else you can "learn" by not rebooting (or ideally powering down, waiting for a few minutes and powering back up).
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

ok thanks

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Do let us know what happens. As said it sounds like a physical problem, faulty display cable connection for example.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Yes i will do, as i said I've never known it before.

My last iMac, i had nearly ten years, and it never did that. Done lots of other things but not that lol.

cheers.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Even if the problem resolves by rebooting or powering off for a few minutes, I would still open a ticket with Apple so it's on the record, just in case it recurs outside the warranty period and doesn't fix itself.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

indeed.

Well ok so I raised it with Apple, who said it could be either bad RAM, or a temperature difference, or even software conflict issue, so they advised me to restart, which I did, and it came on absolutely fine. Didn't want to restart it before as I said before speaking with Apple (cautious colin here), so thats what happened.

We shall see what happens from here in. Thanks for your replies and advice.

I'm with LiB here, bad RAM or temp differences manifesting as the screen going out indicates issues that might only get worse over time. I would take schedule an appointment with Apple to have them do a hardware test to ensure that everything is good. Also, if you haven't already, you should look into purchasing the AppleCare for the next two years beyond July 2020 to cover any pending issues.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

OK thanks for that.

Thread Information