eGPU for 2018 Mac Mini or Xbox X to run MS Flight Simulator
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Looking for opinions and suggestions.

While we do have an old Wii Console, I am absolutely not a Gamer. But, having seen the teaser videos on the update to Flight Simulator coming out in 2020, I am almost foaming at the mouth waiting for it.
    One way or another IT WILL BE MINE!

Most straight forward option is just to buy an Xbox (X or S), but then I will have a single use device because Iím just not into games . . .

On the other hand, the eGPU and a legal copy of Windows will cost a couple hundred more but will be more compact, but also means fooling with Windows, which I havenít touched since I retired 4 years ago.

I could also just buy a Windows box, but thatís even more money and clutter

Leaning toward the Xbox, but interested in hearing other opinions
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I absolutely love MS FS. I still have an older Windows version laying around somewhere, however, no Win box to run it on. And trying to run MS FS with Boot Camp is an effort in futility because of the graphics acceleration that's required.

Now if someone would gift me a new Mac Pro, Monitor (and stand of course) with the latest super graphics card.....

I would go for the Xbox version even if it is the only thing you'll run on it. Might sound like a waste of a gaming console, but believe me, if you're anything like I am when it comes to FS, you'll spend hours at a time flying and crashing. LOL

I was going to invest in the Mac FS called X-Plane but there are things about it that I don't like.

Let us know how you like the Xbox and the new FS 2020 module when it ships.

MBAmtloin
    I was just wondering if any game be played in any machine?
    Microsoft makes great things nowadays and people love the play station console.
    since there are no games in my computer set up now i miss playing golf on my itouch in 2010,
    i think EA sports had a great one which no one has matched.

Your Mac's Specs
    Here’s a link to more info (lots of videos) about the new release, sometime in 2020 is all I have seen as an actual date.

New Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS2020): The Ultimate Guide

And here’s the official developer site

Home - Microsoft Flight Simulator
    Last edited by RavingMac; 01-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Looks great Mike. The previews seem to indicate that running the 2020 MS FS on a Windows box is going to require a powerful machine. Think Alienware.

If I decide to go for it, I definitely will be looking at the Xbox. Of course if I went that route, I need to think about replacing our rather oldish 50" TV. Lot of $$$ involved. Not sure my better half would agree! LOL

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Looks great Mike. The previews seem to indicate that running the 2020 MS FS on a Windows box is going to require a powerful machine. Think Alienware.

If I decide to go for it, I definitely will be looking at the Xbox. Of course if I went that route, I need to think about replacing our rather oldish 50" TV. Lot of $$$ involved. Not sure my better half would agree! LOL
    If you ever get out to Lubbock, let me know and I can fix you up on the TV. We downsized considerably in the move, and I ended up with two TVs I didn’t need, no one I knew wanted, and were too good to just pitch.

First is a 55in LG 1080P, second is a 40in Samsung 4K (at least I think I still have both. I’m certain about the LG, I shifted it while trying to organize my computer room the other day).

Thread Information