Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: GPU Frozen?

Unhappy GPU Frozen?
    Hello to all
    I leave my computer usually ON (in sleeping mode), just a few minutes ago I wake it up and to my surprise it showed up like the first image, looking like a frozen window, literally, it goes without saying that I freaked out since it is the first time I experience something like this ever. After some time I noticed that it started to defrost? it has been colder than usual down here in Miami, FL, but never thought this could actually happen. How do I avoid this from happening again? Right now in this precise moment is almost completely "defrost" and returning to normal. Please advise.
    IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0416.jpg

GPU Frozen?
    How old is the iMac? Did the issue clear up after some time? More than GPU, this looks more like a LCD issue.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    How old is the iMac? Did the issue clear up after some time? More than GPU, this looks more like a LCD issue.
    Hello Ashwin
    Yes, the issue cleared completely, but just now, I have noticed some ghosting from the white square in the center from covering my name and such, this is an Early 2013, 27".

GPU Frozen?
    The 2011 iMac did have a recall related to the graphics cards, but that wasn't an issue for the 2013 iMacs. Now, ensure that your iMac vents are clear at the bottom. The system is designed to bring in air from the bottom of the iMac, send it over the components inside and then expel it from the top. There are a number of vents on the top and if you touch it, you will feel quite a bit of heat.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The 2011 iMac did have a recall related to the graphics cards, but that wasn't an issue for the 2013 iMacs. Now, ensure that your iMac vents are clear at the bottom. The system is designed to bring in air from the bottom of the iMac, send it over the components inside and then expel it from the top. There are a number of vents on the top and if you touch it, you will feel quite a bit of heat.
    Hey!
    Thanks for the tip, I just swept my finger on the back and it is pretty dusty, tomorrow I will blow some air in those bottom vents, and clean them up! Again thanks for your reply!!

GPU Frozen?
    Quote Originally Posted by hperez View Post
    Hey!
    Thanks for the tip, I just swept my finger on the back and it is pretty dusty, tomorrow I will blow some air in those bottom vents, and clean them up! Again thanks for your reply!!
    There are number of vents in the bottom, so you should carefully try to clean it. I don't remember if the 2013 model is where the glued the front screen onto the system, on my 2009 model the front glass is held in with magnets, so I can remove the glass and then the back and use compressed air to clean things out. If you can't reliably access the inside, be careful using compressed air to clear the vents since you might end up just blowing all the dust inside without a clear way out and make the situation worse.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

GPU Frozen?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    The 2012 iMac and on up to the most recent have the screen glued on with special double sided tape. OWC and ifixit sell the kits to remove the screen and include new tape.

Thread Information