Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: 2018 Mini Crash

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    2018 Mini Crash
    Advice please - my 2018 Mini (see specs in profile) crashed last evening, cause uncertain. No power issues, the only thing that *might* be related was a warning from Gmail that its Extension 'Gmail Checker' needed to be shut down or reactivated, cannot recall exactly.

The machine tries to reboot, and the progress bar makes it to about 50-65% before it crashes again. After the 3rd or 4th attempt, nothing further.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Have you tried any of the resets?

NVRAM - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support - I believe that model Mac Mini has the Apple T2 Security Chip. There are special instructions for that model.
    SMC - How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support - this is the section the deals with the T2 Security Chip.

Also give safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support, a try.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    Update - things have regressed to worse, there is no video signal coming from the Mini, so I cannot reset anything, nor can I boot into Safe mode, since there is no discernible boot activity. [The Mini is connected to a standby DVI monitor via an adaptor, and I'm informed repeatedly No Signal.]

I don't think it's PRAM incidentally, nor SMC, as none of the symptoms of the problem align with their descriptions.

What is notable however, is that the PSU is activated, the little white light at the front R corner shines intermittently (until the Mini shuts itself down), but the weirdest part is how the machine hisses at me with a low level 'woosh' sound, which I have tried to record with a camera on video setting. I have never encountered this before, and can only assume the noise is coming from the inboard speaker. What might it be/indicate?

Further thoughts and/or advice please before I submit the Mini to an authorised repair centre (great timing, just before Christmas).
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Further thoughts and/or advice please before I submit the Mini to an authorised repair centre (great timing, just before Christmas).
    The sooner you send it in, the sooner you get it back. Sounds like the PSU has issues. That's about all I've got. Is it still under AppleCare?
    Jake

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    The sooner you send it in, the sooner you get it back. Sounds like the PSU has issues. Is it still under AppleCare?
    Thanks Jake, you're right, and I've booked it in for next Mon. It may *just* sneak in under warranty, for which I shall fight tooth n nail.

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Let me suggest instead of "tooth n nail" to use "sweetness and light" in your approach. The Apple folks sometimes stretch warranty work, and it seems to be more often when the interaction is nice. When people get aggressive, they stand their ground pretty well. So maybe just put on a puppy-dog face and see how that works.
    Jake

2018 Mini Crash
    Your Mac's Specs
    Let me assure you Jake, this is NZ, t&n does not necessarily mean aggression, but I take your point about s&l. That said, my teeth are anything but fearsome, something to do with age. Nails? Schmailz!

Thread Information