Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Migration Assistant Help....Old iMac (USB-3) -------> NEW iMac (USB-C)?
    Hello,

I just got a brand new iMac with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).
    My Old iMac HAD one of the original Thunderbolt ports, but it is no longer talking to the motherboard (can't mount an external HDD with the old Thunderbolt cable to my Old iMac, but CAN mount said drive to OTHER Macs via same cable/port, so it is a port issue on my Old Mac).

Having said that, I have about 2TB of data on my Old iMac and I want to transfer everything over to my New iMac, but am dreading having to do so via "Wi-Fi" and Migration Assistant, and waiting until retirement for the process to finish.

I know that Migration Assistant will allow me to set up a "Thunderbolt Bridge" (if BOTH machines have USB-C), but can I run a
    USB 3 Cable from my Old iMac to a USB-C (Thunderbolt) port on my New iMac, thus transferring files MUCH faster than via Wi-Fi?

If not, and I don't use Migration Assistant at all.....will spanning the cable I just mentioned allow my machines to talk to each other and then I can Manually move files from Old to New?

Basically, I'd love for Migration Assistant to just handle everything so I don't have to make any decisions and everything winds up in the proper location on the new computer (like Application Support files), I just don't want it to take days to accomplish the transfer, so I'm looking for the fastest way to accomplish this task.

I know some might say to just bump up my iCloud storage, push everything to the Cloud, then just download from the Cloud to the New iMac, but that's basically the same thing (timewise) as the "Wi-Fi" Migration Assistant transfer.

Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I know some might say to just bump up my iCloud storage, push everything to the Cloud, then just download from the Cloud to the New iMac, but that's basically the same thing (timewise) as the "Wi-Fi" Migration Assistant transfer.
    That won't work anyway since iCloud does not support that, and is limited to only certain things.

There are various ways to migrate your data:

- Time Machine

- Carbon Copy Cloner

When I migrated my data from my old iMac to the new one, I used Time Machine to do it and it worked well. The only thing you need to remember when migrating that way is NOT to create an account on the new iMac as the migration assistant will do that for you. Otherwise you'll wind up with two accounts and a confusion of data scattered.

Both methods mentioned above require an external hard drive. Keep in mind that if your new iMac came preloaded with Catalina none of your old 32 bit apps will work. Also, you new iMac is formatted to APFS. Make sure you do your homework first to determine if all your apps and data are compatible with Catalina before doing any kind of transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That won't work anyway since iCloud does not support that, and is limited to only certain things.

There are various ways to migrate your data:

- Time Machine

- Carbon Copy Cloner

When I migrated my data from my old iMac to the new one, I used Time Machine to do it and it worked well. The only thing you need to remember when migrating that way is NOT to create an account on the new iMac as the migration assistant will do that for you. Otherwise you'll wind up with two accounts and a confusion of data scattered.

Both methods mentioned above require an external hard drive. Keep in mind that if your new iMac came preloaded with Catalina none of your old 32 bit apps will work. Also, you new iMac is formatted to APFS. Make sure you do your homework first to determine if all your apps and data are compatible with Catalina before doing any kind of transfer.
    Thanks for the heads up re: not creating a new account because MA is going to do that for me.
    Also, I'd forgotten about the 32/64 bit dilemma I'll now face with some of my apps.

One thing you didn't mention is my question about connecting a USB 3 to USB C cable from my Old iMac to my New iMac (respectively), and whether or not my New iMac will even recognize that my Old iMac is connected to it via that cable.
    Can you give me some insight to whether or not that will work, and if not, why not (just for my own curiosity)?

Thanks,

Justin

Your Mac's Specs
    One thing you didn't mention is my question about connecting a USB 3 to USB C cable from my Old iMac to my New iMac (respectively), and whether or not my New iMac will even recognize that my Old iMac is connected to it via that cable.
    The USB 3 ports on your old iMac are input data only and your new iMac does not support Target Mode. That method will not work.

Check out this article on how to transfer data from one Mac to another: 4 Ways to Transfer Files Between Two Macs - wikiHow

The USB 3 ports on your old iMac are input data only and your new iMac does not support Target Mode. That method will not work.

Check out this article on how to transfer data from one Mac to another: 4 Ways to Transfer Files Between Two Macs - wikiHow
    Damn.
    Ok, thanks!

Not that it affects me or my old iMac, but is that actually true that the old iMac's USB 3 ports only support input data only.

I hadn't noted that being mentioned among all the support articles. I guess I didn't read them properly and what's the point of restricting one-way data. That doesn't make any sense.

- Patrick
    ======

The USB 3 ports on your old iMac are input data only and your new iMac does not support Target Mode.
    I was wondering about the second part of that statement as well.

Are you saying no new iMacs support Target Disk Mode? Or is this a specific issue in this situation because of port incompatibility between the two Macs?

Your Mac's Specs
    Are you saying no new iMacs support Target Disk Mode?
    Yes, according to Apple:

Note: Target Display Mode isn't supported on iMac models with Retina display.
    Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010),
    and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Agreed. chscag is correct - Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Ian
    Ian

Yes, according to Apple:

Note: Target Display Mode isn't supported on iMac models with Retina display.
    Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010),
    and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.
    Agreed. chscag is correct - Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Guys....we are talking about Target Disk Mode in this thread, not Target Display Mode!!!
    Two totally different things.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

PS: I was surprised to read that it is possible to use an older iMac as a display only.
    That question has come up a few times, even in this forum I think, and the answer was always - not possible.

So is Target Disk Mode no longer supported by Apple on new iMacs?
    I would really be surprised if that was true.

But there are really several parts to that question:
    1. Is it supported on new Macs in general that have compatible ports and compatible software? I would hope the answer is a resounding "Yes"
    2. Is it supported between Macs that have compatible ports but one is running macOS 10.15?
    3. Is it supported if one needs some sort of cable adapter to interconnect the Macs?

I have only ever used Target Disk Mode with Firewire and that worked very well.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @krs

Oops

Can't speak for our Admin, but I got carried away and totally confused Disk & Display Modes. Sorry about that, krs. I don't think there are restrictions on the Macs in DISK mode, but there's a lot of emphasis on the right cables - as per your linked article.

Anyway, apologies all.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks for getting this thread back on course.

It also shows the importance of correct terminology being used or even misunderstood as the case may be.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    So is Target Disk Mode no longer supported by Apple on new iMacs?
    I would really be surprised if that was true.
    No, apparently there is some confusion between display mode and disk mode. Disk mode is still supported, assuming that one uses the correct cables and or adapters.

Sorry if I threw a bit of confusion into the reply above.

Apple even emphasizes disk mode by specifying Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt.

Apple even emphasizes disk mode by specifying Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt.
    Fair enough....but Apple hasn't always put out the correct information - especially if one requires a cable that Apple does not offer.

Target Disk Mode (TDM) works with Firewire, USB 3 and Thunderbolt connections where the ports are the same on both Macs

It's hard to find credible information if TDM works between say a Mac with USB 3 ports and a Mac with Thunderbolt ports assuming the correct cable.
    That is one of the questions I think the OP had.

I really see no reason why it should not - in a sense it's no different than connecting a new Mac with Thunderbolt ports to an external drive with only a USB 3 port.

I really see no reason why it should not - in a sense it's no different than connecting a new Mac with Thunderbolt ports to an external drive with only a USB 3 port.
    You mean with a Thunderbolt 3 port that combines Thunderbolt, USB, DisplayPort and power via a single USB-C connector???

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information