Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Trouble starting up iMac
    I am getting a timeout error message when trying to start up my iMac (circa 2011). I rarely use this computer but have never had issues before. I am not sure what OS it is running and nothing (USB or anything) is plugged into it. It also tells me that I need to restart by holding down the power button, which I do, but then I just get this screen again. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_1929.jpg

Trouble starting up iMac
    You are getting a panic with the early OS start up code and it's likely related to a failed HDD assuming its the original spinning disk. You will need to get a replacement drive (ideally a SSD) and re-install macOS/OSX and go from there.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thank you for your quick reply! Please forgive my ignorance, but if I need a new drive, can my files possibly be retrieved or are they all lost?

Trouble starting up iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

Unless you have a backup, it's possible that your files may be lost.

Trouble starting up iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    That's hard to say. It really depends upon the extent of drive damage and what aspect of the drive is damaged. If it's a mechanism issue there isn't much hope. If the problem was caused directory damage there might be some hope. Once you can get a new drive in place and get the OS on it you've got nothing to loose by trying to save the data.

Hope you have a backup.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Trouble starting up iMac
    I'll side with my fellow Admin/Moderators here and say the answer is "it depends" on whether you lost your data or not. If this wasn't a frequently used machine, you probably didn't take pains to backup your data. Additionally if the failure is mechanical (the platter isn't spinning), that's going to require professional data recovery (which will be in the thousands if not tens of thousands). However, if the platter is spinning but some data is demagnetized, then you might try some data recovery applications to see if it can recover the data for you. If it does find the date, it might be only be in the hundreds for you to recover.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thank you everyone! I have already transferred all of my important files (hence the no backup) so it's not a big deal if I can't access them, I was just curious. I was actually planning on giving the computer to a friend so it's a bummer it isn't working, but I will probably take it in to see if it is worth fixing. Thanks again for all your help!

Thread Information