Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Is there a way I can speed up this iMac?
    Hello,

The first Mac I bought was about 5 years ago now and is this iMac I'm typing on. I'll never forget the sales lady at the Apple store told me it's a "workhorse" when I told her that I simply needed something that would be reliable.

So fast forward maybe 1 year after buying this machine and it's FAR from being a workhorse. I wouldn't even dream of trying to fire up Photoshop. Opening apps like Numbers is a half day event. Seriously...I an expect to wait about 3 full minutes to open a spreadsheet.

I simply do not use it for anything other than typing and web because it's so slow I can't use it for anything else.

I have a Macbook that is blazing fast and opens apps like Photoshop in a few seconds. But this thing is not like that and it's very frustrating. I can't even use the web sometimes. The other day I had Google Chrome open with about 8 tabs and the tabs froze. I simply needed to type something. For fun I started a stopwatch to see how long the little color wheel of death would spin as I clicked my way through a page and dealt with freezing then unfreezing and freezing again. I stopped the timer at 22 minutes.

It took me 22 minutes to TYPE something because everything came to a halt just because I tried to refresh a browser window!

That's not a "workhorse" to me.

After a reboot it ran a bit faster, but that won't last more than a day or two...it's just slow.

So my long winded question is...is there anything I can do to speed this thing up? I've looked at software "cleaners" but those type of programs never really worked for PC's so I assume they don't do much to truly speed up a Mac either.

Yes, it was basically the least expensive Mac in the store (which for me at the time was very expensive) but I have an even older PC that performs basic duties much faster than this and that doesn't make sense. Is there a way to clean out everything but the bare necessities? Will that even work?

Did I get a lemon?

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    First...please provide exact system specs & macOS version installed. Sometimes this info can be important identifying issues.

Second...what sort of internal storage does this iMac have (spinner hard drive, Fusion drive, SSD)? If a spinner HD...it could be failing.

Third...please tell us how full the internal storage is. If it's almost completely full...this could definitely cause issues.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Usually the model, type and year, along with OS version can help us diagnose issues better.

You can download Etrecheck, EtreCheck, and it can help diagnose issue with your Mac?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Is it my imagination or are there a lot of "My Mac is running very slow" or "Can I speed up my Mac" on this forum lately?

Maybe we need a sticky we can point members to when they have that problem - just a simple check list with some of the points Nick has posted along with any free apps useful to check these parameters - apps like DriveDX to check the health of the drive and EtreCheck as already mentioned.
    Saves repeating the same basic things to check.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Is it my imagination or are there a lot of "My Mac is running very slow" or "Can I speed up my Mac" on this forum lately?

Maybe we need a sticky we can point members to when they have that problem - just a simple check list with some of the points Nick has posted along with any free apps useful to check these parameters - apps like DriveDX to check the health of the drive and EtreCheck as already mentioned.
    Saves repeating the same basic things to check.
    Usually, I post the link to Randyís webpage, but I couldnít find my bookmark for it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Usually, I post the link to Randy’s webpage, but I couldn’t find my bookmark for it.

How's this???
    Macintosh OS X Slowdown Solutions
    By Randy B. Singer

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    How's this???
    By Randy B. Singer

Randy should probably update that webpage.
    It's dated 2017 - I don't see EtreCheck anywhere on that webpage and OS 10.15 may also require a modified approach for this problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    How's this???
    By Randy B. Singer

- Patrick
    ======
    Yes, thatís one of them, thank you Patrick.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    Mini on steroids; 2011 iMac, 2012 MB Pro
    Onyx is a good, reliable "cleaner" for Macs. If that doesn't fix things, you may need more RAM (you got the cheapest model, so you also got a minimal amount of memory.) It's likely that the Mac is bogged down swapping stuff out of RAM into "virtual memory" on the hard drive. Double the RAM, just for starters, and if you want to really speed things up, install an SSD in place of whatever weak, slow HD came with your machine. You should see a huge improvement.

What jpdemers said.

Also, you may want to remove Google's Backup and Sync or similar systems from your Mac, I had similar issues with a very powerful Hackintosh a year or so ago, I know it couldn't be a hardware shortcoming, and finally tracked it down to that software running AMOK on my system, once I removed it my Hackintosh was fine again. For some reason it was a resource hog. Mind you, I had some pretty massive data on my Hack, so that software was probably designed to sync a few Office docs, I'm a photographer so I have fairly massive data needs...

Thread Information