Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

New iMac on the way - any advice and no-nos in transtion from the old computer?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Hi All - my wife's late 2012 iMac has a failing fusion drive (3 warnings from DriveDx and First Aid & Onyx are unable to complete their initial procedures), so a few days ago I ordered a new iMac for her from the Apple website - I have duplicate TM & CCC backups and plan to use a TM BU w/ Migration Assistant to setup the new computer. This will be my first Mac computer transition so just wondering if there are any suggestions or advice on what to do or not? Just some first thoughts: 1) Will the 'Users' need to be renamed and 2) If all goes well, I assume that my backup HDs should just be reformatted and started afresh on the new iMac - I'm sure other questions will come to mind. Thanks for any comments. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    ON the first boot, you should get some "Welcome" screens and setup stuff (language, location, etc). Eventually you will be offered a chance to migrate data from an old Mac. If you take that opportunity to Migrate, when it is done the new machine will look just like the old one--her account, data, applications and entire system will be just as it is now. You really don't have to do much other than that.

If you miss that opportunity and migrate later on, it may not be as easy to complete the migration. Migration Assistant, the tool that does the migration, will NOT overwrite any account you create but will create a new account. If the names are the same, it will make up a new name for that new account. Her new account will NOT be able to access those old files because the ownership of those files will be set to that made up name. To get access you will have to change permissions on every file to grant her access to them. So take that first offering and migrate from either the TM or CCC backups.

As for the old backup drives, once you know that the new system has everything and everything works, I would reformat and recycle them into being backups for the new system. If she needs the history in TM, you can keep that and just let the drive be used for TM from the new machine. TM will sort out the space it needs as it goes along. CCC, if you have Safety Net on, can do the same thing, but I would go ahead, once you know you have it all safely on the new machine, and wipe it to start over with the new.

Hope that helps and congratulations on the new machine. I'm only slightly jealous.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    ON the first boot, you should get some "Welcome" screens and setup stuff (language, location, etc). Eventually you will be offered a chance to migrate data from an old Mac. If you take that opportunity to Migrate, when it is done the new machine will look just like the old one--her account, data, applications and entire system will be just as it is now. You really don't have to do much other than that.

If you miss that opportunity and migrate later on, it may not be as easy to complete the migration. Migration Assistant, the tool that does the migration, will NOT overwrite any account you create but will create a new account. If the names are the same, it will make up a new name for that new account. Her new account will NOT be able to access those old files because the ownership of those files will be set to that made up name. To get access you will have to change permissions on every file to grant her access to them. So take that first offering and migrate from either the TM or CCC backups.

As for the old backup drives, once you know that the new system has everything and everything works, I would reformat and recycle them into being backups for the new system. If she needs the history in TM, you can keep that and just let the drive be used for TM from the new machine. TM will sort out the space it needs as it goes along. CCC, if you have Safety Net on, can do the same thing, but I would go ahead, once you know you have it all safely on the new machine, and wipe it to start over with the new.

Hope that helps and congratulations on the new machine. I'm only slightly jealous.
    Thanks Jake for the excellent comments - I'll do an immediate migration to avoid the 'user issue' mentioned, which I had read about. Will follow your other advice about the BU drives - thanks again! The old iMac was pushing 7 years of age so I guess we got our use from it - BTW, for those interested, the new iMac is the 21.5" model (her preference) - upgraded to a retina 4K display, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD, plus AppleCare - looking forward to the machine myself - Dave

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing.
    Last edited by chscag; 11-06-2019 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Removed link to blog. No blogs without permission!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    FWIW, Dave,

Although I have CCC and SD!, I have always used one of my two Time Machine backups to set up a new Mac. Habit, I guess as TM was well established before bootable clones became so popular.

Exactly as Jake pointed out, no need to duplicate his excellent post.

Make sure everything is attached on the new Mac - power cable, TM BU EHD, Ethernet WiFi cable if that's how you get your WiFi. When all ready, Power Up and follow the steps as Jake said. If you choose TM, you won't need Migration Assistant, it just does the job for you.

When finished, everything is, as was, on the old Mac.

Theoretically, you don't need to reformat a TM BU; but I would do that with one of them and start afresh, keeping the "old" as a backstop for a few days, then reformat that one too. (NB TM still requires OS X Extended (Journaled)) whether spinning or SSD; whether HFS+ or APFS.

I've always reformatted cloned BUs, choosing the format recommended by CCC or SD!.

Good luck. It's real fun getting a new iMac.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think Jake and Ian have covered all the bases very well. I too would prefer TM in this instance because it is a new device with a mint macOS and you will be offered the opportunity to Restore data to it as part of the Setup Wizard program.
    If the HD was blank (a new replacement) or you wanted to overwrite it the CCC clone is perfect.

Please don't encrypt it when offered.
    Do not opt to store Documents an Desktop on iCloud.
    You can share diagnostics with Apple if you wish.
    You can also share Siri recorded scripts if you wish.
    There are a number of new options like Screen Time provided in Catalina but they can all be done, or not, at a later date.
    If this device does not come with Catalina already installed then most of the last paragraph will not apply.
    If it does then have you considered the 64Bit app restriction? Your wife may still have a few 32Bit apps in her backup. If so they will be displayed during set up and disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 11-06-2019 at 05:29 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Ian & Rod for further helpful comments. A while back as a potential pre-Catalina install on the old iMac, I deleted a bunch of 32-bit apps - first pic below (from Go64) are the 32-bit apps left on the computer - all but the 'InkServer.app' have 64-bit versions using System Information - the older versions were presumably not deleted - so, feel fine w/ this issue.

As shown in the second pic, the computer comes w/ macOS (assume Catalina) and some other Apple apps. Thanks again all for the advice. Dave

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.25.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 10.01.13 AM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    Update! - again, thanks for all the comments - the new iMac arrived Friday but Susan was still 'cleaning out' her DLs, Desktop, Docs & Pics folders (saved me 20+GB on the TM transfer) - so waited until today and spent much of the afternoon in setting up the new computer - over half of the time was in the TM transfer (and users came across fine) & the need to upgrade from the shipping macOS, Mojave, to Catalina - my 2 printers worked fine. A minor issue w/ her finance app that we'll resolve - made 'new' TM & CCC backups and plan to run Onyx just to 'clean out' the caches, etc. Overall a fairly easy transition for my first effort. Dave

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Great news, Dave. Well done.

Slightly surprised that the new iMac shipped with macOS Mojave - although I guess there must still be some backlog of unsold Macs. It's always nice to get the latest OS on the Mac; it feels more like a clean install. Anyway, that's history. Enjoy. Enjoy.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Congrats on the new addition Mike. Once you get all the traditional stuff completed...please give us your thoughts on what you think of it...and how it compares to the older iMac.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Great news, Dave. Well done.

Slightly surprised that the new iMac shipped with macOS Mojave - although I guess there must still be some backlog of unsold Macs. It's always nice to get the latest OS on the Mac; it feels more like a clean install. Anyway, that's history. Enjoy. Enjoy.

Ian
    Hi Ian - well, I was a little POed myself (added an extra hour or so) - my TM BU drive from the old iMac was a Mojave installation but I did not have to run 'Migration Assistant', i.e. just plugged in the external HD and selected transfer of the checked non-OS items - cannot imagine that the transfer would have affected the OS installed on the new iMac? My most recent iPad Pro purchase came w/ an older iOS version that I needed to upgrade, so I imagine the iMac was already 'in the box' w/ my specifications and w/ Mojave and the iWork suite already installed - in fact, checked 'Info' on Pages and the creation date is September 25, 2019 before Catalina was released. The 'About' info simply states an iMac 4K 2019. Dave

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Congrats on the new addition Mike. Once you get all the traditional stuff completed...please give us your thoughts on what you think of it...and how it compares to the older iMac.
    Hi Nick - well, I was going to wait until next spring to replace her iMac but the HD was on the way out - Apple has been somewhat lackadaisical in updating their iMacs, so a concern - but read a few articles, such as the in the first pic below (Source) and appeared that their 'butts were lit' earlier this year - the 21.5" display is spectacular as set (but Susan will likely want to increase the text size which stills looks great!). The second pic shows just a few specs from the 'About' menu item - with the 16 GB of RAM and the SSD, I believe the computer will be much faster, all a vast improvement over the old iMac, even when fairly new. Dave
    NewiMac1.png
    NewiMac2.png

Thread Information