Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac OS Update

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    @pm-r, Hotmail/Outlook/Microsoft disables the back button, because it would back out of being logged into the email account.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mac OS Update
    OK, and thanks for the info Bob. But I must admit it seems like a very odd way of doing things and contravenes the normal use of navigation arrows, unless I'm not understanding the situation correctly, which is very possible.

- Patrick
    ======

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Here is what I think is going on. The user, in this case ID_Bill or timurray, goes to hotmail in his browser and logs in. MS treats this as if it were a home page. ID_Bill or timurray then open a message to read, which opens a new browser page. Then they open another and another. The history looks like this:

home page > message 1 > Message 2> message 3>

At this point they click the "Back" button and that takes them back through the sequence from right to left

Message 3 > Message 2> Message 1 > home page

Now I don't use hotmail, so maybe there are other steps, like having to return to the home page to see the list of unread, in which case the sequence would be:

home page > message 1 < homepage > message 2 < home page > message 3

Where the > is forward and the < is back. If you back through that sequence in history you would get

3 - home - 2 - home - 1 - home

At the end of each of those sequences going backwards, at the final home page the back button is grey because there is no more history to go back to. It's not that anybody has disabled the back key, it's that there is no place to go to. It's in how MS handles the transfer from the login page to the hotmail page. Essentially it sets the first message screen, where the unread are shown, as the first page in the history of the tab.

As I said, I don't use Hotmail, but I have seen this sort of thing in other places one goes that use links to get from the login into the data screens. You can't use "Back" to get back to the login screen because that URL is not in the history of the new screen.
    Jake

Mac OS Update

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    So endith the cause and the reason it seems. But maybe try a different application that might work and display better for you and get your back arrow back working again.

- Patrick
    ======
    Same in Safari, Opera, and Firefox.

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Here is what I think is going on. The user, in this case ID_Bill or timurray, goes to hotmail in his browser and logs in. MS treats this as if it were a home page. ID_Bill or timurray then open a message to read, which opens a new browser page. Then they open another and another. The history looks like this:

home page > message 1 > Message 2> message 3>

At this point they click the "Back" button and that takes them back through the sequence from right to left

Message 3 > Message 2> Message 1 > home page

Now I don't use hotmail, so maybe there are other steps, like having to return to the home page to see the list of unread, in which case the sequence would be:

home page > message 1 < homepage > message 2 < home page > message 3

Where the > is forward and the < is back. If you back through that sequence in history you would get

3 - home - 2 - home - 1 - home

At the end of each of those sequences going backwards, at the final home page the back button is grey because there is no more history to go back to. It's not that anybody has disabled the back key, it's that there is no place to go to. It's in how MS handles the transfer from the login page to the hotmail page. Essentially it sets the first message screen, where the unread are shown, as the first page in the history of the tab.

As I said, I don't use Hotmail, but I have seen this sort of thing in other places one goes that use links to get from the login into the data screens. You can't use "Back" to get back to the login screen because that URL is not in the history of the new screen.
    No, Hotmail, looks the same as Apple Mail. A single column listing all emails for that box (inbox, sent, drafts, etc.), then select one email and it opens in the same window - right next to the column, not in a new tab or window. Just like Apple macOS Mail app does.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, can you describe what the posters mean about the "Back" button, then? Apple Mail has no "back" button, you just close an open message and the list reappears. So what is the function of this missing "back" button?
    Jake

Mac OS Update

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    OK, and thanks for the info Bob. But I must admit it seems like a very odd way of doing things and contravenes the normal use of navigation arrows, unless I'm not understanding the situation correctly, which is very possible.

- Patrick
    ======
    If the Back button always meant "take me back to the previous URL I was at", then it would eventually take you out of Outlook's email. I would not mind if it meant (while viewing Outlook) "take me back to the previous email I was viewing", that would be kind of nice if it could stop at the first starting view. I would not want to click enough Backs to take me out, however.

Mac OS Update
    If the Back button always meant "take me back to the previous URL I was at", then it would eventually take you out of Outlook's email.
    I'm still not very clear on your view or what is happening, but I am just wondering if it would help by changing your view option if it is available.

IE: In my mail I have it set to use "Classic List View", but I do not use Hotmail and don't quite understand where this back arrow would exist or how.

Maybe you could supply a screenshot to help make things a bit clearer to your problem.

- Patrick
    ======

Mac OS Update

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    This is the Back button.
    The Back button is this one, and not specific to the web view of Hotmail:
    BackButton.png
    And I have no problem!

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    timurray's picture in post #24 is the back button of Safari. So if that is the button ID_Bill was talking about, then what I said in post #18 is the most likely scenario. I'll modify it a bit to say that it might be this:

Hotmail > click on message message (text pops up in a pop up window and is eventually dismissed however one does that) > Hotmail.

No back arrow because Safari never left Hotmail page, hence, nothing to go back to see. As I said, I don't know how hotmail works, never used it, but the picture from timurray is definitely the Safari Back and Forward buttons, so that is, to me, about all it can be. It might be the case that if hotmail uses pop ups as I described here, they may have previously used separate URLs for each opened message, in which case the back arrow would have backed one through previous opened emails and eventually stopped at the Hotmail original page where the history ended, unless the history went back to some page visited prior to hotmail, in which case the Back button would take you out of hotmail and to that prior page. That action might look like "logging out" of hotmail, but it's just going back in history one more page.
    Jake

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    Here's what Hotmail looks like,

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 10.39.17 AM.png

The email opens next to the list of emails. No pop ups, no new tab, same window the other emails are still selectable, if you want to go back to one.
    -- Bob --

Mac OS Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    So, if that is Hotmail, then if you open Hotmail in a new tab, there is, in that tab, no history to go back to. If you go to Hotmail from some other page, you can go back to that previous page or pages, but I don't know what Hotmail will do--log you out, keep you in, something else?
    Jake

Mac OS Update
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Logically, it would take you back to the previous Tab. This is a browser function, not a HotMail function.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information