Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

I have an apple power Mac g4 desktop computer tha does not boot properly
    I need to know how to fix my boot program that is on my Apple g4 pro Mac desktop computer in does not boot properly it boot into a apple screen that is not the Apple logo but it's a Mac loader logo for it looks like a little computer screen with a happy face on it and it will not do none of the commands of recovery or anything else does anybody have any help
    I

Does it look like this???

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 7.38.34 PM.png

Is it stuck there???

Maybe provide a few more details if you can.

- Patrick
    ======
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes exactly. When I turn it on it goes directly to that screen and does not make a sound and it does not recognize function keys like recovery or disk utility or boot from CD anything. It takes a really long time and it will come up with an error message that disk first aid is unable to read the install disc I don't know what to do can you help me after a while it will still boot but once it's in once I start trying to load it or open windows it will freeze up immediately. I am I familiar with apple or Mac computers only no windows and this computer is a 1999 edition with running 9.0 operating system and I don't know much about it other than turn the thing on and to try to clear the disk and to try to fix anything about it I don't know

Lightbulb Re: Apple Power mac G4 does not boot properly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikedmm667 View Post
    Yes exactly. When I turn it on it goes directly to that screen and does not make a sound and it does not recognize function keys like recovery or disk utility or boot from CD anything. It takes a really long time and it will come up with an error message that disk first aid is unable to read the install disc I don't know what to do can you help me after a while it will still boot but once it's in once I start trying to load it or open windows it will freeze up immediately. I am I familiar with apple or Mac computers only no windows and this computer is a 1999 edition with running 9.0 operating system and I don't know much about it other than turn the thing on and to try to clear the disk and to try to fix anything about it I don't know
    Sounds like the hard disk has died and will need replacing. The hard disk could either be a IDE drive (or SCSI on some older Macs). Replacing that would be a start.
    If you don't have the MacOS 9 discs, then you can install a PowerPC Linux distro such as Debian or LUbuntu (see Installing Linux on PowerPC Macs | Low End Mac).

Sounds like the hard disk has died and will need replacing. The hard disk could either be a IDE drive (or SCSI on some older Macs). Replacing that would be a start.

I would agree that the drive is certainly not working properly but not quite dead otherwise it wouldn't be smiling. ;-)

I just realized that the OP was talkin about a Apple g4 pro Mac desktop computer which would have used a Serial ATA Drive, Not Scuzzy (SCSI).

Also, I cannot recall if a dead PRAM battery would prevent those G4s from booting up completely or not, but something to check out. But I don't think they were affected as long as they were plugged in of course. ;-)

I would check around your local area and see if there is a Macintosh users group (*MUG) with some older members who may be able to help get that G4 Pro running again.

But beware of the temptation to spend way more money and restoration on the unit than the computer is worth, as great a machine they were in their day.

I still have my old MDD dual boot model downstairs that was still working last time I tried it. And such a dream to work on compared to the Modern Day stuff.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information