Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: iMac problems

iMac problems
    Hello.

I bought an iMac 27, 2011 used a few years ago and experienced problems after a mnonth. The mac would go into white screen after startup. When ru nning hard ware diagnosis test I got an error with RAM.

I put it aside and just recentry decided to find the problem and start using it. I sent it to the Mac repair shop to get a proper diagnosis. They ran a full test and there was no problems reported. The only problem was the fan (Mac got very hot) and a little svreen flickering during start up. When booting from abn external disk it ran fine. They told me to reinstall the system and I should be good to go.

So I came home and did an Iternet Recovery start up. At first the Mac just ended in white screen. I noticed it was very hot, so I waited until it cooled down and tried again. Got through the process (almost) and got the famous white screen. I npoticed the mac had two physical hard drives, one 240 gig and one 2 TB. I tried installing on the 2 TB instead of the 240 GIG. This time i was able to install and there was no overheating. But I still have the problems. I start using the Mac and after a while the screen turns black and then white (or just white). Then the Mac restarts and hang on the start up process.

I do not want to give it up just yet. I am thinking the 240 gig disk might be the problem.- Or the graphics card.

What would be the next step now? Boot from external disk and see what happens?

The repair place told me they cannot help since this is an old model and they cant get spare parts.

Just checked the specs. It cannot have been the an on the 240 gig since it is a SSD disk. The specs on the mac is:
    iMac 27" 2011 i7 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2GB Video, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD + Superdrive

iMac problems
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Yes, that is correct. This was one of the early iMacs that had a SSD AND a 2TB HDD - before they were fused into one and sold as a "Fusion Drive".

The idea was that the Operating System (OS) and Home Folder would be on the SSD and all the apps, data, documents, photos etc would be on the HDD.

I suspect that there is a problem with one or more of these Drives. From my own experience with one of these combination iMacs, was not a happy one. If you can get your repair shop person to check these out???

Ian
    Ian

Thank you for the answer. I too think that the drives are the problem. I just tolkes to the technician. He told me that when they notes from extrnal disk they had no issues whatsoever. I guess replacibg disks would be my best action. I see I have to get the kit from OWC with the temperature sensor. Any ideas of what disk would work the best?

iMac problems
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    My advice is to be guided by OWC. Yes you will need all these bits and pieces and that should include heat sensor and appropriate cable, the latter is important. Give OWC all the info about your SSD and HDD, indeed everything about your iMac.

I presume that your "technician" is capable and willing to do all this work. Whether they or you, you might want to visit iFixit: The Free Repair Manual where there are very detailed instructions on how to do this with diagrams and pictures. Moreover, whoever is doing this work will need the proper tools and these can be purchased from iFixit: The Free Repair Manual as well.

Good luck.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information