Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

2017 iMac and fusion drive options and queries
    I bought a second-hand 27inch 5k 2017 iMac which has a 1tb fusion drive, running Mojave. Iíve generally been a pc person in the past so thereís a learning curve involved for me with all things Apple.
    The seek times for the hdd portion of the fusion drive is a clear bottleneck which Iíd like to rectify via an ssd upgrade. So I have the options of either installing a Sata ssd or a PCIe ssd. If I install a Sata ssd Iíd have that plus the current 24GB PCIe ssd. I donít have any means to benchmark the fusion ssd and Iím under the impression that specs have varied over the years, so I donít know if itís significantly faster than a Sata ssd. Iím wondering if it would make sense to use the current PCIe ssd for system files and a Sata one for media files... though 24GB is probably too small for system files, unless itís possible under macOS to install apps to other locations. Another option would be to create a fusion drive from the two ssds... might this make any sense whatsoever, or is the fusion drive system really only appropriate for a ssd/hdd combination?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

Generally we do not recommend a Fusion drive when ordering an iMac, either the 21.5" or 27" model. Most folks opt for the Fusion drive since it's standard on the later model iMacs and is much less expensive than a pure PCIe
    SSD.

If you're a handy person, you can remove that Fusion drive combo and replace it with a PCIe SSD of the same size (1 TB). Not an easy task by any means but you might want to look over the procedure and see if you're up to it.

Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual and look up the procedure for your model.

As to creating a Fusion drive with 2 SSDs, I don't believe that's possible.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    As chscag says it is not possible to fuse 2 x SSDs, must be one and a platter drive.

With only a 32GB Blade Drive, better to ask first as this will noit hold a full operatring system and the iMac decides what goies on the blkade and what on the slow old platter.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 09-22-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks for your responses.
    Another possibility I see mentioned is to leave the hdd inside as a Time Machine backup drive. I'm curious, if this were the case, as to what percentage of the time the drive would be active and how much in sleep mode, since I dislike the noise of mechanical drives... plus the energy consumption isn't optimal.

Thread Information