Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Upgrading a Late 2014 Mac Mini. How much faster am I looking at here?

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
    So, today, taking my Mac Mini 2014 in to upgrade. I have the base Mac Mini 2014 (meaning SATA 500GB, 1.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM). I plan to upgrade to a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

My question is, I know it's faster, but how much faster? Like, in real terms, if folks can give me an idea. Just curious. I know the machine will be "better", but I'd love to get a feel for how much, in anticipation.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I don't believe the ram can be upgraded.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don't believe the ram can be upgraded.
    Interesting. The shop seemed to think it could when I messaged them. We shall see! I did tell them it was a Late 2014...

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    As member ferrarr mentioned...unfortunately RAM in Late 2014 Mac-Mini's is not upgradeable. 2014 Mac-Mini's need to be configured at the original time of purchase with as much RAM as it will ever have.

Late 2014 Mac-Mini's are the ONLY Mac-Mini model where the RAM is not upgradeable. Even newer 2018 Mac-Mini RAM can be upgraded.

Sorry,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    As for the SSD speeds, the biggest thing you will see is boot time and launch time for applications. Once running, the SSD will help when opening/closing files.

If the tech can upgrade the memory, that will help with apps when running as there will be more "headroom" for applications in memory, but even if he cannot do that, the SSD will help because the swap in/out to the SSD will be much quicker.

Overall, it should feel much more crisp in operation.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    As for the SSD speeds, the biggest thing you will see is boot time and launch time for applications. Once running, the SSD will help when opening/closing files.

If the tech can upgrade the memory, that will help with apps when running as there will be more "headroom" for applications in memory, but even if he cannot do that, the SSD will help because the swap in/out to the SSD will be much quicker.

Overall, it should feel much more crisp in operation.
    Yes, you are right! So, to report: I was able to get the SSD yesterday; they said they could do the 8GB upgrade, but it needed more days (though they were coy about how - maybe they would swap out the motherboard? Unhitch and solder it themselves? No one said, but the dudes in the back room said they could, no worries).

The mac is now MUCH faster. Used to take, for example, 45 seconds to a minute to start Microsoft Office; I timed it, and now it takes about 6 seconds. So, a different world.

If I ever get around to the changing the RAM I think I'll be in Heaven. As is, the Mac feels like it has a new life.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianStan View Post
    ...they said they could do the 8GB upgrade, but it needed more days (though they were coy about how - maybe they would swap out the motherboard? Unhitch and solder it themselves? No one said, but the dudes in the back room said they could, no worries).
    If they can do something like you mentioned...where they remove the old RAM (desolder)...and install some sort of new/more RAM (and solder it back in)...this falls into the category of "anything is possible"... if you can find the right person with the right skills and knowledge. AND...if cost is not a problem.

This sort of RAM upgrade is wayyyy past the skills of the average do-it-yourselfer!

If they end up doing this RAM upgrade...PLEASE let us know how it goes...and any info you can pass along in regards to how they did it. Also be super sure they don't do something "sneaky"...by swapping out the motherboard with something older.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If they can do something like you mentioned...where they remove the old RAM (desolder)...and install some sort of new/more RAM (and solder it back in)...this falls into the category of "anything is possible"... if you can find the right person with the right skills and knowledge. AND...if cost is not a problem.

This sort of RAM upgrade is wayyyy past the skills of the average do-it-yourselfer!

If they end up doing this RAM upgrade...PLEASE let us know how it goes...and any info you can pass along in regards to how they did it. Also be super sure they don't do something "sneaky"...by swapping out the motherboard with something older.

Thanks,

- Nick
    I will! If I ever do it. Right now, my Mac is so snappy, I'm not sure I will. As is, this sort of speed is what I was hoping (for the record, they put in a Samsung 860 SATA; I understand this isn't as fast as it could be if it were slotted into the PCIe but still...I find it blazing fast). I don't do any heavy duty anything, so I don't know if I'd need 8GB anyway (Word or Excel is about as heavy as it gets with this machine these days; I do my gaming on my Xbox).

Your Mac's Specs
    Right now, my Mac is so snappy, I'm not sure I will. As is, this sort of speed is what I was hoping (for the record, they put in a Samsung 860 SATA; I understand this isn't as fast as it could be if it were slotted into the PCIe but still...I find it blazing fast).
    It sounds like your speed issue was mostly with the original slow 500gig "spinner" HD (4gig of RAM is fine)...and with the install of the new SSD...all is good...congrats!

As member MacInWin explained above...SSD's don't REALLY make your computer faster...SSD's make your computer feel faster (by booting faster, faster opening of apps, faster opening of files, etc.). The REAL SPEED/processing power of a computer (the CPU and GPU benchmark scores) are basically the same before or after an SSD install.

Congrats again...sounds like the SSD install was a significant upgrade for your Mac-Mini!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    It sounds like your speed issue was mostly with the original slow 500gig "spinner" HD (4gig of RAM is fine)...and with the install of the new SSD...all is good...congrats!

As member MacInWin explained above...SSD's don't REALLY make your computer faster...SSD's make your computer feel faster (by booting faster, faster opening of apps, faster opening of files, etc.). The REAL SPEED/processing power of a computer (the CPU and GPU benchmark scores) are basically the same before or after an SSD install.

Congrats again...sounds like the SSD install was a significant upgrade for your Mac-Mini!

- Nick
    Oh, it is a significant upgrade. Quality of life and all that. Basically, the thing works much faster. The base CPU and RAM are fine for what I need, but the SSD gives quickness to the apps that I needed; opening Office apps was a chore, as I said earlier, which made me hesitate to use them sometimes. Startup time is also greatly reduced; it's about 70% shorter now, I think, though I didn't time it yet. Other apps are obviously opening more quickly as well, so, yeah, this thing is reinvigorated!

Oh, it is a significant upgrade. Quality of life and all that. Basically, the thing works much faster. The base CPU and RAM are fine for what I need, but the SSD gives quickness to the apps that I needed; opening Office apps was a chore, as I said earlier, which made me hesitate to use them sometimes. Startup time is also greatly reduced; it's about 70% shorter now, I think, though I didn't time it yet. Other apps are obviously opening more quickly as well, so, yeah, this thing is reinvigorated!
    Did you do any diagnostics on your old rotating disk hard drive before swapping it out? Was it always that slow? My bet would be that it used to be significantly faster. I suspect that your old hard drive was beginning to fail.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The 2014 Mac Mini pre-installed hard drive was a slow spinner (5400 RPM) but even at that like Randy stated, it may have had problems.

Let us know how you make out with getting the memory upgraded. We're interested in seeing how they go about it since the memory is soldered to the logic board.

The 2014 Mac Mini pre-installed hard drive was a slow spinner (5400 RPM)

You beat me as to mentioning the same thing Charlie.

Those 5400 RPM HDDs could be quite slow, even without obvious problems.

- Patrick
    ======

- Nick
    Well, it's all very well saying that but as most of the waiting time in computing is reading and writing to a hard disk then the real world difference is, as the OP says, astounding. I got four more years of life out of a 2011 MacBook Pro simply by doing this.

OK, your render time for Photoshop Gaussian blur isn't any better but loading the file in and out of disk, opening, swapping programmes. In the real world it makes a huge difference.

I'm only going on about this because if someone is reading: for 50-100 you can make your Mac seem like a new machine if you can't afford a new one (and who can these days?) then this upgrade is well recommended.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pink View Post
    Well, it's all very well saying that but as most of the waiting time in computing is reading and writing to a hard disk then the real world difference is, as the OP says, astounding. I got four more years of life out of a 2011 MacBook Pro simply by doing this.

OK, your render time for Photoshop Gaussian blur isn't any better but loading the file in and out of disk, opening, swapping programmes. In the real world it makes a huge difference.

I'm only going on about this because if someone is reading: for 50-100 you can make your Mac seem like a new machine if you can't afford a new one (and who can these days?) then this upgrade is well recommended.
    As said, it’s made a big difference for me. Breathed new life and all that. If they do manage something sneaky and give me 8GB later on (though now I plan to delay this) then the machine will be good for along while yet. Hell, maybe I don’t even need the other upgrade; it’s plenty fast now compared to what I had before in terms of start up times and such.

Thread Information