Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Upgrading a Late 2014 Mac Mini. How much faster am I looking at here?

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Did you do any diagnostics on your old rotating disk hard drive before swapping it out? Was it always that slow? My bet would be that it used to be significantly faster. I suspect that your old hard drive was beginning to fail.

Meant to answer this earlier. I didn’t do diagnostics, but it was slowish from the start. When I had El Capitan it wasn’t that big a deal, but I noticed from the last El Capitan through Mojave, that opening things like Word got slower and slower. As said, I timed it to 45-60 seconds of icon bouncing before it would open. Heaven help me if I mistakenly clicked something else to open at the same time.

P.S. - that slowness is one of the reasons I tend to use Mac native apps; they worked faster. I mean, once open, Office apps were snappy enough, but wait for them to open was a chore (and they sometimes failed to open, I’d get fed up and Force Quit the app, then start the process all over again).
    Last edited by HungarianStan; 09-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Just to confirm what has already been said: I have a MacMini late 2014, with 8Gb of RAM which was ticking along nicely but then I upped the hard drive to a 1Tb SSD - cheap upgrade (only about £100 here in the UK).

And the difference was (seemed?) blistering. Everything booted faster, very little spinning wheel or beechball watching. I didn't time operations before, but it is now as fast as I want it to be (no games, no complex Photoshop work, etc), and I won't be changing until OS upgrades force me to!

Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    As member MacInWin explained above...SSD's don't REALLY make your computer faster...SSD's make your computer feel faster (by booting faster, faster opening of apps, faster opening of files, etc.). The REAL SPEED/processing power of a computer (the CPU and GPU benchmark scores) are basically the same before or after an SSD install.
    Swapping out a 5400 rpm spinner for an SSD would also significantly speed up swapping between RAM and the drive should that be required because there is not enough RAM.
    That would make it less necessary to increase the RAM.

If they can do something like you mentioned...where they remove the old RAM (desolder)...and install some sort of new/more RAM (and solder it back in)...this falls into the category of "anything is possible"... if you can find the right person with the right skills and knowledge. AND...if cost is not a problem.

This sort of RAM upgrade is wayyyy past the skills of the average do-it-yourselfer!

If they end up doing this RAM upgrade...PLEASE let us know how it goes...and any info you can pass along in regards to how they did it.
    I saw a video a while back where someone was replacing a very high density surface mount chip it had pins on all four sides with a pin spacing of 0.5mm
    Was fascinating to watch
    They had some special tool that would heat all pins at once to desolder the chip which was quite fast, then they took a long time to clean any excess solder from every pad, it also too a while to position the replacement chip correctly which was done using tweezers.
    And then they used the same tool to solder that chip in one go.

With the right tool and skill set, that didn't seem to be overly complicated, but nothing for the do-it-yourselfer I'm sure that tool costs a pretty penny.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post

With the right tool and skill set, that didn't seem to be overly complicated, but nothing for the do-it-yourselfer I'm sure that tool costs a pretty penny.
    Sounds similar to brain surgery. With the right tools, skill set, and experience...not so overly complicated.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

...not so overly complicated.
    Nick
    Yes... piece of cake.
    Step-by-step to upgrade soldered RAM on a MacBook air - I assume the 2014 Mac Mini can be done in a similar manner.
    This guy didn't even need any special tools
    YouTube

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Yes... piece of cake.
    Step-by-step to upgrade soldered RAM on a MacBook air - I assume the 2014 Mac Mini can be done in a similar manner.
    YouTube
    I trust you were teasing.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Hmmm...??? I don't know that many Mac users who even have a decent set of tools to open the case let alone good small accurate tweezers or small high heat hot air gun and no doubt a good magnifying headset. Oh right, I forgot the very fine solder and flux and I'm not sure what the tool he was using was.

I also wonder what those small sticky label type things were that he was pulling off??? Or what were they even for???

Anyway, certainly not a job for the average Mac user I would say.

- Patrick
    ======

I trust you were teasing.

- Nick
    Just replying to your "wink, wink" with my "wink, wink"

But seriously, really no different than replacing a memory chip if it has failed - not as impossible as I first thought when the OP posted that this was a possibility with his Mini.
    I wonder if it really was technically impossible to have provided a connector for the RAM the way Apple did for the SSD or if the decision to solder the RAM directly to the board was more a Marketing decision to squeeze some more bucks out of the buyer.
    What also was not as obvious to me before is how little of the total real estate the actual computer requires - the biggest part is the battery.
    Although I sort of knew that, it was never that obvious as when the fellow disassembled the MBa.
    Last edited by krs; 09-22-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm...??? I don't know that many Mac users who even have a decent set of tools to open the case let alone good small accurate tweezers or small high heat hot air gun and no doubt a good magnifying headset. Oh right, I forgot the very fine solder and flux and I'm not sure what the tool he was using was.

I also wonder what those small sticky label type things were that he was pulling off??? Or what were they even for???

Anyway, certainly not a job for the average Mac user I would say.

- Patrick
    ======
    Patrick, I'm shocked!

You don't have any of these basic tools?
    Probably all available from ifixit or OWC.
    I had to go and buy a special screwdriver just to replace a battery on a MacBook

The tool I saw on the original video I referenced was the size about four times as big as each of the memory chips in the MacBook Air video, it desoldered and later soldered all the pins at once using temperature controlled air. With that approach, the tool I'm sure is quite expensive but the skill level to desolder and then resolder is much less.

One part I didn't understand in that video or even in various other RAM Upgrade discussions I've read, is how they also update the BIOS and whatever else is needed for the motherboard to communicate with the new larger RAM chips????

- Patrick
    ======

Patrick, I'm shocked!

Why oh why do so many misinterpret what I have actually said in so many of my posts. Re-read what I said, and do so carefully this time!!!

BTW: Apple HAS been using the soldered in method with a lot of their MacBook models since they started doing so in 2015-2016 with some SSDs.
    Mac 101: How to Upgrade a Computer with Soldered Components

- Patrick
    ======

Why oh why do so many misinterpret what I have actually said in so many of my posts. Re-read what I said, and do so carefully this time!!!
    My comment was tongue-in-cheek

But what did I misinterpret?
    If many misinterpret what you actually said...as you stated... maybe it's your Canadian accent???

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    One part I didn't understand in that video or even in various other RAM Upgrade discussions I've read, is how they also update the BIOS and whatever else is needed for the motherboard to communicate with the new larger RAM chips????

- Patrick
    ======
    I'm not a technician nor do I play one on TV but here's what I suspect is happening:

Numerous Mac models over the years have had specs which indicate they could take one amount of memory when they could, in fact, take more memory. Some Macs, such as the late 2008 MacBook Pro needed a rom update which was readily available from Apple. Other models may not have needed a similar update.

In both cases, an important factor seems to be that higher density memory chips with the same form factor became available after the machine in question was released. think Apple's official specs still list the lower ram amount, possibly because the higher memory configuration was never tested before the machine was released.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

But what did I misinterpret?
    My original comment:
    I don't know that many Mac users who even have a decent set of tools to open the case let alone good small accurate tweezers or small high heat hot air gun and no doubt a good magnifying headset. Oh right, I forgot the very fine solder and flux and I'm not sure what the tool he was using was.
    When you replied:
    Patrick, I'm shocked!

You don't have any of these basic tools?
    Probably all available from ifixit or OWC.
    Believe me, I have them all, and more, and have done so for many years. Even some custom made Mac tools.

BTW: This soldered in RAM chip replacement upgrade thing is basically theorithical as I couldn't even find any such solder mount RAM chips for sale at any of the memory sites I visited, unless they have them listed in some buried hidden listing area that I didn't see.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information