Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: Which iMac 27'

Which iMac 27'
    Hi All,

I am planning to get a 27" iMac very soon, and undecided between the entry level system and the high end system. The main difference is: (3.0 8-gen with 570x 4Gb) vs (3.7 9-gen with 580x 8Gb).

My usage is mainly complex Office documents, some photoshop and AI, zoom, multiple browsers.

The price difference between these 2 is quite substantial....

Also, will it make sense to upgrade to SSD(I have been using SSD for the last several years).... Because an upgrade to an SSD will bring the prices of these 2 systems much closer to each other.

Which iMac 27'
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by nnish78 View Post
    The price difference between these 2 is quite substantial....
    Basically what you're asking is...should you go with the entry level 27" iMac or the top end model.

As always...you will pay a premium for the top end model. The differences primarily are:

- Top end model CPU performance is about 10% faster (not that great).
    - Double the GPU memory (4gig vs. 8gig of video memory).
    - Top end model comes with 2x the internal storage (but still a fusion drive in both cases).

Also, will it make sense to upgrade to SSD(I have been using SSD for the last several years)....
    Yes most definitely...for 2 reasons:

1. You're already used to the speed of an SSD...if you got this new 27" iMac without an SSD...I think you might be less satisfied.
    2. Opening up one of these iMac's is really not an average user doable thing. Once configured at the time of purchase...Apple does not consider the internal storage to be upgradable by the end user.

Because an upgrade to an SSD will bring the prices of these 2 systems much closer to each other.
    Not exactly. Both of the base configurations of these two 27" iMac models come with a "fusion drive". Regardless of which of these two models you decide on...if you wish to configure it with an internal SSD...it will cost extra in both cases...which for the most part...will maintain the gap in price...not really bring them closer together substantially.

Given the usage info you've mentioned...I'm thinking you would be fine with the entry level 27" iMac. There is of course the mid-level model to consider...but there really isn't that much difference between the entry level & mid-range model. Better to use the money to upgrade the entry level model with an SSD...than to get the mid-range model.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Which iMac 27'
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Agreed with Nick. If you do not need the small speed increase of the top end 27" go with the cheaper one and just when ordering add in a SSD. Many are not happy with the Fusion drives that come stock.

Which iMac 27'
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'll add my plus to what Nick recommended. When I purchased my 2017 27" iMac several years ago I opted for a 512GB SSD instead of the Fusion drive. Even though at the time it was $300 extra it was well worth spending the extra dollars for the speed and reliability.

Thread Information