Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iMac memory

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Here I am again, 7.35 Ozzie time. I should have realised when I saw 2.45Gb on the backup drive that something was wrong. I knocked off the partitions and left it as one 4Tb drive, re formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journalled) set CCC going again and three hours later, it had loaded 240 something Gb's on. That's more like it I thought... oh no, not that simple. I shut it down and when I started it up again I held down the option key and it started on the original drive. I eventually realised that it's now looking for a wireless keyboard again I've turned off bluetooth and plugged in a usb mouse, no good. I'll leave it now until tomorrow as it usually sorts itself out for some reason overnight.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @usagora:

Just read through your thread again and wonder, did you ever contact OWC about the screen falling off after applying their supplied adhesive strips? And if so, what was their response?
    No. I didn't want replacements (wouldn't trust them). I'm pretty sure the weight of that screen was slowly pulling up the adhesive because it hadn't had time to set. I'll contact them now though since I'm thinking about it again and suggest they modify their instructions to allow the adhesive to set before using the computer.

EDIT: Just sent an email to OWC support - will let you know what they say
    Last edited by usagora; 07-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    Here I am again, 7.35 Ozzie time. I should have realised when I saw 2.45Gb on the backup drive that something was wrong. I knocked off the partitions and left it as one 4Tb drive, re formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journalled) set CCC going again and three hours later, it had loaded 240 something Gb's on. That's more like it I thought... oh no, not that simple. I shut it down and when I started it up again I held down the option key and it started on the original drive. I eventually realised that it's now looking for a wireless keyboard again I've turned off bluetooth and plugged in a usb mouse, no good. I'll leave it now until tomorrow as it usually sorts itself out for some reason overnight.
    Sorry to hear that you are having issues. I've had similar ones once in a while, though not very often, when booting from a clone.

Here are a couple of things that might be worth checking out / thinking about:
    1. The timing on when to hold down the Option key can be a bit twitchy. If you hold the Option key down while the chime is happening that seems to not work reliably.

2. Some wireless keyboards seem to not work reliably to get to the boot loading screen. In that case, using a wired USB keyboard seems to work. If you don't have one try plugging the USB keyboard into its charging cable and plugging that into a USB port (assuming that's what it uses to charge). This works with the Apple wireless keyboard, and perhaps others, though it may be best to turn Bluetooth off on the keyboard (if possible).

3. It's possible that clone did not finish properly for one reason or another. I'll have to do some checking to see what might cause the clone to take up more space than the original. Perhaps it is due to the SafetyNet feature.

I assume that when you created the partition on the backup drive it was formatted as HFS+ extended with the GUID partition type.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    1. I've been holding the option key down as soon as I press the power button, but it only comes up with an icon of the mac hard drive, no backup drive.

2. I don't have a wireless keyboard. I use an apple usb one.

3. I formatted it 'Mac OS extended (journaled). I didn't actually get a choice with the partition type, but when I checked it it was GUID.

This was last night here and I haven't looked at it yet, but I will shortly and hopefully the wired keyboard will now work. I don't have a clue why this happens, but it often does after being left overnight. I'll definitely be back, hopefully to say it's all worked out.
    Ps: I've tried turning off the wireless keyboard, even turning off BT altogether. The wireless keyboard doesn't even appear in the system Pref's.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    As I thought the wired keyboard is now working again but I'm still only getting the mac icon... no external drive which I've renamed disc 1.
    Here's a screen shot of the Disk Utility. I can't see anything wrong, but then, that's me.
    Screenshot 2019-07-13 at 10.28.35 am.jpg
    And the info for the mac HD.
    Screenshot 2019-07-13 at 10.41.24 am.jpg
    Info for the WD external.
    Screenshot 2019-07-13 at 10.49.19 am.jpg
    Anything wrong?
    Last edited by hoody; 07-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Pete:

Make sure... from the Finder, Preferences, that you have placed a check in the box that says "External Disks".

Otherwise, I see no reason why your external 4TB drive isn't showing up on your desktop. You have tried another USB cable, right?

Also, you displayed the info from your Macintosh HD and everything there looks okay.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    I went to pref's > startup disc and checked that the the WD drive was there. I restarted with that drive selected and it just sat doing nothing for 6min's. All I had was an icon like a lightning bolt going round the screen screen saver style. I have changed the cable for a known good one but no difference. If I start with option key pressed it still goes to the mac hard drive and no sign of the WD. Since this morning I've removed the partitions on the WD > reformatted it (I never see a choice for GUID) to Mac OS (journaled), copied on to the WD with CCC... no good. Done it all over again (still no choice for GUID) this time partitioning the drive with 2x2TB partitions and once again copied the drive with CCC.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    I hope you're all OK over there with the weather and power cuts etc. As for me, I'm still getting nowhere although I've found out that it could be a problem with missing software, either from the computer or the drive. I've tried swapping to other usb sockets with no luck, so here's yet another screen shot, this time of system info:
    System Info..jpg
    Anything wrong there?
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Pete:

I don't see an operating system on that WD Passport drive. Apparently, it does have an EFI boot partition and a Recovery partition but no macOS. There is no way you can boot with that drive, but regardless it should show up on your desktop.

If you have selected to show external drives on your desktop (see my reply #51) it should appear.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    While you were sleeping I tried disc repair for the third time. After this I shut it down and restarted with the option key held down and there it was. I booted it up from it to make sure. I've fitted the the new SSD and 16GB of ram, glued the screen back on and nothing, zilch, not a bloody thing. I followed the guide from MacSales.com to the letter, but it's as dead as a dodo. Any ideas on that? To say I'm a bit miffed would be a proper understatement.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    While you were sleeping I tried disc repair for the third time. After this I shut it down and restarted with the option key held down and there it was. I booted it up from it to make sure. I've fitted the the new SSD and 16GB of ram, glued the screen back on and nothing, zilch, not a bloody thing. I followed the guide from MacSales.com to the letter, but it's as dead as a dodo. Any ideas on that? To say I'm a bit miffed would be a proper understatement.
    Sounds a bit like...
    RAM not bedded in seats properly.
    Screen not connected properly or
    A cable left off somewhere.

Am I right in thinking you booted from the SSD when it was external,

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for the reply. I don't mind taking it apart again, but wish I'd tested it before I glued it back together, so now I have to get more strips. It think it must be something like the ram not in properly because it's totally dead. I had the external drive connected and no light came up on that either. I'll probably open it up again tomorrow and try to find the problem. I booted from the external drive but that's not an SSD.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    I've removed the drive and also found that I didn't put the tiny plug in to the power board properly, started up perfectly after that. I've bought a SSD to USB3 cable and have it plugged in to a USB port and the computer is much faster, but I want to clear something up. First, how do I get the computer to see the new drive if I fit it? For some reason it's not recognised if I physically fit it.
    Second, I'll put a screen shot up because I checked in 'disc utility' where it says it's not an SSD. I'm pretty sure that Macfixit here in Oz wouldn't catch me but I'd like someone to look at the screenshot and tell me what they think.
    As I was saying before, is everyone OK after the storms etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That is looking at the partition, not the drive. BTW, that does NOT say it's not an SSD anywhere, it just says the media is "Generic," which is exactly what I get when I look at the Apple SSD in my MBP that way.

You can see more about the physical drive with About This Mac, System Report, Storage and select each drive in turn.
    Jake

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Jake.
    It's there all right. I checked as you said and it's now in the computer and it's flying. What I did was went to CCC and did a clone. When it was finished it asked me if I wanted to make (can't remember the term) it able to be seen by the computer. I did this and it just works brilliantly. In fact, it's better than new, it's flying. Thanks for all the help and advice I've had, not only for this giant leap for Peter kind, but other things too.
    Pete.

Thread Information