Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iMac memory

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    The hard drive arrived today, now I'll wait for the ram, probably next week now. Anyway I now need even more help. I recently bought a 4Tb WD external hard drive and made 3 partitions. One of these was for Time Machine back ups, one for photos, probably don't need that now that I've signed up for google photos and one for the CCC bootable back up. First off I want to make sure I've done the bootable back up properly. Second I've read that you need to download the latest (or at least the one you're using) OS onto a usb stick, is this correct even though the CCC has done it's job? Third, can I be led through the procedure from start to finish so that I don't make a mess of it. I'd really appreciate it if someone can do this.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    Anyway I now need even more help. I recently bought a 4Tb WD external hard drive and made 3 partitions. One of these was for Time Machine back ups, one for photos, probably don't need that now that I've signed up for google photos and one for the CCC bootable back up.
    If this is a different subject from the iMac RAM discussion...might be better to start a new thread...otherwise things could get confusing.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    No it's the same thing, just that I'm putting more ram in when I'm fitting the SSD. Confusing, me...
    I will if you think it'd be better but I'm happy with the fitting side of things, it's just that I want to make sure I get the back up right so as not to make a mess of it.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    The hard drive arrived today, now I'll wait for the ram, probably next week now. Anyway I now need even more help. I recently bought a 4Tb WD external hard drive and made 3 partitions. One of these was for Time Machine back ups, one for photos, probably don't need that now that I've signed up for google photos and one for the CCC bootable back up. First off I want to make sure I've done the bootable back up properly. Second I've read that you need to download the latest (or at least the one you're using) OS onto a usb stick, is this correct even though the CCC has done it's job? Third, can I be led through the procedure from start to finish so that I don't make a mess of it. I'd really appreciate it if someone can do this.
    1. There are some basic directions on the Carbon Copy Cloner site here. Personally, I think the best way to test whether the clone finished properly is to try booting from the clone. Hold down the Option key while the Mac is booting. You should be presented with a screen showing any drives your Mac can boot from. Select your external drive and hit enter to try and boot from it.

2. If you are sure the clone is working there is less need for making an OS installer. I personally like to keep one on hand for emergencies and situations where I might want a completely clean install.

3. I think the directions linked to above will get you started. If not post back and I'll try to answer any questions.

BTW I noticed that you partitioned the backup drive with a thought toward putting the Time Machine backup and bootable CCC clone on the same drive. I used to do something similar a few years ago and stopped doing so: Someone pointed out to me that if the Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner backups were on the same drive a drive failure could ruin both backups.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Just found your post. Thanks for that. It turns out the memory gets here tomorrow according to Australia Post. I'll try booting from the external drive and I'll make a copy of the OS on a usb just in case. I'll also get another external drive next time I have the money. Hadn't thought of the drive losing both backups.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Hadn't thought of the drive losing both backups.
    You're welcome. Hope that helped a bit.

I hadn't thought of losing both backups either till it was pointed out to me. If the directory structure on one partition gets messed up that can often, but not always be corrected. A physical failure of the drive however usually ended in the loss of both backups.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Just use extra caution when reattaching the iMac screen (read my near horror-story here: My iMac Screen Fell Off!). I suggest getting a lot of little A-clamps like I mentioned later in that thread and clamping the edges of the screen overnight and maybe even put some strong clear tape around the screen edges for a few weeks just as an extra precaution.
    Last edited by usagora; 07-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @usagora:

Just read through your thread again and wonder, did you ever contact OWC about the screen falling off after applying their supplied adhesive strips? And if so, what was their response?

iMac memory
    It seems like a user who bought some replacement strips from iFixit via Amazon was not a very happy camper either...

Ok, bought 3 from their online store, the strips get stuck well and are good, but i took 3 stars because when you try to remove these it is another story, bad ugly story, ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Stri...ustomerReviews

- Patrick
    ======

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'll bet that the strips supplied by OWC are likewise not as good as the original from Apple. The older magnetic method of attaching the screen was much better, however, the screen was thicker and had a glass cover over it. I had a 2011 21.5" iMac that needed a new hard drive under warranty. Apple replaced the drive for free and you could not even tell that the screen had been removed and put back on.

iMac memory
    I had a 2011 21.5" iMac that needed a new hard drive under warranty. Apple replaced the drive for free and you could not even tell that the screen had been removed and put back on.

I guess you were lucky that your hard drive went kaput while it was on warranty, I was not so lucky with my 2007 24" iMac and did the hard drive replacement myself, (WD Black 7200 1GB), several years ago now, and a very good, clean display.

Luckily, my mid-2011 27" also escaped the later iMac's sticky tape sealing method so the glass removal process will be fairly familiar to me for when I replaceI its hard drive and probably add a second drive in behind the optical drive which one can do with this mid-2011 model.

A bit more extra work but it might be worth it, but I'm not sure if both drives will be SSDs or not. Anyway, it will be a relief not to have to deal with stupid tape Apple started using with the later iMac models.

- Patrick
    ======

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    usagora, thanks for the warning. I'll leave it lying down with clamps and strong tape around the edges. If that happened to mine it would be the end altogether, I really can't afford that sort of money. Also before I refit the screen I'll give the surfaces a good clean with alcohol... might even have some myself for a bit of courage.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Slydude, time to start saving up again, either that or hit zip pay.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    1. There are some basic directions on the Carbon Copy Cloner site here. Personally, I think the best way to test whether the clone finished properly is to try booting from the clone. Hold down the Option key while the Mac is booting. You should be presented with a screen showing any drives your Mac can boot from. Select your external drive and hit enter to try and boot from it.

2. If you are sure the clone is working there is less need for making an OS installer. I personally like to keep one on hand for emergencies and situations where I might want a completely clean install.

3. I think the directions linked to above will get you started. If not post back and I'll try to answer any questions.

BTW I noticed that you partitioned the backup drive with a thought toward putting the Time Machine backup and bootable CCC clone on the same drive. I used to do something similar a few years ago and stopped doing so: Someone pointed out to me that if the Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner backups were on the same drive a drive failure could ruin both backups.
    I did that and it worked but the only drive that came up was the mac HD. The WD drive has been working through the usb and I'm now doing a new back up to that. I don't think I could have done anything wrong because that's so simple. I even watched a video of someone doing it and it was exactly the same. I'll try again when it's finished and get back.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Right, I've about had enough of this! I've been at it since my last post, 9.35am Ozzie time it's now 3.10pm and I've got nowhere. I thought that I might have done something wrong with CCC so I did it again. I also went to the app store and got the Mojave OS downloaded, but it went where, I don't know. It certainly didn't go to the usb3 drive that I'd formatted correctly.
    But back to the original problem. I've re done the CCC on to the WD backup and according to 'info' it's there, 2.45Gb it says but when I restart holing down the option key, the only choice I get is to boot with the mac hard drive... no sign of any other. I've now got both the new SSD and the 16Gb of ram, but I'm not game to remove the old drive in case I don't get to put the backup on. I have my haircut number 1 but I'm still about to start pulling it out. Please give me some more ideas if you can.
    Pete.

Thread Information