Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iMac memory

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    For many years now...we've heard from our Australia Mac-Forums members that RAM in Australia is super expensive. I think even with Australia's "GST" and shipping costs...I think RAM is still less expensive from the United States.

- Nick
    I'm now hoping that the new hard drive will fix it. Just waiting for some comments on what people think of the drive I put up in post 10. I might still keep looking for the same thing in the States though.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    I've sent off for a SSD 1Tb drive from Macfixit in Australia. It's a Micron 2.5" 1.0TB Micron 5100 Pro Series 2.5-inch 7mm SATA 6.0Gb/s 3D NAND Flash Ultra-High Performance ... I'm now wondering if it might be worth upgrading the ram to 16Gb while I'm at it. I'm thinking about this because of the work involved in getting at things. It comes to A$150.00 and it's OWC. What do you more knowledgable people think.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Given the results you got while running Activity Monitor I don't know that you would see much of a difference going from 8 GB to 16 GB. I didn't with my iMac but I got one heck of a deal on the memory. Having said that, I can see wh you are thinking of upgrading the memory and hard drive at the same time given the amount of work involved.

FWIW I think what this boils down to is how long do you typically keep your machines before you outgrow them? I tend to do these kinds of upgrades, as the budget permits, because I tend to keep my machines for quite a while. I've still got a 2008 MacBook Pro around as a backup machine. It was my primary one till about three years ago.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iMac memory
    What do you more knowledgable people think.

I wouldn't say that I am "more knowledgable", but I would agree as to what Slydude has mentioned and especially about Activity Monitor.

But also be aware that the later Mac OS versions have been able to utilize memory a lot better and more efficiently than the older OSs did years ago, and as Sly noticed, it didn't make a huge difference with the Mac he was using.

And as you are installing an SSD, any memory swaps you might end up with are going to be so fast you probably wouldn't even notice any stall. Don't forget, those SSD chips are very similar to the chips they use on memory modules, but different.

Actually I dodn't even know which 2013 21.5" iMac model you have and if its RAM is even replaceable???

You can check the different models including your here:
    Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Tech Specs): EveryMac.com

PS: They also suggest various good suppliers (sponsors) depending on where you live.

- Patrick
    ======

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Actually I dodn't even know which 2013 21.5" iMac model you have and if its RAM is even replaceable???
    It's replaceable but the machine has to be disassembled in order to do it. Notice what Pete stated in a previous reply about purchasing the kit to open the machine and replacing the memory.

iMac memory
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It's replaceable but the machine has to be disassembled in order to do it. Notice what Pete stated in a previous reply about purchasing the kit to open the machine and replacing the memory.

Thanks Charlie, I just wasn't completely sure if ALL the 21.5" iMac models were all semi-sealed to discourage most users Ram access or not.

- Patrick
    ======

iMac memory

Thanks Charlie, I just wasn't completely sure if ALL the 21.5" iMac models were all semi-sealed to discourage most users Ram access or not.

Hmmm.. it seems that something was a bit goofy at the server end for a while there...

- Patrick
    ======
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-09-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: replace some missing text

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    I'm not sure about the 2019 model 21.5" iMacs, but model years 2012 to 2017 all had to be disassembled and the logic board removed in order to gain access to the memory slots. A real PITA to do. I don't know why Apple did not design those chassis the same as the 27" models which all had access doors to the memory modules.

Also, why in the world did Apple seal up the iMac Pro so that memory could only be installed by Apple? Supposedly it was because of the addition of the T2 ARM chip which further complicates doing anything to the machine. I'm not certain whether the 2019 models also have the T2?

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Slydude, Overnight I've decided that foe A$150.00 I might as well go ahead and upgrade the ram. How long do I keep the things? Until they or I die.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, You more likely know a fair bit more than me about these things. Anyway it's a 13.1 model to be exact, Late 2012 early 13 and the ram is replaceable with two 8Gb's.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    Hey Pete:

You sound like me with my 1998 Mustang. My wife wants to know when I'm going to buy a new car, I tell her when the Mustang dies. (Or, if I die first, she can trade it in.)

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    chscag, Exactly my thinking. As I said before: Physical things I'm good with, but when I start reading things like the description I posted before, my eyes glaze over, my mind turns off and I haven't absorbed any of it. Give me auto or manual transmissions, petrol or diesel engines etc and I fly through them... well I used to anyway. Talk about computer details, and it's like before with the glazed eyes.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey Pete:

You sound like me with my 1998 Mustang. My wife wants to know when I'm going to buy a new car, I tell her when the Mustang dies. (Or, if I die first, she can trade it in.)
    Think yerself lucky. My wife keeps on about trading me in.
    Pete.

iMac memory

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks to all for all the help so far, but be warned we ain't finished yet. I'll be asking for answers on exactly how to use the external hard drive with CCC to do the technical side of the job.
    Pete.

iMac memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    How long do I keep the things? Until they or I die.
    Windows users don't have to ask this question...since many Windows computers fall apart from bad build quality before the usefulness/lifespan of the computer is reached!

With Apple computers being built so well...they physically last for a long long time. As how long do we keep these things...usually until you can no longer upgrade to a macOS version you really need or want to run...or until you can no longer run the apps you want or need to run.

Even at that point...many users don't want or need to run the latest macOS or latest version of a specific app...which extends the computers useful life even longer.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information