Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: iMac dust.

iMac dust.

Your Mac's Specs
    21inch iMac 2017 high Sierra. MacBook Pro 13. iPhone 5c& an 8
    iMac dust.
    After sitting on my desk for 18 months I decided yesterday it was time for a good dust down etc to my 21inch iMac. It runs almost continually and is only switched off when we are off the premises, days out etc. I laid a cloth on the table and put the iMac face down on it; well I say 'laid' it down - my fingers failed to grip it all the way down and it banged down the last few inches. What I saw next really surprised me, out of the slots at the base of the display came one inch long pieces of debris and the full width of each slot! How the thing managed to keep cool I simply do not know. Any way out came the trusty vacuum cleaner an on 'soft' suck I treated each slot to a good minute of sucking. Eighteen months of dust takes a bit of cleaning up I can tell you and in my own mind I had never given that sort of cleaning a thought; very pleased that I did and will ensure more regular cleaning is taken from here on in.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

iMac dust.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    It is amazing how much dust accumulates inside electronic devices. Not just computers, but cable modems, set top boxes, amplifiers, etc. Regular cleaning is a good practice.
    Jake

iMac dust.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The problem with regularly cleaning electronic equipment is that most devices can not easily be disassembled to do a proper cleaning. Our home like all the homes here in Texas has a central air conditioner. We change the filter often and each time I remove the old filter I'm amazed at how much dust and dirt is embedded in it. However, there is no way that I would attempt to take my 2017 iMac apart to clean the inside of it. Even though I'm a fairly capable electronic tech, there's always a chance that I would do more damage than good.

iMac dust.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    It is amazing how much dust accumulates inside electronic devices. Not just computers, but cable modems, set top boxes, amplifiers, etc. Regular cleaning is a good practice.
    Have to agree. I lived in west Texas for a few years in a dusty environment. You'd be amazed at the amount of dust, and other debris, that can accumulate in some devices.

Many devices make it exceptionally difficult to clean them. Set top boxes and amplifiesrs come to mind. Sometimes a thorough cleaning requires opening the device and cleaning inside but many people are not comfortable doing that.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iMac dust.
    Many devices make it exceptionally difficult to clean them.

Wouldn't it be a dream if the Apple designers would at least provide access doors/panels of the back of the iMacs and maybe through the bottom of the laptops so as to be able to at least clean the fans and surrounding areas.

But one never knows with some new Designer blood possibly coming online. Heck, even BMWs and Bentleys have good working hoods that open to access the engine compartment for whatever reasons.

- Patrick
    ======

iMac dust.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    But not Rolls-Royce. Read one time that a customer called the RR dealership to ask how to open the bonnet (hood). He was asked why he wanted to do that and responded that he just wanted to see the engine. They told him to come into the dealership and they would open the bonnet for him to look, but would not show him how to do that himself as they never wanted a Rolls to be on the side of the road with the bonnet open. So, no opener for the owner. It apparently takes/took special tools. Kinda like the MBP.
    Jake

iMac dust.
    they never wanted a Rolls to be on the side of the road with the bonnet open. So, no opener for the owner. It apparently takes/took special tools. Kinda like the MBP.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-07-2019 at 01:53 PM.

iMac dust.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    After sitting on my desk for 18 months I decided yesterday it was time for a good dust down etc to my 21inch iMac. It runs almost continually and is only switched off when we are off the premises, days out etc. I laid a cloth on the table and put the iMac face down on it; well I say 'laid' it down - my fingers failed to grip it all the way down and it banged down the last few inches. What I saw next really surprised me, out of the slots at the base of the display came one inch long pieces of debris and the full width of each slot! How the thing managed to keep cool I simply do not know. Any way out came the trusty vacuum cleaner an on 'soft' suck I treated each slot to a good minute of sucking. Eighteen months of dust takes a bit of cleaning up I can tell you and in my own mind I had never given that sort of cleaning a thought; very pleased that I did and will ensure more regular cleaning is taken from here on in.
    Excellent job! I'm absolutely sure the cooling efficiency is much much better...and your iMac is running cooler!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information