Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Bootable external drive for iMac...
    Hey, all. My late-2012 iMac with 30,000 hours on it is showing its age. I've replaced it with a 2019 4K iMac, but it was suggested to me that the hard drive is probably the reason why things often run as slow...as...molasses. And that I should use an external SSD drive as a bootable one, therefore speeding things back up.

So I'm trying to grasp everything here. When I have the SSD as a bootable drive, it becomes my (much faster) 'engine', while the original 1Tb hard drive essentially becomes a storage unit. Do I have that right?

And, do I have to use an SSD, or could I use a flash-drive/thumb-drive and get the same results?

Thanking you in advance,

s/

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by schmadrian View Post
    Hey, all. My late-2012 iMac with 30,000 hours on it is showing its age. I've replaced it with a 2019 4K iMac, but it was suggested to me that the hard drive is probably the reason why things often run as slow...as...molasses. And that I should use an external SSD drive as a bootable one, therefore speeding things back up.

So I'm trying to grasp everything here. When I have the SSD as a bootable drive, it becomes my (much faster) 'engine', while the original 1Tb hard drive essentially becomes a storage unit. Do I have that right?

And, do I have to use an SSD, or could I use a flash-drive/thumb-drive and get the same results?

Thanking you in advance,

s/
    A flash drive will be even slower.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Thanks. I've purchased a 500Gb SSD, so I can expect much faster performance than I'm currently getting from my internal HD, yes?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Thanks. I've purchased a 500Gb SSD, so I can expect much faster performance than I'm currently getting from my internal HD, yes?
    Well, you may have an issue with the cable connecting the SSD to the Mac.
    If itís an ordinary V2.0 USB it will be a lot slower. V3.0 not too bad.
    Much better internal. Then Very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I've replaced it with a 2019 4K iMac, but it was suggested to me that the hard drive is probably the reason why things often run as slow...as...molasses. And that I should use an external SSD drive as a bootable one, therefore speeding things back up.
    I hate to be a "Monday Morning Quarterback" (if you know what I mean)...but it really would have been great if you had configured your iMac with an internal SSD at time of purchase. Or even better...posting a question here on Mac-Forums before purchasing...and we could have helped.

Yes I know configuring your iMac with an internal SSD at the time of purchase would have been extra money...and you wouldn't have had as much internal storage. But since you're talking about external storage devices now...the better setup would have been an internal SSD & external "spinner" HD...rather than an internal "spinner" HD & external SSD. The reason for this is...the data transfer rate internally is much faster than the data transfer rate of the ports for external devices.

And as you may know...replacing the internal hard drive with an internal SSD is very difficult...since Apple makes almost all computers it sells very difficult for users to upgrade.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Why not just leave the new iMac running 24/7 and let it go to sleep when not in use?

I do that with my 2012 Mac Mini - never have a slow boot even with a slow spinner hard drive simply because I almost never boot it up.
    I also added 16 GB of RAM which in retrospect was maybe overkill, but it also allows me to keep the applications I use active all the time - no delay to wait for those to launch.

Keeping the iMac running is easier on some of the electronic components as well and power drawn in sleep mode is only 1.5 watts according to Apple which adds about a cent per week if sleeping for 8 hours per day.

This btw doesn't apply to MacBooks of any type because of the battery.

Thread Information