Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Mini Upgrade

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    I’d agree. It’s a good deal, and OWC have excellent support. And products.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Perfect! My external drive is arriving today and once I get that handled I will decide which OWC to buy. Thank you again for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Considering your novice level and their Mac experience and help, I'd be inclined to suggest OWC and choose which model you prefer, good or better, the latter has a better 5 year warantee I believe.

OWC Solid State Drives For Mac mini (2012)

HDD to SSD Upgrade Kit

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

I have always been satisfied with their products and support.

Be aware that Crucial produces and sells some cheap SSDs with minimal warranty and I bought one for my old 2007 MBPro some years ago as it was not going to be used as a critical drive and was also on super sale and also supported the old slow bus speed of 1.5GB/s that wouldn't concern you or your mini.

So, for you and your Mac mini, I'd suggest OWC: OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

- Patrick
    ======
    I concur. Thank you, Patrick!
    "Treat people as you would like to be treated."

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Mini Upgrade
    Thanks rachalmers.
    And all support is good and nice to have, both from us agreeing advisors types and sellers!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Hey there!

My SSD arrive today and I've been trying to get it going but CCC said it was not compatible, but that I could use disk utility to fix it. I thought I did it, but still seem to be having some issues. Can I fix this or do I need to find a different external drive? Any help is appreciated.

Weird...it seems to be working now. How will I know it go everything referenced in the pic above that it said it couldn't copy?

Mini Upgrade
    Can I fix this or do I need to find a different external drive? Any help is appreciated.

First of, and just to confirm, what version of macOS is your current boot drive using?

Next, what does Disk Utility.app say about the new external hard drive when it's connected?

- Patrick
    ======

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mini Upgrade
    First of, and just to confirm, what version of macOS is your current boot drive using?

Next, what does Disk Utility.app say about the new external hard drive when it's connected?

- Patrick
    ======
    Using the latest version of Mojave. The disk utility recognized it after I erased it and did the reformat. It's possible that warning message above popped up before I gave CCC full permissions to clone. Computer was moving at a snails pace when I was getting it going.

Mini Upgrade
    Well, it looks like CCC has been doing its thing for the last 1 1/2 hours and got 120+GB copied when the screen shot was taken.

The first clone always takes longer than later incremental backups.

- Patrick
    ======

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mini Upgrade
    Well, it looks like CCC has been doing its thing for the last 1 1/2 hours and got 120+GB copied when the screen shot was taken.

The first clone always takes longer than later incremental backups.

- Patrick
    ======
    Slow and steady! Hope it's done by the morning Mini UpgradeMini Upgrade

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    When I woke up this morning, it had completed everything but the stuff I needed to grant access to. I followed the steps after access was granted it said to restart CCC and it will only clone the items that weren't copied last time.

So! Once this is done, what is my next step? How do I make sure the mini can boot off the external drive SSD? Then I assume I will use disk utility to erase the HDD?

Again...I really appreciate all the help.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry_bomb View Post
    When I woke up this morning, it had completed everything but the stuff I needed to grant access to. I followed the steps after access was granted it said to restart CCC and it will only clone the items that weren't copied last time.

So! Once this is done, what is my next step? How do I make sure the mini can boot off the external drive SSD? Then I assume I will use disk utility to erase the HDD?

Again...I really appreciate all the help.

Good job there.
    So, from now on, CCC will only copy files to the destination that are new, or newer than those on the target drive. This will usually only take minutes, unless you have installed something really big.
    To ensure you can boot from the new drive, you set your boot drive in Settings to be the new drive. Temporarily. You donít want your boot drive to be a usb connected drive.

IMPORTANT
    Once you know it boots ok, reset the boot drive back to the mini internal drive in Settings and shutdown and put the new drive into your mini, taking out the old one.

You change your startup disk by following these instructions.
    How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

This is the uk site, so it may direct you to what ever country you are in.

WHEN YOU REBOOT ITWILL START UP ON YOUR NEW DRIVE. you may get warnings and so on, but be patient. Let it do its thing.

Once running off your newly installed drive, do what you like with the old drive. Put it on the usb and erase it, use it for time machine whatever.

DONíT leave your mini running on the new drive attached to the usb. Put it into the mini case.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Good job there.
    So, from now on, CCC will only copy files to the destination that are new, or newer than those on the target drive. This will usually only take minutes, unless you have installed something really big.
    To ensure you can boot from the new drive, you set your boot drive in Settings to be the new drive. Temporarily. You don’t want your boot drive to be a usb connected drive.

IMPORTANT
    Once you know it boots ok, reset the boot drive back to the mini internal drive in Settings and shutdown and put the new drive into your mini, taking out the old one.

WHEN YOU REBOOT ITWILL START UP ON YOUR NEW DRIVE. you may get warnings and so on, but be patient. Let it do its thing.

Once running off your newly installed drive, do what you like with the old drive. Put it on the usb and erase it, use it for time machine whatever.

DON’T leave your mini running on the new drive attached to the usb. Put it into the mini case.

Hey there! Thank you for all the tips!

Right now my cloned copy is an external SSD. What Patrick had suggested is that I clone my boot drive to the external SSD, make it my boot drive, then wipe out my existing HD and then clone from the SSD back to the HD (that is if I am understanding him correctly). I still plan to install a larger internal SSD, and I guess the thought behind me doing it this way is to see if my current HD needs to be replaced as well because its failing?

Can I still follow your instructions above and boot from the external SSD to make sure it works? Then I would move on and clear out the old HD?

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Good job there.
    To ensure you can boot from the new drive, you set your boot drive in Settings to be the new drive. Temporarily. You donít want your boot drive to be a usb connected drive.

IMPORTANT

DONíT leave your mini running on the new drive attached to the usb. Put it into the mini case.

I'm in the start up disk and I don't see my new external drive. Mini Upgrade

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Hey there! Thank you for all the tips!

Right now my cloned copy is an external SSD. What Patrick had suggested is that I clone my boot drive to the external SSD, make it my boot drive, then wipe out my existing HD and then clone from the SSD back to the HD (that is if I am understanding him correctly). I still plan to install a larger internal SSD, and I guess the thought behind me doing it this way is to see if my current HD needs to be replaced as well because its failing?

Can I still follow your instructions above and boot from the external SSD to make sure it works? Then I would move on and clear out the old HD?
    One question really. Why would you Clone back to your HD if you suspect itís failing?
    And you get no speed gain!

If you make your SSD the main drive, in your mini, your speed gain will be incredible. Boot speed while on the usb cable will be pathetic.

Your HD _will_ fail, just swap it out once you know your SSD boots.
    Use it as a book rest, or to prop up your desk.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mini Upgrade
    One question really. Why would you Clone back to your HD if you suspect itís failing?

If you make your SSD the main drive, in your mini, your speed gain will be incredible. Boot speed while on the usb cable will be pathetic.

I was just following Patrick's instructions above...unless like I said I misunderstood. If I understand what you're saying, I didn't need to clone it onto an external SSD?

I still need to purchase an internal SSD, the one I did the clone on was an external.

Added note- so far the start up disk is not showing the external drive as a boot option, although the clone was successful.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    I was just following Patrick's instructions above...unless like I said I misunderstood. If I understand what you're saying, I didn't need to clone it onto an external SSD?

I still need to purchase an internal SSD, the one I did the clone on was an external.

Added note- so far the start up disk is not showing the external drive as a boot option, although the clone was successful.
    Ah, I see. I didnít realise that you were actually using an external SSD.
    In which case I canít see the point of cloning to it. Unless you just want it as a backup against the day that the internal hdd fails. Which is fine. Itís a good way of keeping a backup. I do that, the cloning is scheduled to run once a week.

So no. You donít need to clone it back to the internal hd. Waste of time.
    So one day when you purchase your internal SSD, with the usb interface I recommended, just do the same process again with it, and then put it into your mini. Then use the old hdd for whatever you like.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs

Would it be better to have one internal 1TB SSD as the boot and another internal 1 TB SSD for everything else? Or does it not make a difference in speed if I used just one 2TB drive? If I am going up add a second drive I'm thinking I should be doing it all at once so I don't have to take it apart twice?

Mini Upgrade
    One question really. Why would you Clone back to your HD if you suspect it’s failing?

I suggested that step previously for several reasons, some may not be needed:
    - create a new directory of all data and the OS that often ends up being much faster that the original drive was.
    - you can use the cloned drive as a backup obviously. A single backup is the minimum.
    - CCC will often flag either file or directory errors or errors with either drive being used. ie: either one could be failing or failed for that matter so it can act as a warning flag.

It sounds like things are progressing well but we have various family members coming for lunch tp celebrate some of my children's recent birthdays and our Fathers Day celebration all in one. So computer time will have to be cancelled.

BTW: HAPPY FATHERS DAY to ALL fathers!!!

EDIT:
    BTW: Using an external SSD ONLY for backups is overkill and a waste of resources IMHO, but I don't think that was anyone's intention unless I misread some comments.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 06-16-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information