Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Mini Upgrade

Mini Upgrade
    You don’t need fan control. The Mac one is all you need, it’s built in.

I dare say a good many Mac users would disagree and for multiple reasons and I include myself as a long time user and with similar apps with all our Macs for years.

No electronics like excessive heat, at least don't normally last excessively long times under such conditions.

I definitely would suggest using Macs Fan Control. And no, I have no affiliation with the developer.

- Patrick
    ======

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I would say a good many Mac users would disagree with Patrick, too. I don't use any third party fan controls, never have on a Mac and none of them has overheated or failed due to heat-related issues. Maybe back in the days of Apple][ things like that were needed, but today's machines manage very well without additional crapola installed. Frankly, for my money, the less running in the background the better.
    Jake

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Well, we all have our different preferences and experiences! I appreciate the insight offered by everyone- Nick, Patrick, ferrarr and rachalmers included.

Mini definitely seems to be moving better after running the app cleaners suggested by ferrarr last night. I was finally able to get my time capsule to behave somewhat and was able to move a bunch of stuff off my hard drive onto the TC which has made a big difference. Strangely am still seeming to have issues with getting the TC to run it's backup.

I ordered a Seagate 2 TB external drive last night which will be here tomorrow, then I will proceed with the step to clone to the external drive and clear out the internal.

Also wanted to make sure I understand- the mini can only support up to a total of 2 TB for either an SSD or HDD, correct?
    Last edited by cherry_bomb; 06-14-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
    "Treat people as you would like to be treated."

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry_bomb View Post
    Well, we all have our different preferences and experiences! I appreciate the insight offered by everyone- Nick, Patrick, ferrarr and rachalmers included.

Mini definitely seems to be moving better after running the app cleaners suggested by ferrarr last night. I was finally able to get my time capsule to behave somewhat and was able to move a bunch of stuff off my hard drive onto the TC which has made a big difference. Strangely am still seeming to have issues with getting the TC to run it's backup.

I ordered a Seagate 2 TB external drive last night which will be here tomorrow, then I will proceed with the step to clone to the external drive and clear out the internal.

Also wanted to make sure I understand- the mini can only support up to a total of 2 TB for either an SSD or HDD, correct?
    No, go as big as you like. There are no limits on SSD or hdd sizes. Only the depth of your pocket...

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Mini Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    No, go as big as you like. There are no limits on SSD or hdd sizes. Only the depth of your pocket...
    Maybe cherry_bomb was thinking of the size limits imposed with some older Windows formatting that still lingers, or can still occur.

Just a thought...

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pigoo3; 06-14-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM

Awesome! I was looking at this Annotation 2019-06-14 115612.png which is what caused the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=pm-r;1823118]
    No, go as big as you like. There are no limits on SSD or hdd sizes. Only the depth of your pocket.../QUOTE]

Maybe cherry_bomb was thinking of the size limits imposed with some older Windows formatting that still lingers, or can still occur.

Just a thought...

- Patrick
    ======
    Thankfully I haven't been an at home Windows user since about 2009 or so! LOL

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    The only thing I know is the Samsung Pro had compatibility issues with certain older Macs. I'm not sure if OS updates/upgrades overcame that issue, or if it was a hardware compatibility issue.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mini Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    The only thing I know is the Samsung Pro had compatibility issues with certain older Macs. I'm not sure if OS updates/upgrades overcame that issue, or if it was a hardware compatibility issue.

Thanks for that Bob as I was just about to post the same thing about something about the the Samsung Pro drives being a bit goofy with some Macs but couldn't recall the details, but thinking about that, who cares about the details.

I believe harry has posted that info previously. Anyway, I'd be inclined to give them a pass. There are lots of other brands that haven't given any troubles and also for a cheaper price. And it doesn't seem as if the OP is really in need of a bleeding edge super fast SSD. Just a good solid really reliable Mac compatible SSD would be best and almost any would still be more than fast enough.

EDIT:
    This search would be enough to discourage me using the Samsung Pro SSDs:
    Samsung EVO 850 860 SSD Mac problems
    Samsung EVO 850 860 SSD Mac problems - Google Search

NOTE ?: Does that mini need the temp sensing cable that OWC macsales supplies with their replacement drives???

Just a thought and question...

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 06-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Thanks for that Bob as I was just about to post the same thing about something about the the Samsung Pro drives being a bit goofy with some Macs but couldn't recall the details, but thinking about that, who cares about the details.

I believe harry has posted that info previously. Anyway, I'd be inclined to give them a pass. There are lots of other brands that haven't given any troubles and also for a cheaper price. And it doesn't seem as if the OP is really in need of a bleeding edge super fast SSD. Just a good solid really reliable Mac compatible SSD would be best and almost any would still be more than fast enough.

EDIT:
    This search would be enough to discourage me using the Samsung Pro SSDs:
    Samsung EVO 850 860 SSD Mac problems
    Samsung EVO 850 860 SSD Mac problems - Google Search

NOTE ?: Does that mini need the temp sensing cable that OWC macsales supplies with their replacement drives???

Just a thought and question...

- Patrick
    ======
    I'm not sure if it does need the cable. How would I go about finding out?

So the Samsung would be out. What do we think about the OWC vs Crucial?

I probably don't need top of the line, but like I mentioned before I don't mind investing in it, especially if it is going to help with the irritating buffering I am dealing with.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    If you were to upgrade your SSD what would you prefer?

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Me. Crucial.

Mini Upgrade
    If you were to upgrade your SSD what would you prefer?

Considering your novice level and their Mac experience and help, I'd be inclined to suggest OWC and choose which model you prefer, good or better, the latter has a better 5 year warantee I believe.

OWC Solid State Drives For Mac mini (2012)

HDD to SSD Upgrade Kit

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

I have always been satisfied with their products and support.

Be aware that Crucial produces and sells some cheap SSDs with minimal warranty and I bought one for my old 2007 MBPro some years ago as it was not going to be used as a critical drive and was also on super sale and also supported the old slow bus speed of 1.5GB/s that wouldn't concern you or your mini.

So, for you and your Mac mini, I'd suggest OWC: OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

- Patrick
    ======

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Considering your novice level and their Mac experience and help, I'd be inclined to suggest OWC and choose which model you prefer, good or better, the latter has a better 5 year warantee I believe.

OWC Solid State Drives For Mac mini (2012)

HDD to SSD Upgrade Kit

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

I have always been satisfied with their products and support.

Be aware that Crucial produces and sells some cheap SSDs with minimal warranty and I bought one for my old 2007 MBPro some years ago as it was not going to be used as a critical drive and was also on super sale and also supported the old slow bus speed of 1.5GB/s that wouldn't concern you or your mini.

So, for you and your Mac mini, I'd suggest OWC: OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For Mac mini 2012

- Patrick
    ======
    Id agree. Its a good deal, and OWC have excellent support. And products.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Mini Upgrade
    I’d agree. It’s a good deal, and OWC have excellent support. And products.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Thanks rachalmers.
    And all support is good and nice to have, both from us agreeing advisors types and sellers!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information