Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Upgrade

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    I bought my SSD on Amazon. Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Yes, and the instructions I think were from Ifixit
    Thank you! I'll take a look at that one. Was just looking at the ones on Mac Sales that Nick mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    "Treat people as you would like to be treated."

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    If you are going to SSD internal, just do one drive, but make it as big as you can afford. I’ve got a 1TB installed, but now want to move it to 2, or 4 if I can justify the cost. If you want 2 internals, make them both SSD. The cost is coming down all the time.use Crucial SSD as they are very good.
    If you are using HD’s for anything, make sure you use 7200rpm. Anything else will just be too slow.

If I could afford bigger ram chips I’d certainly experiment :-) but hey, no need now, because the latest Mini is a real beast, and can be way upgraded. Just save up for one of them.start upgrading that. My next move :-)

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Assuming you have a hdd in place, is that 5400rpm or 7200. 7200 is much faster. SSD is lightning fast.
    Also, if you have a lot of cpu intensive stuff running... check Activity Monitor. Sort on high cpu usage. See whatís doing it.
    Run a general cleanup in Onyx.

The hard drive is only 5400, so glad there is room for improvement.

Can I upgrade to two SSDs? Or is it better to do one HDD and one SSD?

As far as activity monitor goes, I know Plex Media Server and SABNZBD seem to be a bit hoggish when it comes to memory. I haven't used Onyx before. Should I download and run it?

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    No, 16GB is the max ram, for Mac mini models prior to the 2018 models. See here, Apple Mac mini Specs (All Mac mini Technical Specs): EveryMac.com
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry_bomb View Post
    Soooooo any chance it can be upgraded past the 16GB? Lol See my recent post. Mini UpgradeMini Upgrade臘*♀️
    Nope...16gig of RAM is the max for a 2012 Mac-Mini. Even if the RAM could be increased...I doubt that it would speed things up. After a certain point...more RAM will not speed things up. If the apps you use on a regular basis have all the RAM they need...then having extra RAM will not help. I'm guessing with the 16gig of RAM currently installed...it's more than what's needed.

As far as a possible failing hard drive. Maybe it is...and maybe it isn't. It's a 7 year old computer...so slowness could be a sign of a failing hard drive. Can't really say unless a new HD is installed. And sometimes a hard drive that's too full will cause slowness.

On the other hand...maybe the computer needs some maintenance done on it. If no maintenance has been done on it lately (or ever)...this would be an easy (and free) thing to try first.

Installing an SSD will definitely make the computer feel faster...but you need to remember that the cost/gigabyte for HD's vs. SSD's is much different. For example...a 1TB HD and a 1TB SSD will be very different price. Basically it depends on your budget.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    The hard drive is only 5400, so glad there is room for improvement.

Can I upgrade to two SSDs? Or is it better to do one HDD and one SSD?

As far as activity monitor goes, I know Plex Media Server and SABNZBD seem to be a bit hoggish when it comes to memory. I haven't used Onyx before. Should I download and run it?

Yes, 5400 is the old slow (cheap) drives. Get rid of them for SSD if you can. No reason you canít run 2xSSD. Iím not familiar with the two programs you mention, but the words ďmedia serverĒ are a bit of a clue. Donít know what SABNZBD is. But if they are high CPU users and high disk throughput users, they will certainly slow you down.
    To give you an idea. Mine runs a lot of stuff in the background. It used to take minutes... to start up. On a 5400 hdd. I put in the SSD and now it takes about 8 seconds to fully start up.
    I always use Carbon Copy Clone to make a bootable clone of my main drive. Run it once a week. When I swapped,just cloned the hdd to the SSD, swapped them in/out and booted up. Nearly fell out of my chair at the speed difference.
    Iím running a web server, mail server, and lots of other stuff. Really fast now. Just running out of room!

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mini Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Nope...16gig of RAM is the max for a 2012 Mac-Mini. Even if the RAM could be increased...I doubt that it would speed things up. After a certain point...more RAM will not speed things up. If the apps you use on a regular basis have all the RAM they need...then having extra RAM will not help. I'm guessing with the 16gig of RAM currently installed...it's more than what's needed.

As far as a possible failing hard drive. Maybe it is...and maybe it isn't. It's a 7 year old computer...so slowness could be a sign of a failing hard drive. Can't really say unless a new HD is installed. And sometimes a hard drive that's too full will cause slowness.

On the other hand...maybe the computer needs some maintenance done on it. If no maintenance has been done on it lately (or ever)...this would be an easy (and free) thing to try first.

Installing an SSD will definitely make the computer feel faster...but you need to remember that the cost/gigabyte for HD's vs. SSD's is much different. For example...a 1TB HD and a 1TB SSD will be very different price. Basically it depends on your budget.

- Nick
    I can afford to invest in a decent sized SSD, at least a 1TB, possibly 2 depending on which maker I go with. Is there any reason to add a new HD, too? Or can I just install a large SSD and transfer everything over internally? Then at some point in the future add a second SSD for back up purposes? Or would it be better to use an external drive?

And yes...it can probably use some maintenance. Mini Upgrade is there a program I can use for that?

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    The speed increase comes with making your SSD the boot drive. Just get 1 big one (2 TB+) and clone it.

In the meantime, download Onyx and just run it with its defaults. Reboot, and you should notice a difference. Just check the settings first though in case it wants to cleanup something you donít want it todo. It cleans out lots of rubbish. Full hdd really slows down your system.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    I can afford to invest in a decent sized SSD, at least a 1TB, possibly 2 depending on which maker I go with. Is there any reason to add a new HD, too? Or can I just install a large SSD and transfer everything over internally? Then at some point in the future add a second SSD for back up purposes? Or would it be better to use an external drive?
    2012 Mac-Mini's (as far as installed internal drives) came in two versions...a "regular" version...and a server version. The "regular" version came with a storage drive (hard drive) and an optical drive (DVD/CD drive). The 2012 server version came with two hard drives (no optical drive).

If your 2012 Mac-Mini has an optical drive...and you no longer need the optical drive...then you could install two internal storage drives (I believe a special install kit may be needed for the 2nd storage drive).

Member "rachalmers" mentioned having two internal drives installed...one HD & one SSD. This is a nice setup...since the SSD can be setup to be your boot drive (where the macOS is installed)...which makes everything feel faster...then you can install a large HD as the 2nd drive. This way you get the benefit of the speed of an SSD...and the lower storage cost (gigs/$$$) of a larger SSD.

But if a large 1TB SSD works for you...then just installing one drive is fine.

And yes...it can probably use some maintenance. Mini Upgrade is there a program I can use for that?
    The app I usually recommend is called "Onyx". You download & install Onyx...open it...click on the "Execute" button (or whatever it's called...it changes with the version of Onyx)...then let it do it's thing. This is the default thing to do. I wouldn't mess with anything else...unless you know what you're doing. This can take a while (maybe 10-15 minutes sometimes).

- Nick

p.s. Looks like rachalmers beat me to it...our answers very similar.
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Yes, exactly what I did Nick. Changing the drives and installing that second internal drive is not for the faint hearted though, and you do need the kit for either operation. Just swapping out the old drive or doing the dual internal. You canít do it without the kit. My mini was not a CD-ROM type one.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, you can put two drives in your 2012 Mac mini, Mac mini Late 2012 Repair - iFixit, but there is a kit needed. You could always get one SSD and a 4TB or larger HDD.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, exactly what I did Nick. Changing the drives and installing that second internal drive is not for the faint hearted though, and you do need the kit for either operation. Just swapping out the old drive or doing the dual internal. You can’t do it without the kit. My mini was not a CD-ROM type one.
    Ahh...sounds like you have the server version.

Yes I agree...swapping out the original hard drive for a new HD or an SSD...is definitely more involved than installing RAM on a 2012 Mac-Mini. And if someone has never done any work on the inside of a computer before (unplugging delicate cables, removing screws, etc.)...and doesn't have the proper tools...this may be a bit involved. But it's not too bad of a first project if someone is properly motivated or curious/interested.

And removing the original optical drive...and replacing it with a 2nd internal storage drive is an even more involved project (might be better off just replacing the original drive)...less complex.

- Nick

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    From mid 2011 forward, the mini have not had optical drives.
    -- Bob --

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ahh...sounds like you have the server version.

Yes I agree...swapping out the original hard drive for a new HD or an SSD...is definitely more involved than installing RAM on a 2012 Mac-Mini. And if someone has never done any work on the inside of a computer before (unplugging delicate cables, removing screws, etc.)...and doesn't have the proper tools...this may be a bit involved. But it's not too bad of a first project if someone is properly motivated or curious/interested.

And removing the original optical drive...and replacing it with a 2nd internal storage drive is an even more involved project (might be better off just replacing the original drive)...less complex.

- Nick
    Nope. Started life as a bog standard Mini. Sorry @Nick.

Mini Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    From mid 2011 forward, the mini have not had optical drives.
    You're 100% correct Bob...my bad. Got my models mixed up!

- Nick

p.s. Luckily having 2 internal storage drives in a 2012 Mac-Mini is still correct/possible.

Thread Information