Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mac Mini flickering distorted image
    I have a mac mini 2011 running 10.11.6. I have it plugged in to a 32" Inves TV via VGA. Its all been working fine and now suddenly the image is flickering and distorting whilst I work. Its hard to explain. It seems to do it whenever the mac is doing something. A program loading, or moving graphics in illustrator and every time I make a key press typing this. Does anybody know what this is and if it's possible to fix? Any urgent help would be appreciated as I work freelance and have a huge design job on at the moment

I have noticed when I reduce the underscan in display settings it stops, but I have to reduce it a lot to do it.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tiger-kai; 05-27-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added video links

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Have you tried a new cable and adapter? Also, VGA does not provide a digital signal, just analog. Not the best to use.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Have you tried a new cable and adapter? Also, VGA does not provide a digital signal, just analog. Not the best to use.
    Not yet. I'll try my HDMI cable tomorrow but the image is horrible through that. I use thunderbolt to VGA and the image is perfect. I may have to buy another thunderbolt cable or adapter to try and see.

Your Mac's Specs
    HDMI should give you a more desirable signal than VGA. As a matter of fact, just about anything is better than VGA. Try another cable and adapter and let us know.

Unfortunately I can't try another adapter and cable so quickly. Is there anything else I could try until I buy one?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Can you change the display from 60hz to 50hz. Or the other way round.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

I don't have the option to change to 50/60hz. Just the choice of two resolutions. It's the same on both.

I've tried a hd cable and the Apple logo came up but the screen and a yellow tint and vertical lines all the way across. And after the logo it my TV just says unsupported. Anything else I can try? Thanks

I've tried booting in to safe mode and PRAM reset. Nothing changed. Changing the cable isn't an option for a few days unfortunately

I've tried it on our main TV with a hd cable and it's the same with the screen flickering all over. So I guess that rules out cables. Is there anything I can do to get it working again?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Itís beginning to look like your video output is on the fritz. And being a mini, unless itís still under warranty you canít repair it. Thereís no actual video card.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    I doubt it's the graphic card since that's integrated to the logic board. And I've never heard of a Mini with that type of problem with graphics. The flickering indicates either a loose connection or bad connection.

@tiger-kai:

Which Mini do you have? Model and year? I'd like to look it up on ifixit.com to see about the graphics and output connectors.

Hi, it's Mac mini mid 2011..... I can't remember the rest of the details off by heart and I've taken it to the local shop to have a look at. He suspects it's the motherboard.... So basically buy another.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just looked up your model Mini. According to Mactracker, it has one HDMI output port which will support one display. There are actually two different models that year, one with Intel HD graphics and the other with AMD graphics. Both are integrated to the Logic board (motherboard).

It would be a shame to have to buy another Mini if it's just the output connector that's bad. But I suspect in order to change the connector, the entire board would have to be replaced. Your Mini is going on 8 years old so it may be time to replace it anyway. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. It's the Intel version. I've used the hdmi out and the DVI out and they both had the same results.
    Anyway, went to the shop and he said it's the graphics chip that's burnt out so it needs replacing and due to the cost, it's not worth it as he said its not always success ful and will probably go again.not had much luck with my last few Mac's.... Might change to PCs

Thread Information