Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mac Mini flickering distorted image
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'm surprised to hear that it's the graphics chip. I've never seen another Mini with that problem. Anyway, regardless of what the cause is, your Mini has served you for 8 years. Time to move on to something else. If you do choose a PC, make sure you get something that will last. I recommend Dell or Lenovo and stay away from anything built by Microsoft (Surface computers). Good luck.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I doubt it's the graphic card since that's integrated to the logic board. And I've never heard of a Mini with that type of problem with graphics. The flickering indicates either a loose connection or bad connection.

@tiger-kai:

Which Mini do you have? Model and year? I'd like to look it up on ifixit.com to see about the graphics and output connectors.
    Yep... like I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Well I was using it every day lately and I use massive Photoshop and illustrator files. I know it's not really built for that sort of thing but I was moving countries at the time and needed something small for whenni move. Ive always used iMac's. I'm not sure what to buy next. I need something good for graphics work and that will last long. I think I need a laptop this time. I'm not sure how good the Mac books are for that sort of thing. My biggest problem now is having to subscribe to creative cloud since I can't really install cs6 now and it's getting a bit old now.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I have an extremely hard time believing your GPU is "burnt". And I will straight up say that person who said so is an idiot.
    In fact, I'd bet $100 that it's not burnt for 3 simple reasons:

1. Apple computers are notorious for being super picky with video cable adapters, especially when dealing with multiple monitors, active/passive adapters, scanning, and going from digital to analog.
    2. Your Mac Mini generation is known for having flickering issues due to the way the software processes video and audio.
    3. A "burnt" GPU doesn't match up with symptoms of random flickering. A burnt GPU usually is caused excessive power/voltage, and once it "burns", it's dead. You CAN'T have a burnt GPU while it's still working. It's an oxymoron. That's what a burned GPU is synonymous for, not a random flickering that occurs once in a while. Run away from that store before they open it up and actually burn the GPU themselves!

I've had PLENTY of trials and errors getting 3x1080p and a 4k TV running perfectly with my MacPro, as well as 2 other Mac Pros. I've gone through 20+ passive/active video adapters. Quality active adapters solved all my problems! I've taken apart adapters bought from Amazon, and though they have different plastic shells, they all have the same junk chips.

Every now and then, your computer will be processing more video/audio than can be put out over your video cable. This causes the screen to "flicker" or go black for random durations.
    Most common video adapters are passive adapters. They are common because they are the cheapest.
    All passive video adapters do is receive and PASS signals onto the next connection that is made, regardless if there is an issue with too much data passing over the cable.
    Active adapters are usually something people never know about, and they cost more. When using active adapters, the adapter itself will accept the data handed off by the computer, and process it into a stream of data that is then forwarded cleanly onto the end device- a TV for example. If it weren't for the ridiculous influx of Chinese made junk, these active adapters would always work like a dream, but most you find on Amazon are cheap junk because they all want to save a buck.

My suggestion would be to try an ACTIVE adapter. They are more expensive, but you can find them at Best Buy, Apple, Micro Center, and etc. Trust me when I say this, buy only from a reputable supplier in person! And if it doesn't work, it's an easy return.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

My suggestion would be to try an ACTIVE adapter. They are more expensive, but you can find them at Best Buy, Apple, Micro Center, and etc. Trust me when I say this, buy only from a reputable supplier in person! And if it doesn't work, it's an easy return.
    +1.
    I would tend to agree, even though I do not have much experience with the Mac Mini, nor it's often handicapped video that Apple seems to employ.
    It's certainly worth a try and won't cost that much compared to a new Mac if it does work.

Sort of reminds me of the days of the video adapters with dip switches we had to use, and even with those, often the cheap knockoffs would not work, but the more expensive Sony adapters always did. Even though I'm not a fan of Sony!!!

Have a browse through these:
    Whatís the Difference Between Passive and Active DisplayPort Adapters?
    Whatís the Difference Between Passive and Active DisplayPort Adapters? | Tripp Lite Blog
    and
    Passive Adapter vs. Active Adapter, that is the question
    Passive Adapter vs. Active Adapter, that is the question

Actually, and to be honest, I probably would not have thought of using an active adapter until iggibar mentioned it. And I'm assuming Apple supports them fully with their older Mini models and their graphics configurations.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-30-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I replied to the OP that I didn't believe it was the GPU and IGGI agrees with me. Some shop owners who have little or no experience working on Macs will tell the owner that it's the motherboard which is bad. Granted, his Mini is over 8 years old and probably should be replaced anyway but considering he's been using his TV as a monitor, it's very likely the connector itself is bad. I've never run into a Mac with integrated Intel graphics that the graphics chipset was bad.

I replied to the OP that I didn't believe it was the GPU and IGGI agrees with me.
    ... ... ...
    it's very likely the connector itself is bad.

That would be very nice if the fix was as simple as replacing or changing the connector and/or cable.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Not an easy fix if the connector is bad. The entire logic board would have to be replaced as the female portion of the connector is part of the board.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Looking around the internet, it seems this was a common problem with this model, especially the AMD chip model. I donít see any solutions to it out there either. So you may be out of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    This is interesting. I've had my mini do this on several occasions, but it doesn't flicker it just turns pink. Super annoying! Reading through to see if you figured out what caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    "Treat people as you would like to be treated."

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Yes, mine does that now and then. Turn off the monitor, unplug it, plug it back in and turn on. Usually fixes it.

Thread Information