Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What Percent of People Prefer Mac Over PC?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Usually we try to stay away from most Mac vs. PC discussions...since many times passions run high...but this is a pretty interesting article:

What Percent of People Prefer Mac Over PC? | Other World Computing Blog

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I see that every time I take the train in Canada in the busy Montreal to Toronto corridor.
    When I walk through the car, most of the people who are using laptops are using Macs.
    If I had to put a number on it I would say about 85/15 Mac vs PC.

And I have observed this over and over again for years.

james r cutler @ 5:17 pm on may 24, 2019
    autocorrect got me

“winter” should be “winter”

james r cutler @ 5:17 pm on may 24, 2019
    “winter” should be “winter”

james r cutler @ 5:18 pm on may 24, 2019
    wintel!!!!!!!!

lol!!!

And I have observed this over and over again for years.

Have you noticed how many people in the background when a news station does almost any sort of story or coverage, the number of Macs in the background the people are using is amazing lately.

And they sure don't seem to be apple advertising plants.

- Patrick
    ======

I think after purchasing my 1st iMac in 2012 I would never go back to a PC unless I was forced too.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I am not trying to be controversial, but would like to inject a little scientific reality, having read the Link and a summary of the original paper. I have NOT read the entire original paper as that required a payment!!

This is the statement put out by the Study Group -

“Jamf is committed to enabling IT to empower end users and bring the legendary Apple experience to businesses, education and government organizations via its product portfolio, and the 80,000 members of Jamf Nation. Today, 30,000 global customers rely on Jamf to manage 14 million Apple devices.”

Conflict of interest? Truly unbiased?

1. 2200 is a tiny number in any scientific study where there are many millions of users (the original paper quotes 14 million Apple users alone. How many more Windows’ users?)

2. The 2200 were spread across five countries!

3. All were College Students or equivalent

4. Comparison was between Windows’ Laptops & Apple Notebooks

Suppose we looked at 750,000 users or more

Say we broke them up into age groups (18-25; 25-40; 40-60; over 60s)

Lets split them into Income Groups (crucial given the relative costs of the two products being investigated)

Divide usage into Social (ie private), Study, Business

Ideally one would like to look at other countries as they did, but the study numbers needed would escalate - and diversity of incomes, ethnicity, access to computers etc makes that a non-starter. So let’s stick with the USA.

I suspect the results would be very different.

And what a huge difference there would be if we compared Desktops!

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I am not trying to be controversial, but would like to inject a little scientific reality, having read the Link and a summary of the original paper.
    I'm thinking the article is more aspirational/emotional based...rather than factual/logical. Most of the actual sales data over the years that I've seen (computer sales)...have hovered around Windows PC market share being around 90%...Apple computer share around 10%.

If that's true (the aspirational/emotional part)...imagine how many frustrated Windows users there are out there that REALLY want to use & own an Apple computer...but are too "afraid" or "peer-pressured" into using a Windows computer (because everybody else does...90%).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
    Take the survey in Starbucks. Seems every time I've been in there (for the wife's latte. I have cheaper tastes) the place is wall-to-wall MBPs with the occasional iPad. Maybe they spent so much on the laptop, they need the free wifi?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Let me make a few comments about this subject that I have observed over the last 50 years.

First off - most businesses use Windows POC's rather than Macs. There are a few types of businesses that favour Macs, but by far the majority use PCs and Windows simply because the business world used DOS and the Windows way back when.
    As to sales data - the company I worked at for many years, global in nature with around 100000 employees worldwide used to use Macs when I started to work there and after a few years switched to PCs.
    The only reason was the initial procurement cost, a decision by some executive but nobody at the company later wanted to owe up to because the longer term costs to use PCs ended up much higher than when the company used Macs.
    For example, at the division I worked at with about 2000 employees, in the "Mac era" we had one support person who looked after all the Computer (probably about 1000) at that location as well as after the PBX (telephone system). After the company switched to Windows PCs, that division alone had to hire three more IT people so they could try to keep up with the issues that needed to be addressed daily.
    I remember people coming in in the morning, booting up their PC and then having a leisurely coffee for 15 to 20 minutes and when they returned to their desk, the PC was still booting. I also remember having to wait until after lunch before an IT person could come upstairs to see what was wrong with my PC and why it wouldn't boot up. During that time, productivity was in the toilet - this was a "high tech" company and we depended on the use of the PC on an ongoing basis.
    As to the sales numbers - when we switched to PC's, the company ended up buying new Dell machines every 18 months or so, Macs before that were "refreshed only every 3 - 4 years.
    So all in all, the switch from Macs to PCs was a bit of a fiasco and there was a lot of push to go back to Macs.
    However this was also the time when it looked as if Apple was going to go under, so the PC's were retained.

And the comment I made earlier about my observations on the train.
    Turns out most people that take the train are either young females, college age and older people - for their private use they mostly prefer Macs even at a higher price.
    Most people I know who use PCs personally are male, middle aged, and they usually drive instead of taking the train.

The problems I described earlier that we encountered with PCs was ith early versions of Windows, things are obviously much better now.
    However, I'm still amazed how often I have to wait on line when speaking to the support organization of some company while sthe support person is apologizing because her PC crashed and she is waiting for it to reboot. And every time I ask, the OS they are using is Windows.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Ian, while I agree with you that the Study Group looks like it has bias, the sample size of 2200 is certainly adequate, if the sample is truly random, for a statistical analysis. And if the results are significant enough, you can get to the 95/99% level to say the results did not occur by chance alone. Adding more to the sample size will reduce the difficulty of reaching the 95/99% level of confidence, but that alone does not disqualify the total result. Political polling uses tiny fractions of the voting population to make statements about the probability for candidates using the same statistical approach. Ditto for dividing into the groups you suggested. That division just makes it more difficult for the 95/99% level to be reached because the sample size goes down because you've divided the whole into smaller units.

For more, Wikipedia has a short article on Statistical Significance: Statistical significance - Wikipedia
    And SPSS has a tutorial on it at: Statistical Significance - Beginners Tutorial and Examples
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    L.....The only reason was the initial procurement cost, a decision by some executive but nobody at the company later wanted to owe up to because the longer term costs to use PCs ended up much higher than when the company used Macs.

... As to the sales numbers - when we switched to PC's, the company ended up buying new Dell machines every 18 months or so, Macs before that were "refreshed only every 3 - 4 years.
    So true! I was an educator for 30 years. We started in the early '80's with Apple computers that ran without any issues until they were shoved in a closet and replaced by IBM PCs. I learned how to fix my first computer on one of those IBMs. As the PCs aged, we would cob together parts and try to keep them running until the next state influx of technology monies came and we could upgrade. For some reason the state determined that would be every ten years. When we did replace computers we had to be careful to purchase machines with software included as the state would not pay for software unless it came installed on the machine. Since the PC manufactures would bundle software that gave us more bang for our bucks - we bought from them - usually Dell or Gateway. We also were training little PC users who would go out and buy a home PC computer. At that time Apple did not offer competitive pricing and they still don't.

Today, I have found the biggest reason most people will not buy a mac is the cost. I have tried to explain that whatever mac laptop model they choose will more than likely, be running just fine many years down the road while the PC laptop will need replaced in somewhere under two years. Since most users are more familiar with PCs and Windows, thanks to learning on them in school, changing to a different OS is a bit daunting. Of course now in our area as we are always underfunded, Chromebooks are a big hit as they are really cheap.

Oh well... at work I have 5 macs and 14 PCs to deal with. I really don't mind the PCs - they provide me with job security!

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I'm glad I provoked a good feedback response.

As you may know, I have used Apple products exclusively since 2007/8.

I'm happy with my choice. There's just a part of me that is used to publishing scientific papers and analysing the same and find surveys of small groups by those with a potential bias, amusing if not distracting.

Believe me, this happens in medicine too, where "big pharma" sponsor studies that are only published if the results suit the company. It's life.

I temporarily enjoyed being provocative; generally outside my comfort zone

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The US Federal government and most state governments use Windows PCs. Back when I was hired on, all the machines were IBM PS2s or Compaqs. Later on the IBMs were replaced by Dells. I would be surprised if any government agency even today is using Macs.

I do agree with Kevin's observation about the amount of Macs or iPads that are in use at Starbucks. Most of the folks that I see using Macs in Starbucks are young, probably college students or high school students. The more mature folks that hang out there are usually using the free WiFi with their iPhones.

Oh well... at work I have 5 macs and 14 PCs to deal with. I really don't mind the PCs - they provide me with job security!

That's exactly the reason several local government employed techs I know have to support and suggest using Windows based computeres. Not surprisingly they all usee Macs as the own personal computers.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    That's exactly the reason several local government employed techs I know have to support and suggest using Windows based computers. Not surprisingly they all use Macs as the own personal computers.

- Patrick
    ======

While I can make light of it - reality is the lowest bid gets the contract in education. As for the government... well, I keep hearing about how they will pay $1000 for a hammer?

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Thread Information