Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mac Mini not booting (fan is on, no HDMI signal, keyboard capslock does not light up)
    Hello,

I'm having a very strange problem with my Mac Mini 2010. My Mac Mini was using High Sierra and I believe it is possible it was having a software update when I had a power outage yesterday.

• When power was restored, I've been unable to get it to properly boot.
    • When I turn it on, the front light goes on and I can hear the sound of a fan; however, there is no HDMI signal and no startup chime whatsoever.
    • When I turn it on and hear the fan, I tried hitting the caps lock key on my USB Apple keyboard and unfortunately the LED does not go on, so I'm unsure if the keyboard is even being recognised.
    • I've tried resetting the PRAM, but I don't think it's recognising the keyboard and I hear no chimes.
    • I can't reset the SMC, because the instructions state to wait 5 seconds after plugging it back in to restart it; however, the Mac Mini starts automatically the moment I plug it in.

I am at a loss at what to do next. I purchased a Thunderbolt cable and it will be here in an hour or so, so I can maybe connect it to my iMac as a drive, but with the keyboard not appearing to be working I'm not sure if that will even be possible.

I appreciate any suggestions!

I incorrectly stated it was a 2014 model, when it is in fact a 2010 model.
    Last edited by DubheasaNi; 04-09-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: It's a 2010 and not a 2014

Mac Mini not booting (fan is on, no HDMI signal, keyboard capslock does not light up)
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Can you give us more information about your iMac? Do you happen to have a USB keyboard?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

It is a Mac Mini a1347 (2014)

It is connected to an Apple USB keyboard.

Thank you

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I thought you have a Mac mini, and an iMac?

You can use Target Disk Mode, What Is Target Disk Mode? How and When to Use It on Your Mac. Do it on the mini, then connect to your iMac. It should show p as an external drive on your iMac.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by DubheasaNi View Post
    It is a Mac Mini a1347 (2014)

It is connected to an Apple USB keyboard.

Thank you
    I suspect the power outage and then coming back on may have damaged the hard drive in your Mac Mini. Try the target mode that Bob recommended but if you're in an area that has power outages, you should use an UPS or a surge protected power strip.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I suspect the power outage and then coming back on may have damaged the hard drive in your Mac Mini. Try the target mode that Bob recommended but if you're in an area that has power outages, you should use an UPS or a surge protected power strip.
    I use a Mac Mini as well so I'm interested in this situation and possible resolution.

As to the hard drive being damaged, that is possible, but the Mini start up sequence doesn't get anywhere close to the hard drive loading the OS.

With the light coming on, the fan coming on, but the start up chime not - seems like the Mini is stuck at BootROM initialization.
    Understanding Mac boot Process - Hawkdive

I would try removing one of the RAMs and then try each one of the RAMs individually in each slot

Your Mac's Specs
    The Mini may have power supply damage as well. Or it could just be the power supply that's gone south. I missed the part about the missing boot chime. BTW, I miss the boot chime as my iMac is a newer model that no longer chimes for the POST.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thanks Charley for mentioning the new iMacs not chiming anymore. That is sad.

To the OP. When the power came back on did you see any kind of a surge like lights going really bright for a second? If so and you have no UPS/Surge protector it probably blew something in the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I thought you have a Mac mini, and an iMac?
    You can use Target Disk Mode, What Is Target Disk Mode? How and When to Use It on Your Mac. Do it on the mini, then connect to your iMac. It should show p as an external drive on your iMac.
    Thank you, sorry I was confused by what you meant. I also have an iMac 27-inch Late 2013 - I have my cable and will try that. Is there any concern that when I plug the USB keyboard in, that the capslock light doesn't go on when pressed? I'm concerned that anything I do that requires a keyboard isn't going to work because it doesn't appear to be recognising the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    With the light coming on, the fan coming on, but the start up chime not - seems like the Mini is stuck at BootROM initialization.

I would try removing one of the RAMs and then try each one of the RAMs individually in each slot
    I will give this a try this afternoon when I am back from work.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Thanks Charley for mentioning the new iMacs not chiming anymore. That is sad.

To the OP. When the power came back on did you see any kind of a surge like lights going really bright for a second? If so and you have no UPS/Surge protector it probably blew something in the power supply.
    I didn't notice this happening, but it's possible. I'm in Ireland so while power outages are sadly not unusual, it isn't very common where I am - in fact this is the first one I've had in 6 years.

I use a Mac Mini as well so I'm interested in this situation and possible resolution.

As to the hard drive being damaged, that is possible, but the Mini start up sequence doesn't get anywhere close to the hard drive loading the OS.

I went home and did this. I removed all the RAM and tried turning it on. I am greeted with a low sounding BEEP followed by about five seconds of silence then BEEP and then another five seconds of silence then BEEP.

I then powered off and tried removing the RAM and trying each one individually in each slot. No chime and no change in behaviour.

Your Mac's Specs
    The 2014 Mac mini, has soldered in ram, no removable option. Thatís why the SMC reset is important.

Bob -

-- Bob --

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    The 2014 Mac mini, has soldered in ram, no removable option. That’s why the SMC reset is important.

Bob -
    You're right, that's what's stated on the every Mac website.
    I have a 2012 Mini which still uses replacable RAM.

But if the RAM is in fact soldered, then what did the OP remove per post # 10?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7

I am then wondering if he has a 2014 or a newer one as I get this from OWC and other sites:

Unfortunately, the "Late 2014" Mac mini models have soldered RAM that cannot be upgraded after the initial system purchase. ... The RAM in these models cannot be upgraded later. The current "Late 2018" Mac mini models triumphantly return with two memory slots and use even faster 2666 MHz PC4-21300 DDR4 SO-DIMMs.

Your Mac's Specs

I missed that. I was using the iOS MF app, and it went right to your post.

Obviously, they are not using a Late 2014 Mac mini.

Bob -

-- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    He likely has an older Mac Mini, probably a Late 2012 model (sold by Apple until 2014) which had two removable memory slots and could take up to 16 GB.

Thread Information