Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    He likely has an older Mac Mini, probably a Late 2012 model (sold by Apple until 2014) which had two removable memory slots and could take up to 16 GB.
    Actually, I'm far more daft than that..my apologies.

I went to the Authorised Apple Reseller in Ireland, because we do not have Apple Stores here and brought it in. Apparently, it is actually a 2010 model. I thought it was 2014, because I had looked up the model number on a website and it said 2014. This coincided with what my father said when I took it off him, that he got it in 2014. Apologies for being dumb.

CompuB told me that given the age of the Mac Mini, they would not be able to assist me if the issue was hardware.

I went to various mac repair places in Dublin and was turned away, no one would touch this. I found a place in Limerick that stated I should try to take the hard drive out because he said if the hard drive is damaged I could be having these symptoms.

Dubheasa
    Last edited by DubheasaNi; 04-09-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Mac Mini not booting (fan is on, no HDMI signal, keyboard capslock does not light up)
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Have a look at ifixit.com, Mac mini Mid 2010 Repair - iFixit, for replacing the hard drive repair guide. See if it is something you may be comfortable attempting.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by DubheasaNi View Post
    I found a place in Limerick that stated I should try to take the hard drive out because he said if the hard drive is damaged I could be having these symptoms.

Dubheasa
    I really doubt it's the hard drive - if it was only the hard drive you should at least hear the chime which is part of the boot up process but does not involve the hard drive.

If you have a back up or even just an external, you could use that to essentially bypass the internal hard drive.

But now that we know it's a 2010 Mini, people will be able to make more appropriate suggestions.

I always try to determine the root cause of the problem before replacing parts.

So let me get this straight...

You said:
    I can't reset the SMC, because the instructions state to wait 5 seconds after plugging it back in to restart it; however, the Mac Mini starts automatically the moment I plug it in.
    So you disconnected the power cord from the Mini completely for a short while and then when you plugged the power back in the Mini started right away by itself without you doing anything else?

Mac Mini not booting (fan is on, no HDMI signal, keyboard capslock does not light up)
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I have to agree with member "krs" that it's not likely the hard drive. Probably a failed or weakened power supply. Good advice here is not to spend any more money on it and start saving up for a newer Mini or other newer Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by DubheasaNi View Post
    I went home and did this. I removed all the RAM and tried turning it on. I am greeted with a low sounding BEEP followed by about five seconds of silence then BEEP and then another five seconds of silence then BEEP.

I then powered off and tried removing the RAM and trying each one individually in each slot. No chime and no change in behaviour.
    Well, this tells you that the boot up at least gets to the RAM test and that everything is OK as far as the RAM is concerned.

That is correct. The moment I plug it in, it turns itself on. I do not press the button.

I'm about to try to take the hard drives out now and see how I get on.

Many thanks,

Dubheasa

Thread Information